Re-Official ZIPmagic (DoubleSpace/WIMBoot & DriveSpace/NTFS) Thread

Discussion in 'Software' started by zipmagic, Sep 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. h0race

h0race Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks very much - I'll give it a try tomorrow and let you know how it went.

All the best,

Martin

2. hometownnerd

hometownnerd Pen Pal - Newbie

Well I have finally completed successfully using Zipmagic. One thing to keep in mind when you use it, be patient. I believe I stopped my attempt last night too early and caused a failure, so wait for the congratulations windows because it is doing something even when it looks like it may not be.

That being said, I have had issues in the past trying to use Zipmagic as well as the command line way to WimBoot and it seems my setup had some sort of issue with both, thanks to Zipmagic making some modifications to how his app works I can say it has finally worked for me. The settings I used were on the new advanced screen, I had to use the WIMGAPI engine for my backup and WIMLIB for my restore engine, just in case anyone has issues themselves and are looking for a way to potentially make it work. I also had an issue with the screen being unclickable while Zipmagic was running, so any error etc. meant I needed to reboot.

Thanks again to Zipmagic for this tool!! His app is definitely worth the price, especially after having the issues I have had.

3. zipmagic

zipmagic Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks very much for the encouragement, Larry.
    Martin, everything went well for you too, I hope?

4. h0race

h0race Pen Pal - Newbie

Indeed it did!

I have no idea how this works, but I checked my available memory before installing zipmagic and was a bit disturbed to see it was only about 2.5 GB (where does it all go...?).

I installed Zipmagic and ran doublespace, expecting to end up with about 5 GB to play with...and was delighted to discover that I now have no less than 10.9 GB!

Quadruplespace?

Impressive.

Does this mean I could turn my 64GB micro sd card into 128GB - would movies etc still play from it?

I'm running the trial version, so used the maxspeed option (of course). Keen to try some other aspects of the software - any suggestions?

Many thanks for your help - great software.

Martin

5. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

Note To All: After some consideration regarding the nature of this thread and the intent of the TPCR forums, we asked member zipmagic to please move these discussions to a more appropriate venue. Having allowed him to raise awareness of the ZipMagic application, we believe it's appropriate for him to handle continued discussions with his own resources. He has agreed to do this.

If you have questions or want to discuss the merits of the ZipMagic application, please contact zipmagic (aka Simon King) offline.

Thanks to all...

6. Mikerman

Mikerman Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

With the greatest of respect, I don't know that I fully understand this decision, and I fear that it seems to work to the disservice of readers here, IMHO. Yes, zipmagic was a bit over, originally, in promoting his product (I'm thinking not about his own threads here, which I have found to be just fine and, indeed, both helpful and informative, but his having popularized his product, in his enthusiasm, in one of the Dell separate threads created for other purposes--but even then, when it was suggested, by readers, to zipmagic that he set up his own thread, he was more than gracious and did so).

At the very least, an avenue within the board for information and discussion like this would be beneficial, it seems to me, rather than relegating helpful information and products such as this to Internet obscurity. Isn't one of the purposes of this board to allow such useful discussion? Again, IM own HO.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2014
  7. zipmagic

You are *very* welcome :)

Yes, you should be able to substantially increase the storage on your SD Card as well. Stacker would be the ideal compressor for that, since its not a boot drive, as long as you are running a 64 bit operating system. Please feel free to follow up on ZIPmagic's own discussion board for more details.

And thank you for helping make ZIPmagic better for all users, through escalating this issue, and helping us fix the problem!

8. zipmagic

Thank you very much for your support. I could not overstate my appreciation for it.

Indeed, ZIPmagic, and its precursors, seem to come upon a lot of attack online. I figure ZIPmagic is disturbing the balance of power currently in favor of big established brands like WinZip and WinRAR, and they don't like it.

Call it my own conspiracy theory, but I am at a loss to explain what would be, otherwise, the benefit of ZIPmagic being buried under Internet obscurity, as you have nicely summarized it.

This forum, overall, has been one of the most hospitable venues for ZIPmagic information, and it saddens me to see that ZIPmagic is no longer welcome here either, through no known fault of my own - other than trying to help people running out of disk space, of course!

Other online venues, such as even Wikipedia, have gone to great lengths to relegate ZIPmagic to Internet obscurity. Here is the latest snippet I tried to commit to Wikipedia's Surface Pro 2/3 page, which got censored:

Storage capacity has been a frequent concern on the smaller capacity Surface Pro tablets, even resulting in a lawsuit against Microsoft<ref name=ap-storage>{{cite news|title=Lawyer sues Microsoft over Surface tablet storage|url=http://seattletimes.com/html/localnews/2019680330_apusmicrosoftsurfacelawsuit.html|agency=Associated Press|accessdate=November 15, 2012}}</ref>, despite Microsoft having clearly documented that the 64GB Surface Pro tablet would only have 29 GB of storage space and that the 128GB Surface will only have 89 GB<ref>{{cite news|title=Microsoft's Surface Pro Available Storage: Still Confusing|url=http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2415272,00.asp|agency=PCMag|accessdate=March 10, 2013|work=PC Magazine}}</ref>. This shortfall of Surface storage has created a market for third party [[disk compression]] accessories<ref name="DoubleSpace">{{cite web |url=http://www.zipmagic.org/doublespace.html |title=DoubleSpace Product Page}}</ref>, which claim to double the storage capacity of Surface Pro tablets. Despite the claims made by accessory manufacturers such as ZIPmagic<ref name="ZIPmagic">{{cite web |url= http://tabtimes.com/news/ittech-os-windows/2014/07/21/zipmagic-compression-doubles-storage-windows-8-tablets |title= ZipMagic compression doubles storage of Windows 8 tablets}}</ref>, actual data compression savings will vary based on how compressible the data stored on the Surface Pro tablets really are.

It appears the Internet is more about protecting the status-quo for multi-billion companies and government agencies these days, rather than empowering the individual.

Again, I very much appreciate and welcome your support.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  9. zipmagic

Dear Friends,

For all future discussion, please feel free to post here:

http://www.zipmagic.co/forums/index.php

There's a small gift for everyone logging in to the forums this week :)

- Simon King.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.