Real Estate Pro Looking for a Tablet PC

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by sandersen, Jun 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sandersen

sandersen Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm a real esate professional looking to go Paperless and would like all my documents/contracts to be put on a new tablet PC. I currently own a IBM t42 and want to look at the x61 with verizon wireless integrated into the system. The most important items to me in this order, wireless speed to internet, ability to write (have clients sign) on screen and be able to type. Ability to convert word and PDF's to editiable, signable documents where I can then email to clients and my team members. I would like to use my finger (touch instead of a "Pen" or other device). Largest screen and Hard drive possible with the option of a Recordable DVR within the device, weight is also a factor as I like slim but I Don't want to sacrafice this for the above mentioned options.
    Here are the answers to your questions.
    1. What is your budget? Up to $3,000

2. Do you prefer a Slate, Convertible or Ultra Mobile PC (UMPC)?CONVERET

3. What size Tablet PC would you prefer?
    Small and light ~ 5" to 8.9"
    Compact ~ 10"
    Mainstream ~ 12.1" MAINSTREEM OR COMPACT ONLY
    Large ~ 14"

4. Which country do you intent to purchase from? USA

5. Do you have any preferences to brand loyalty or dislikes? LENOVO OR FUJITs

6. How many hours battery life do you require? 2+ I WILL bUY EXTENDED LIFE BATTERY IF REQUIRED

7. What do you intend to use the Tablet for? REAL ESTATE CONTRACT WRITING, MS EXCHANGE, WIRELESS INTERNET ACCESS VIA VERIZON Network

8. Do you have an OS preference? XP bc I know it works, I'm told VISTA is better for Tablets but I'm also told that MS 7 is coming out-Looking for Thoughts comments and ideas about using the tablet with a touchscreen as that is what I would like the most.

9. What software and tasks do you intend to run? ADOBE, MSEXCHANGED (via the web-hosted by a vendor I pay monthly)

10. Do you intend playing Games. If so please list.NONE

Screen Specifics

1. Do you prefer standard or widescreen? Standard

2. What resolution do you prefer?
    XGA - 1024x768 ~ Large and easy to read text and graphic icons but you fit less on the screen.
    SXGA - 1400x1050 ~ Small text and graphic icons which require good vision but the gain is a much larger screen.
    WXGA - 1280x768 ~ Wider viewing angle of XGA but ideal for viewing Spreadsheets and other programs that require desktop space.
    GOOD RESOLUTION IS A PLUS BUT NOT REQUIRED. LARGER SCREEN IS BETTER
    3. Do you require an Indoor only or Indoor/Outdoor screen option?
    See explanation below for guidance. INDOOR ONLY

4. Do you require a Passive or Active Digitizer?
    See explanation below for guidance. ACTIVE WOULD BE NICE

5. Do you require Wacom, Finepoint, or N-Trig Technology?
    See explanation below for guidance.
    WHAT EVER WORKS, I KNOW WACOM is most common.

Component Specifics

1. What size Hard Drive and Memory do you require? AT LEAST 100G HD AS MUCH MEMORY AS I CAN GET on the machine.

2. Do you require an Optical Drive? YES

3. Do you require ability to add a second Battery or Hard Drive (Modular Bay technology)? YES

Misc
    1. Other non specific items ~ please add other items you require not covered above? BUILT IN WIRELESS CARD FROM VERIZON IS A PLUS. I HAVE AN external card but would like to have an internal card.

2. Additional requests ~ anything other you wish to take into consideration?

2. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

First thing i wasn't clear on, you have a preference or dislike of Lenovo & Fujitsu machines?

Machines with optical drives, tend to be about 4.5 + lbs are you ok with that weight?

In terms of touch experience, though i think it is ridiculously overpriced, i think the only good touch option is the Dell Latitude XT. The touch is more comparable to the iphone, vs the touch available in other tablets which is more comparable to the touch that is available on standard pda's.

I am not sure about being able to convert previously created pdf documents to an editable format, but what is possible is using a virtual printer, to put the document in Word for eg, of Onenote (or Journal) and these programs can accept ink acceptable for a signature.

In Adobe Professional, there is the option of using a pen, but it is more for mark up & it is not very fluid, Inking appears very jagged so i don't think it would be suitable for signatures.

But a document typed in Word 2007 for eg. Could then be signed in Word using the review tool.

Vista is the more pen centric of the two operating systems, and it has the ability to learn your handwriting. Windows 7 is still a little way off, but it is interesting to note, that all the demo's of Windows 7 have been using the Dell Latitude XT (that superior touch thing coming in again)

I will have to check on models other than Lenovo which have cellular wireless cards built in, i think the Fujitsu t2010 has the option but am not sure.

Also do you require the optical drive be built in or are you willing to have it in an external dock or external drive format?

Just an addition, though the Dell retail is pricey, there seem to be some pretty good prices available at their outlet, users at Gottabemobile have been reporting prices from $1000 to $1500 with outlet prices & coupon combinations.

3. DRTigerlilly

as an update the dell latitude xt, fujitsu t2010 & lenovo x61 tablet all have integrated wwan options.

4. danks88

danks88 Pen Pal - Newbie

get the T5010

5. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

August is a long ways off.

6. danks88

danks88 Pen Pal - Newbie

well that will be the best tablet it is not integrated so you can add a graphics card i heard, plus its ddr3 ram

7. DRTigerlilly

The graphics card in the t5010 is an integrated graphics card the machine uses ddr3 ram.

8. nikecar

nikecar Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

as a fellow Realtor, I love my tablet!!!

You will need to get something like PDF annotator.

9. atom

atom Pen Pro - Atomic Member

What? Where did you here this?