Re-Vote: New C-140/C-141/C-142 Satisfaction Survey

Discussion in 'Acer (Gateway)' started by bobo, Jan 16, 2008.

?

Are you satisfied with your C-140/C-141/C142*

1. Very Satisfied-I'm glad I bought this tablet

66.7%
  2. Mostly Satisfied-I like my tablet, but...(please comment)

22.8%
  3. Not Satisfied-Hardware (components/quality)

3.5%
  4. Not Satisfied-Too Big and Heavy

3.5%
  5. Not Satisfied-Custome Service/Warranty/Tech Support

3.5%
  6. Not Satisfied-Other (Please Comment)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NetHead

NetHead My PC almost boils water

Mostly satisfied. It's a pretty good machine, but I am still experiencing random overheating.

Gateway's support is also pretty bad. During the earlier attempts to fix the overheating, three on-site support appointments were scheduled. Gateway only made three. They missed the other three appointments without warning, wasting my time in the process.

2. Nominal

Nominal Engineering Student

I have the same issue near the edges of the screen. I just assumed it was a limitation of the technology. I find that tilting the base of the pen toward the center of the screen when working near the edges helps me to reach program controls (like scroll bars).

3. Guest

Guest All-around nice guy

Love the laptop, but hate the 1280 by 768 pixels mode
    The 1280 (width) is fine, but the 768 (height) is not enough!

4. nikecar

nikecar Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

1) you tried reinstalling the drivers?

2) I think there is a setting for how quickly you can do a double click.

3) Have you done a restore point and gone back? I had my unit have startup problems twice. I did a system restore to a last restore point and several months have gone by without a problem.

Have you done the Calibration fix with the registry and see if that fixes it?

5. Nominal

Nominal Engineering Student

First off, thanks for the suggestions, nikecar.:cool:

1) To be honest, I don't use the fingerprint reader all that much. I have my computer set to only prompt for login after turning on, not on return from sleep or hibernation. Because the reader always works when the computer first turns on, I haven't pursued the issue.

2) This is different from actual double-clicking. It just single-clicks twice in rapid succession. I believe this is a known bug, as it was mentioned by the Wacom support people back when waplespunk was talking to them. I have found an OK workaround, but no mention of an actual fix.

3) Yeah, I tried restore the first time it happened, and that seemed to fix it for a while. This latest time I "restored" the files manually, and that seems to be holding for now.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  6. tomtheweirdguy

tomtheweirdguy Pen Pal - Newbie

I said that I am mostly satisfied with my tablet, and I give the following reasons for not being completely satisfied:

1) The bezel around the screen has partially separated near the Gateway logo, and squeezing a little super glue in there will void my warranty (according to Gateway support)

2)The hinge has become quite loose (in the direction that allows me to open or close the notebook, not rotating the screen from notebook to tablet mode). I have had this tablet in my possession since July 23rd, 2007, and the hinge has gone from very tight (almost frustratingly so) to very loose (my screen now flops a bit).

3)I reinstalled Windows and managed to lose the driver recovery disk I had made using the Gateway utility (I deleted the recovery partition, before anyone suggests that), so I don't have the wonderful extra settings for my touchpad. This is unfortunate because it has become extremely sensitive since my reinstall, and I am far too lazy to track down the driver for it.

4) I have only experienced the infamous overheating problem once, but the machine does get quite hot (by "quite hot" I mean just hot enough to make me not able to keep my hand on it for more than a few seconds) on the underside when I play WoW, and the area where I rest my hands when typing gets quite warm if I leave the notebook running but close the lid, making me worry slightly about its internal temperatures.
    I can certainly understand WHY it gets so hot, though, and I imagine this is an issue inherent in almost any notebook, not just the C-140.

5) I'm having a terrible time trying to get Ubuntu up and running with the restricted drivers from ATI for the graphics card. From what I understand, the open source driver is very new and not incredibly stable, so I figured it would be best to run the restricted driver for now. However, I have twice crippled my GUI (I can get a terminal just fine, and I know I can modify xorg.conf to make it use the VESA driver like it does from the live CD, I just don't know which line to change and I'm too lazy to figure it out) and it's really kinda frustrating. Hopefully by time I get it fixed the open source guys will have cleaned some of the bugs out of their version of the driver, and maybe added some more features to boot!

Other than these minor qualms, I am pretty extremely happy with my system overall, enough so that my testimony convinced a friend and a complete stranger to each buy one!

I believe this may actually be a result of the stylus not being in the electromagnetic field generated by the digitizer when you are trying to use it at the far edge of the screen. I am not familiar with the exact engineering that went into this digitizer, but I do know that the pen gets the power it needs to operate through induction, which relies on that electromagnetic field being present and strong (by which I mean at or very near its intended strength). Without it, the circuits in the pen won't function properly, causing the severe "jumping" of your cursor.

It is also possible that my theory is completely incorrect and this is actually a defect in our notebooks.

7. SimsHsia

SimsHsia "I will do science to it" Senior Member

Tom,

For #3, most likely the C-140X has a Synaptics touchpad, you can try downloading the drivers (choose your OS) and give it a whirl and see if you are able to get the extra touchpad settings you are looking for. :)

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2015
  8. PowerMatt

PowerMatt Pen Pal - Newbie

I've had my C-140S for a few months now, and I'm very happy with it. The ability to keyword search my handwritten notes is worth the price by itself!

I have noted the lack of sensitivity near the edges of the screen when writing, but I'm pretty sure that's just a limitation of the technology. Also, the dvd drive on mine had an issue with being difficult to close, but re-seating the entire drive in the bay fixed that.

I'm glad I haven't had to deal with Gateway customer service. That seems to be the main complaint against Gateway. Great hardware, but pray you never have a problem with it.

9. Sir Andrew

Sir Andrew Pen Pal - Newbie

It really isn't that heavy. I don't know what people are talking about on the weight.

10. tomtheweirdguy

tomtheweirdguy Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks Sms, the drivers do work, despite Synaptics warning that I should get the driver from my manufacturer.

It is heavy for a tablet. Tablets are meant to be moved a lot more than a regular notebook. The weight is average for a regular notebook, but this is probably the heaviest convertible notebook on the market.

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.