Re-Official ZIPmagic (DoubleSpace/WIMBoot & DriveSpace/NTFS) Thread

Discussion in 'Software' started by zipmagic, Sep 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zipmagic

zipmagic Pen Pal - Newbie

Original thread got closed (http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/sof...ublespace-wimboot-drivespace-ntfs-thread.html), not sure why, so here goes the second official one.

After installing some more software on my Surface Pro tablet this week, I've actually come up to 800k+ files and 100k+ folders, from the previous 700k+ files and 90k+ folders.

The disk stats look remarkably similar to the post on the previous official thread:
    disk stats.jpg

The file stats however show a lot more data stored and even more space saved:
    file stats.jpg

The current compression ratio is even higher now, at 2.16:1. That's again more than double the space saved. Gotta love it! I've stored 121 GB on my 64 GB tablet, and I still have almost 8 GB free space :D

2. hometownnerd

hometownnerd Pen Pal - Newbie

I really appreciate all you have done with this app and with me in particular! I commend you on making something like this work as simply as you have. I do think your software is awesome and will try it again, once I get a new OTG, hopefully you can help me with the issue I had last night though.

Now I did attempt to apply DoubleSpace last night to my DV8P and had a few issues and hopefully you can help. I tried it a few times and had varying degrees of success. First time I tried to use a USB drive connected to my OTG cable as an undo disk, when it restarted Zipmagic popped up a warning about not selecting an undo disk, and since it is in a special WinPE environment, I think, I could not get the button pressed to get it out of the way, so I had to force a reboot....not a big deal really. Just set my SDCard as the undo disk and when it rebooted it actually went to work. As it scanned the files and folders I started to get errors about access denied on some of the files, but when it gets an error you cannot click the error to do whatever is available at that point. So I grabbed a screen cap of the file it complained about and deleted it from windows. This happened 3-4 times start zipmagic...complains about file access...go to windows delete file...start zipmagic. I then noticed the directory they were in was in a user directory under a windowscommunication subdirectory called att, figured it was just attachments seeing what the files were, so I deleted the entire directory. At this point I started Zipmagic again and it went through the scan great this time. It went through a few phases of the process actually and it looked like it was actually going to work....then the error I attached below happened. Since I cannot click the error, I rebooted to a your computer needs to be repaired which never kicks off so I went to go apply my full backup and wouldn't you know it my OTG snaps off in my hand....argh what a night. I did apply the backup by holding the 2 pieces together verrry steadily.

I do not fault your software, I am sure it has to do with something I have going on, just not sure what it could be just yet. Please let me know what steps I need to take, although I am sure it will need to wait for a little while since I need a OTG....just in case. Another question, how do I use an undo disk when my tablet goes to the repair screen on boot?

Thanks again for working with me and for going above and beyond what you had to do.
    Larry

Attached Files:

3. zipmagic

Hi Larry,

Thanks for your feedback!

DoubleSpace uses two WIM engines - WIMGAPI (Microsoft) for restores, and WIMLIB (open source) for backups. When you compress a disk, a backup is first taken onto the Undo Disk, and then it is restored (or, the process happens on-the-fly if no Undo Disk is being used).

Yours is the second report this week, pertaining to permission issues with WIMLIB during the data backup phase. Usually, WIMLIB is a much better engine than WIMGAPI, but it appears that in this case, we do have a persistent issue with WIMLIB, revolving around permissions in some Metro apps. I plan to upload a new build soon, which will use the WIMGAPI engine for backups when MaxSpeed is selected (Microsoft permits only a single compression setting during WIM creation).

However, this is the first time I've seen the error you reported during the restore phase, and especially with the WIMGAPI engine at that. There was a restore problem with the WIMLIB engine that did get fixed in recent builds, but I haven't yet had a chance to make WIMLIB the primary restore engine, in addition to being the current primary backup engine. I will also get this done in the next build, to ensure this issue is also eliminated. I am sure WIMGAPI would, in general, be more problematic than WIMLIB even during the restore phase.

DoubleSpace currently does not make the Undo Disk it creates bootable. This is also in the wish list for future versions, although I don't know if it will make it into the next build. At any rate, your data is safe inside the WIM file (if the backup completed successfully), and can be restored using any WIM tool - including DoubleSpace in a special processing mode (which is accessible by double-clicking the product icon inside the main progress window, while the tool is idle). I can provide you with more details on this if you're interested.

There's two very strange cases here, though:

1) That you were unable to click the screen in the special processing mode. I can click and type just fine in this special processing mode, its none other than Windows RE. Did you have a keyboard available at all, or a legacy mouse? My Surface Pro pen works just great on the tablet screen even in this mode.

2) That, even though after formatting a disk, a restore operation failed with the error "file already exists". On a cleanly formatted disk, this should never have occurred - unless some kind of subtle incompatibility happened between the WIMLIB and WIMGAPI engines, resulting in a duplicate file name being stored by WIMLIB perhaps inside the WIM file, and thus confusing WIMGAPI during extraction. I will check this again with the WIMLIB engine provider.

