Really disappointed with Application Development for Tablet PC's

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by DRTigerlilly, Mar 31, 2018.

1. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Yeah, that'd be a neat trick --- given how simultaneously technologically successful, but utterly not impactful Automator was for Mac OS X even despite good support from and integration w/ Applescript, and how miserable it is to try to script in Windows once one gets away from Microsoft apps, the only thing it could be successful at is tightening Microsoft's control of things.

2. jhoff80

jhoff80 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

They also have disbanded the team working on Photos, Story Remix, Paint 3D, and some HoloLens stuff so they're giving up more consumer areas. Don't get me wrong, Paint 3D and Story Remix were pretty much failures (though I think Story Remix would have been better as a separate app named something related to what it actual does, which is lightweight video editing), but I mean, Photos is pretty important to what a ton of consumers use computers for.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/micro...its-latest-reorg-with-more-employee-shuffles/

And on top of that they discontinued Groove for iOS and Android as of today. Which means they no longer care about driving OneDrive subscriptions for the consumer as a way to let people stream their own music.

3. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

What Gates and Allen did to IBM in the 80's, Cook and Page is doing to Microsoft in the 10's.

lovelaptops, dstrauss and dellaster like this.
  4. dellaster

dellaster Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Yeah, I have no problem at all imagining Microsoft shuffling off into a quiet, but profitable little diversified retirement niche much like IBM did. I bet many of their major stockholders would love for that to happen, too.

lovelaptops likes this.
  5. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

6. dellaster

7. Steve S

I was thoughtful about where to post this and finally decided this was as logical a place as any. This article from Windows Central appeared today, but it seems oddly out of sync with what's been going on recently with Microsoft and their inking implementation in Windows. The article briefly mentions Apple and their long-time hold on the "creative" segment of the market, but it doesn't recognize the many issues with pen and touch drivers that end up marring the drawing / inking experience in Windows and Windows apps (as is readily apparent in the forums here)...

https://www.windowscentral.com/why-microsofts-digital-inking-strategy-may-be-win-company

(Courtesy of WindowsCentral site)

dstrauss, WillAdams and dellaster like this.
  8. dellaster

I've liked Jason Ward's recent articles on Microsoft, but I think you're correct that this one falls short in some areas. Along with the things you point out, he didn't mention that the iPad Pro w/pencil has reversed the trend of "creatives" going to Windows for inking.

He, and too many tech journalists, also put far too much stock in the "Andromeda" rumors. Don't they notice that the wide variety of patent drawings are mutually exclusive of each other? Microsoft is certainly not going to be releasing so many SKUs. Couldn't it be that Microsoft is covering the bases because they see a bright future as Patent Troll for the company? It's like being able to print money. :rolleyes:

Cottingley_Fairies_1.jpg
    "I believe in Andromeda, too!"​

Bronsky, dstrauss and DRTigerlilly like this.
  9. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

THAT is really scary - Satya the Patent Troll
    [​IMG]

Starlight5, Bronsky and dellaster like this.
  10. Steve S