Really disappointed with Application Development for Tablet PC's

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by DRTigerlilly, Mar 31, 2018.

1. dbrn

dbrn Scribbler - Standard Member

Just to add to the confusion, I searched 'font maker' and it was the second hit down. I'm in Edmonton, on 1709. Looking forward to trying this out!

2. tcassidy

tcassidy Pen Pal - Newbie

Must be a U.S. thing. I get it on the 'Apps' row with a 'font maker' search as well. And at the top with a 'Microsoft font' search.
    I'm in Ladysmith BC.
    Terry

3. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

@tcassidy : Terry; haven't seen you in a while! Hope that all goes well for you.

As for Font Maker, still no joy. Neither of your searches works. Maybe there's some US IP thing going on...?!??

4. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

I'm on the Insider Builds and I was able to get the My Font tool and created both a Cursive and Normal font :)

5. dellaster

dellaster Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

For me, I think it's because I'm on Cortana's s-list. Ever since she was born on Windows I've shut her down immediately whenever she asked for my personal information. I bet she's pissed and she's taking revenge. :confused:

6. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Can you share just how you completely shut her down? I don't see her or hear from her, but she's jumping around my task manager using more resource than I would like to accord to her.

7. dellaster

I just meant the usual privacy options. And I get rid of her search on the taskbar. I think Microsoft uses Cortana for all the indexing and everything for Windows 10 so it's pretty much impossible to completely get rid of her.

lovelaptops likes this.
  8. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

I've read that you usta-could (don't know if it always controlled indexing) but it looked pretty complicated. I'm fine having her nowhere in sight except on TM. Still loving it and I just picked up a 2017 pen for $51 and looking forward to discovering just how much of its improvements will translate to the 2015 hdwe. I'll report in on that thread.

dellaster likes this.
  9. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

This is slightly tangential to the topic, but the news that Microsoft is "repositioning " Cortana is just one more example of their failure to maintain any kind of foothold in app development:

https://www.neowin.net/news/microso...uctivity-assistant-rather-than-a-personal-one

(Courtesy of NeoWin site)

It makes one wonder if Microsoft shouldn't just make Windows a compatible framework for Android and then just import all of Android's content...

dellaster likes this.
  10. dellaster

I wish it wasn't so, but I'm now convinced that Windows Store apps have as much of a future as Windows Phone did. They're trying once again (Windows S and WOA) to go head-to-head against IOS and Android and there's no way they can survive in that competition.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2018