Recent Apple Announcements June 3rd

Discussion in 'Apple/iOS' started by darkmagistric, Jun 3, 2019.

1. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

So Apple made a bunch of announcements today.

https://gizmodo.com/everything-apple-announced-today-1835212927

2 things of notable interest to us of the Tablet PC Niche.

1. MacOS's new build Catalina....will have a new feature called Sidecar. That allows you to properly use an iPad as a secondary display to a Mac...and specially to be used as a drawing tablet. Although there have been 3rd party Apps that could do this...like Duet Display and Astropad.....Given this is now directly coded into the OS....I'd imagine Apples solution will probably work much better then any of the 3rd party apps. This will also be a pretty major blow to Wacom I'd imagine.

2. IpadOS - a variant of iOS....to make an iPad more laptop like.....whole bunch of changes and tweaks....but the biggest boon......the files app will now be able to share files and can fully access external Thumb Drives, Hard Drives, and SD Cards.

Having just recently gotten the Mini 5....the latter bit makes me pretty happy since I've been trying to find a solution to just that. Although now I am wishing more and more they did make the new Mini with USB-C instead.

2. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

I always thought that the advantage of the iPad was that it ran the same OS as the iPhone. I wonder if adding another OS is a good or bad idea. Good of course, if it comes from Apple.

3. Cuberdon75

Cuberdon75 Scribbler - Standard Member

... and still no mouse/cursor support?

4. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

That will never come.

5. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Turns out mouse support is actually available as an accessibility setting, and bluetooth mice are said to be supported. Never say never!

6. dellaster

dellaster Technomad Senior Member

After reading up on it I'm now looking forward to a feature update for the first time since... Win8.1, probably. ;)

The extra Pencil functionality and ease of doing notations on pretty much anything should be great for me. And direct access to hard drives and thumb drives? It's about time. Very sweet, though I wonder if I'll be able to use my current drives with an adapter or if it will require the Apple format?

One of the less discussed new things, Sign in with Apple, is something I especially look forward to.
    https://www.macrumors.com/2019/06/03/sign-in-with-apple-required-as-sign-in-option/

JoeS likes this.
  7. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Yeah, that sounds great. Spammer specific fake email addresses that you can disable at any time? Yes please!! Will also be interesting to see who shares your fake address with who.

Apparently apple is planning to make this feature mandatory for any app that has Google and/or Facebook sign-in. Interesting..

Last edited: Jun 4, 2019
    dstrauss likes this.
  8. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Anyone else feel the excitement almost palpable during the reveal of the Mac Pro?

For once, Tim Cook doesn't look he's machining his face into a smile...he looks vibrant, cheerful...Tim $#^ Cook!

And look at this thing!

[​IMG]

Now tell me if that doesn't emanate solid, no-nonsense power. A beautiful example 21st-century industrial design.

Well done, Apple.

Chris_Kez likes this.
  9. paprikaleapt

paprikaleapt Scribbler - Standard Member

1. RIP duet and astropad

2. But there's still no touchpad support and cursor, correct? Dead to me! Dead!
    I jest. It's a step in the right direction.

The MacBook touchpad is one of the best parts about the Apple experience.

10. paprikaleapt

paprikaleapt Scribbler - Standard Member

Because it is one of the last things forcing people to buy both a MacBook and an ipad?

Because Apples knows that their super powerful tablets are easily able to cannablize their MacBook sales if they take the touchpad support plunge?

I wonder if a third party will crack this. Or if apple will stomp them.