Really bad build quality! What do you think?

Discussion in 'HP TouchSmart TM2 (Wacom)' started by s3k7m5, Feb 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. s3k7m5

s3k7m5 Pen Pal - Newbie

Well, i think i will send my second unit back too. Basically because of the crack. I can live with the bad clearance. But only in case that something happens in future, it will be better to have one without a crack. I'm afraid they could tell me that i broke it.
    And to get rid of the noise, i have to get a new HDD or SSD. Does someone know a good HDD that is less noisy and doesn't has so much vibration?

2. Oliver Beyer

Oliver Beyer Scribbler - Standard Member

That's a good idea anyway. I swapped the hdd for the Intel Postville G2 80GB and boy, does that make a difference. The speed increase in daily use workload is incredible. And as a bonus, my TM2 is dead silent now.

When booted into W7 the fan stops completely. And since there is no hdd noise anymore, it's totally awesome.

If you don't need a huge amount of space I'd go with a 80GB Postville SSD. They are pretty affordable these days. I pays ~190 Euros for mine from Amazon. You only need the bulk version since extra screws and a 3.5inch frame are hardly useful for a laptop. The change is exeptionally easy too and HP deserves some credit for that!!!

I wanted to swap to SSD on my old LG laptop but I would have to take the entire thing apart to reach the hdd so I posponed the idea.

The thing with the vibration and noise is, that the hdd in the TM2 is 7200rpm one. It's quite fast - for a hdd - but those high rpm generate noise and vibration. If you want space, I'd look for a fast 5400rpm drive. They are nearly as fast as the 7200rpm ones but much better in respect to noise and vibration. If you don't need the space internally, get a Postville SSD and some nice external HDD if you need some storage. The TM2 with SSD is pure awesomeness.

3. black88mx6

black88mx6 Pen Pal - Newbie

My first tm2 had a bad clickpad. My 2nd unit is good, but the battery moved around slightly. I even switched in the original units battery before I sent it back and it was loose also. Both batteries in my original unit were solid with no movement.

4. corecomps

corecomps OSX86 User

Seems like there are a number of quality issues on these machines. Perhaps expected for a brand new model but I hope they tighten things up quickly. They are the first to this market but certainly not the last. You have non pen input PC's with similar specs in the $500 range. The recent coupon to bring the price down to $650 is a bit help in getting it a solid foothold. I'm sure there will be many hitting this market shortly as touch input is the next big thing.

5. heatlesssun

heatlesssun Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I think its a consistency issue primarily. I'm sure there are some kincks that they need to work out and I'm sure it will get better.

But my machine came together pretty solid I think. It's not perfect but this is a well built consumer tablet overall. I've seen MUCH worse over the years.

6. Malangyar

Malangyar Pen Pal - Newbie

What is done with all the returned units? They must be piling up somewhere.

7. Oliver Beyer

Oliver Beyer Scribbler - Standard Member

Usually they can be sold as refurbished ones when they are fixed. I know if they are sold in the open markets but we (in the old company I worked) could get entire refurbished batches at a much cheaper price. That wasn't the TM2 though.

8. Meatlocker

Meatlocker Software Development Pro

My last TM2 had a bulge on the left side of the screen bezel, where either something underneath was not seated correctly or it was warped - either way, it couldn't be pushed back in. I could have lived with that, but what I couldn't live with was a tilt in the screen hinge that made the left side of the screen lower than the right by a couple of centimeters. When I closed the lid and looked at the hinge, I could clearly see a gap in the hinge on the right side that was causing this. Too much money not to get a unit that is built correctly.

9. corecomps

corecomps OSX86 User

I will say that HP's 21 day return policy is great! 2 minutes on the phone, an instant e-mail with a prepaid label and no cost to me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.