Razer Blade 1st OLED with PWM = 0

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kurt corbin, Dec 2, 2019.

1. kurt corbin

kurt corbin Scribbler - Standard Member

According to notebookcheck, the Razer Blade 15 Studio Edition has this:

17-9750H

3840 x 2160 x 15.6" OLED (Samsung SDCA029)

Capacitive Touch (using an added digitizer, as the stock SDCA029 has none)

PWM = 0 (According to desertlap, by using a "custom controller, as the SDCA029 apparently comes with a PWM contoller).

Back in July, in an article on the SDCA029, notebookcheck wrote that the SDCA029 was non-touch and that:

"The main (and possibly only) OLED panel being used for 15-inch laptops is the Samsung SDCA029...Unfortunately, pulse-width modulation (PWM) is an issue with this and all other OLED displays at the moment. This is because the OLED as a technology uses PWM to modulate brightness."

Referring to their review of the Alienware m15 with the SDCA029, notebookcheck wrote that:

"The display backlight flickers at 60.24 Hz (Likely utilizing PWM)....The frequency of 60.24 Hz is very low, so the flickering may cause eyestrain and headaches after extended use."

https://www.razer.com/gaming-laptops/razer-blade-studio-edition

Studio edition? Really? But no active digitizer? No 360? I guess it's for video editing.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
  2. kurt corbin

kurt corbin Scribbler - Standard Member

I thought PWM was an inherent attribute of the panel, but I guess not.

It's a good trick if the Razer's display can pulse in a way the oscilloscope can't detect. I suppose the human eye would also be unable to detect it.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019