Thanks very much for the feedback. It is sincerely appreciated. I hope to churn out a new build fairly quickly. Please PM me when you have your system working, and I'll let you know where to get it from (if its not already publicly updated by then).

- Simon King.

hometownnerd likes this.
  4. hometownnerd

hometownnerd Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for working on this. I did choose not the max space option but the one to the immediate left of that, so mostly more space and less speed. I am hesitant to try for now without my otg since I will be stuck without backups since macrium is on a usb. One thing about making the undo disk bootable, I am reasonably sure you will need to format the sdcard at that point, which was the first thing I was scared of and why I did not pick my sdcard at first. Since I cannot click the boxes could there be something on my device causing that? I am unsure what it could be, maybe a BIOS setting I messed up? I do not understand it either, but this is the same as if I were doing the cmd line way, I always seem to get file exists.

Looking forward to figuring this out, Thanks again,
    Larry

5. zipmagic

All I can say is that I do not know :)

WIMLIB is a much better engine than WIMGAPI, providing more compression settings if nothing else - so I'd recommend you retry with the WIMLIB based build. I hope to have that available soon.

Ipaqman, the hero of Arj, may also find it worthwhile, assuming that the issue really is in WIMGAPI, to update his command line scripts/tools to use WIMLIB instead. The WIMLIB engine is exposed through a command line executable, the same way the WIMGAPI engine is exposed through DISM. I understand most, but not all, of the switches are similar. So if there is a heavy-duty brittleness on the part of WIMGAPI, which it seems like - no surprises there! - everyone could migrate to WIMLIB instead.

And yes, I have absolutely, utterly no clue why your keyboard, etc. do not work :D

6. zipmagic

Hi Larry,

I've uploaded a new build of ZIPmagic - version 12.4 - designed specifically to address your issues.

First, the lack of keyboard/mouse input: Currently any advanced settings that are chosen from the "hidden" UI are propagated automatically after the reboot. So you can choose any number of "hidden" settings, and these will automatically work after rebooting without manual intervention.

Second, you now have the capability to use both the WIMGAPI and WIMLIB engines, at your own discretion, from the "hidden" settings window. Of course, WIMGAPI is limited to only MaxSpeed compression, but that is a start.

Please try it out when you get a chance and let us know what you find! :)

- Simon King.

7. zipmagic

Hi Larry,

I've uploaded ZIPmagic version 12.5, with some more enhancements, as well as a quad-mode engine selector, where you can mix and match any combination of WIMGAPI and WIMLIB engines, individually for both the WIM creation and WIM application phases.

I am confident that one of the four combinations will work for you:

WIMLIB to compress and apply
    WIMGAPI to compress and apply
    WIMLIB to compress and WIMGAPI to apply
    WIMGAPI to compress and WIMLIB to apply

Based on the screenshot and information you provided, I would suggest you try to use WIMGAPI for compression, and WIMLIB for application, and see where that leads.

- Simon King.

8. zipmagic

Here's the latest compression statistics from my own machine. I am currently down to only 2.5 GB free space:
    space free.PNG
    And my compression ratio is 2.153:1 as seen below:
    space used.PNG
    The max partition size you get on a Surface Pro with a 64 GB SSD is 58.9 GB. So I'm pretty happy that now my Surface Pro is indeed more than doubled in capacity :)

9. h0race

h0race Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello All

I recently bought a Toshiba WT8 and have the same issue that many others have - only about 4.5 gb of free space after updating windows.

I spotted a few threads talking about wimboot, but quickly realised that the conventional means of installation were probably beyond my very humble skills.

Zipmagic would appear to be exactly what a beginner like me needs, so I hope you will all be patient enough for me to ask some very basic questions:

Well, just one question really - I'd be very grateful if someone would tell me what I need to do in order to use zipmagic to free up some space on my WT8. I know it's designed to be simple, but I've no idea of the pros and cons of different compression ratios etc, so would really appreciate some suggested settings to get me started. An idiot's guide.

Many thanks to zipmagic for putting this software out there.

Cheers

Martin

10. zipmagic

Martin, thanks for your interest and welcome on board :)

Here's your instructions:

1) Install ZIPmagic from www.zipmagic.co. Unlike many WIMBoot tutorials out there, ZIPmagic is barely 19 MB download, so the installation takes no time.
    2) Run DoubleSpace. Choose your disk to compress.
    3) If you have a disk of equivalent size attached, choose it as the Undo Disk. Otherwise, deselect the Undo Disk option.
    4) Click the Compress button. Your PC will ask for your confirmation to reboot.
    5) When it reboots, select ZIPmagic DoubleSpace from the boot menu.

That's it. Sit back and relax, and enjoy your compression savings. ZIPmagic DoubleSpace starts automatically, compresses your drive, displays some nice interactive progress charts, and then prompts you when its ready to restart your computer.

You can also run ZIPmagic DriveSpace, after using DoubleSpace, to create even more free space. You can also repeat ZIPmagic DoubleSpace about once a week to pick up the slack from recently added/deleted files.

Please share your concerns or praise directly on this official thread.

Again, thanks very much for your interest.

And enjoy :)

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.