RANT CITY MOC ( "miserable old curmudgeons")

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by dstrauss, Dec 3, 2015.

1. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member

Not to rain on your party, which is currently on the homepage of Tablet PC Reviews, by the way, but a lot of iPad Pros are also being quite buggy, experiencing serious battery issues. I have gone to two different stores (Best Buy in the Midwest and my campus computer store in the Mountain West) with iPad Pro demo units and both have this exact same strange bug where if you start doing anything remotely CPU intensive, like starting up an app, the battery indicator suddenly drops down to zero, the system shuts down and a low battery screen appears. Awful! The point being, I know the latest Surface products are not exactly a painless bug free experience, but the grass isn't any greener on the other side of the fence, either.

2. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

OK, folks. This may be a thread for rants, but you still have to observe the basic rules of the forum, one of which pertains to language.

It's possible to blow off steam without going over the edge.

3. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Has ANYBODY gotten a bug free SP4 or SB? My son reports his replacement SB (i5/256gb/dGPU) from Microsoft at least doesn't randomly shut down; display only disconnects 1-2 times per day; but battery drain is still the norm, with (dis)connected standby still blowing up (including overheating when it is supposedly in sleep mode).

The real question is WHY DO WE NEED CONNECTED STANDBY in a laptop first device? Is it really an inconvenience to pick up my email AFTER it wakes up - it's not a smartphone for heavens sake! And no, hibernation is NOT an acceptable alternative. I want it to start right back up where I was working in my Word document just like my daughter's MacBook Air (from 2013). AND NO, I do not want to switch to Apple - this is just not rocket science, or as Microsoft excused itself - "a difficult computer science" problem.

4. metalsiren

metalsiren Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

my i5 and my new i7 (other than the set up from hell I had on the i7) have been relatively good. other than the power issues....(but you know about that one it drains to much in sleep etc) but with the driver updates etc its been good for me so far.... again its SP4 and not SB.

5. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Finally a decent rant. :p

Twitter is to communications as haiku is to literature.

JoeS likes this.
  6. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

You mean "rules conforming rant" don't you?

7. jyan_osu

jyan_osu Scribbler - Standard Member

My Surface pro 4 is my main development machine. If I had issues I would be back on my xps 15. I can go through 8 hours a day at work without a hiccup. I have no problems relying on my i7 spro4 to do work.

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk

dstrauss likes this.
  8. MSGaldenzi

MSGaldenzi Scribbler - Standard Member

My SB (same config) has issues disconnecting and crashes at least 2x a day. Trying to put the screen on backwards always causes something to fail. I have it set to hibernate, which although is not a great solution, is acceptable for me. My fans are always spinning too, which really bites seeing as skylake was supposed to help heat and it feels hotter and needs more fan support than older haswell based units I have used. I wanted a laptop that I could use as a tablet from time to time, and as it turns out the SB does not fit those needs for me. Much better off getting 2 devices that do each role well and saving nearly $800 in the process. I tried MSFT... I really tried... //endrant

9. Pianomanos

Pianomanos Scribbler - Standard Member

Only problem on mine (an i5 SP4) was the display driver crashing, and it hasn't happened since the latest update.

On a side note, this message was typed almost entirely with autocomplete. Once I type "display," I get "driver," "crash," and "update" as suggestions. Guess I've been typing the same thing a lot lately...

AveSharia likes this.
  10. gcoupe

gcoupe Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

While it's a valid question to ask whether a laptop first device needs connected standby, I would argue that tablets should certainly have it. I notice that Microsoft's own Alarms app no longer supports Connected Standby. It makes the app really rather pointless if it stops working when the device it's running on goes to sleep or enters hibernation...

Telstar1948 and Bronsky like this.