RANT CITY MOC ( "miserable old curmudgeons")

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by dstrauss, Dec 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Sorry to be a jerk, but S0iX isn't working (regularly) for my fully updated SP3. Some days you get it to stay in standby, others it is deader than a door nail the next morning or in your bag hours later.

2. Cuhulin

Cuhulin Scribbler - Standard Member

You aren't being a jerk, just a frustrated user failing to recognize that he caused all these problems!

After all, when you that the new keyboard and pen would be enough with your working SP3, Satya obviously told Panos "You need to fix this so that this dstrauss guy will need to buy a new system. Break the old one." So he did!

dstrauss likes this.
  3. wataru

wataru Scribbler - Standard Member

Not true. Sony Vaio Duo 13 was the first Haswell machine to support CS and it was announced nearly a year before SP3. I owned one. Never had sleep issue. It was M$'s fault to push unreliable devices. That said M$ hardware and software were disappointing given all the high hopes.

4. dstrauss

So let it be written, so let it be done (to me).

New problem - now every other time I put it to sleep (no pun intended - may Freudian), it will not awaken until you hold the power button down 15-20 seconds then it reboots and starts from scratch - what's with that?

5. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

I have that sometimes too on my SP3. Lately it's been somewhat better.

Balbutio ergo sum

6. dbrn

dbrn Scribbler - Standard Member

Mine used to do that at work. In my case it turned out to have nothing to do with Power at all, it was related to... wait for it.., Connected Standby. CS was crashing the machine every time it tried to go online itself but had to access a new WAP because I had changed locations in the building. In the end the solution was as easy as turning off PMK caching - since then I've never had a repeat.

I (we all :D) know you've had lots of other power-related issues, but it might be worth doing one quick look at the Event Viewer to see how those events are listed and/or testing to see if they happen when you change physical locations/WAP. If so, this particular problem may be curable.

7. dbrn

dbrn Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm just as happy to blame Intel as Microsoft for these problems. But, with all due respect to a bonafide expert, Jeff, those are arguments for why CS is good, not for why it's necessary. And if it's not necessary, why not give us the option of turning it off (without resorting to Registry edits)? After all, non-Mac users could be defined as those who like to easily 'customize' their machines (as opposed to those happy to walk in lock-step with Sir Ives et al). Maybe there's a technical basis for not including a 'Turn Off CS' button in Settings, but barring that, it certainly wouldn't hurt.

8. dstrauss

@dbrn - you probably hit in on the head - it almost always happen between office and home, or when I go to a conference room on a different router. Thanks.

PS - where can I find that registry edit?

9. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

What is PMK caching?

Balbutio ergo sum

10. metalsiren

metalsiren Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

its a method of doing a fast roaming when doing dot1x authentication for wireless such as PEAP/ EAP-TLS etc. Normally with out the caching the client would have to do a full roam, and could loos pings etc during that time. But with PMK you can auth with the cache and its faster. a newer version of this would be called FT or Fast Transition 802.11r ....now if your only doing a PSK and no dot1x on the wireless.... PMK would not be used at all. also for most roaming events apps can handle the hit on the roam. Unless its VOIP or something that cant take the hit. PSK roams are normally decently fast as well anyways. (FYI I do wireless for a living)

Bronsky and Kumabjorn like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.