RANT CITY MOC ( "miserable old curmudgeons")

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by dstrauss, Dec 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

@gcoupe - (dis)connected standby - I stand by my conclusion...

2. soh5

soh5 Wait and Hope (Bronsky et al.) Senior Member

I really am pretty frustrated. I do not understand why these products are amazing yet fall short of providing the top level experience that you deserve after spending $$$.

Right now with all the video crashes or hangs, this product IS NOT usable for reliable work as a daily driver.

3. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

We need a Connected Standby in modern computing because unlike the US and Western Europe, people use Skype as their primary phone service in parts of the Middle East, Asia, South Asia, Central and Eastern Europe. We need Connected Standby in Modern Enterprise Scenarios where Skype for Business is our Primary Work Phone and being able to download email and receive other notifications in the background is an important part of productivity.

We need Connected Standby because when the Power Management Drivers actually function properly we see a 25-40% increase in battery life, allowing for thinner and lighter devices.

We are suffering from Intel's continued inability to create stable and functional reference drivers for their own Silicon. Last time I heard, Intel's team has been working directly with Microsoft at Building 88 (on the MS Campus) trying to co-create a set of drivers (the more stable Video Driver was also a by-product of this collaboration). Once these drivers are completed they are then customized by the OEMs and ODMs and are then made available via Windows Update.

Once of the interesting struggles with Intel this time around, they are still attempting to maintain backwards compatibility with their older chipsets, CPUs and SoCs as well as Windows 8.x support.

dellaster and gcoupe like this.
  4. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Jeff - I respect your opinions more than just about anyone around here, but beware - this is a RANT thread - and your explanation highlights the very problem "when the Power Management Drivers actually function properly" because it NEVER HAS. I've owned the SP, SP2, and SP3, and it has never worked reliably; NEVER. It has been a failure ever since I owned an early Samsung reference tablet, and their early two-in-one. There have been moments of hope, but then wham, a dead or near dead battery overnight or in your briefcase.

Work-arounds, like enabling hibernation after a short sleep, is not an acceptable answer. Microsoft needs to give users the option to disable (dis)connected standby, and give us a safe deep sleep alternative to hibernation for quick close/open/close use of the system.

5. XJ12

XJ12 Scribbler - Standard Member

for my SP1 at the house, 100% of time power the device off when I'm done as it was always dead if I closed the cover and let it sit more than a few days. Never good for a battery to be deeply drained.

Gave up early trying to use the device like it should/could be used. Windows 7 seemed to work better where after an hour or so in standby it would hibernate. Never researched this connected standby feature, guessing this is why my SB1 was always dead. Also why my wife's yoga 3 is always dead after a few days.

6. jnjroach

S0iX worked well on RT and Surface 2, The SP1 and SP2 didn't support it as it was a standard S3/S4 Architecture. The SP3 was the first of the Intel based machines to support S0iX which pushed Intel's own specification. SP3 tends to work well as it was using Haswell which has decent power management OOB as long as we don't tweak it. The S3 works well with S0iX as well.

The Samsung series didn't support S0iX...

Intel has definitely struggled with its Skylake Power Management Drivers, and I realize that this is a RANT Thread, but I also realize long after the issues are addressed this thread lives on in SOE so I want to give additional context for future generations ;)

dellaster likes this.
  7. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Intel should figure out what they're doing right on the Atom SOC. My connected standby works fine.

gcoupe and dellaster like this.
  8. jnjroach

Agreed...its Skylake for whatever reason the can't get it to enter the deeper low power states for S0iX...

9. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

How do the Core-M d vices fair? Do they function similar to the Atoms? I've not heard any complaints in those threads, but want sure...?

10. jnjroach

Overall the Core M folks outside of the earlier DD crashes have been quiet on the Power Management front...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.