RANT CITY MOC ( "miserable old curmudgeons")

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by dstrauss, Dec 3, 2015.

1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

MICROSOFT'S NEW BUSINESS PLAN:

If your computer is screwed up, we'll ship updates that will fix some (most?) of the errors...BUT

If your computer is working well, we will go out of our way to ship an update that will BREAK SOMETHING!

2. dstrauss

3. metalsiren

metalsiren Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Yea it's getting insane.... Trust me I wanted to use my IPP as a computer but with no mouse support (use HVD a lot) and not full applications (iOS word not the same as desktop word you get the idea) it just can't but if it DID by by surface.

I like my surface I really do and so far my updates are ok. But as I have said already this is ****ed up

MetalSiren

4. dstrauss

Well, it is so FUBAR that I called the Austin store and nice young manager I talked to said bring in this weekend and they'll exchange for brand new (newest Lot #) SB or back down to an SPro 4.

I have to give the in store folks props for trying hard...

5. Telstar1948

Telstar1948 Scribbler - Standard Member

Yeah, my SB drove me nuts with all the issues so I returned it trying a few other things (TP etc). IF Apple were to ever put their desktop OS on the IIP and arrange it where you could use a mouse etc., I'd go back to the Mac world; however, I ain't seeing it yet! Somehow, I doubt I will...

6. dstrauss

[​IMG]

So - guess I am insane (any doubts? - don't answer that). This morning started out with a BSOD for my Surface Book (couldn't start and needed to repair the SSD - or I could simply choose to do a complete restore and start over ????). Anyway, after chkdsk did its thing, it has been running nice and smooth the rest (4 hours) of the morning.

Is it really this hard to get devices to work properly, or is MS just jerking us around (kind of like the Greek gods monkeying with mankind and laughing all the way to Olympus).

[​IMG]

The SB is the ultimate powerhouse I have lusted for in a MacBook Pro for the last four years, EXCEPT FOR LACK OF STABILITY. My daughter, who carried a MacBook Air 13 around the world after undergrad, and through 4 years of grad school, then upgraded to a MacBook Pro 15 last year, has never had these kinds of problems...and Apple sure as h*!! doesn't send out upgrades every couple of months hoping it will fix the d@#m thing. I know Apple is far from perfect, but this is just freaking insane on both the SB and SP4 fronts.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2016
  7. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Definitely.
    Oops!

dstrauss likes this.
  8. dstrauss

OK - taking a cue from @Marty I'm bringing my two open letters over here for more ranting pleasure:

Are we really listening to what we are saying here and over at the Surface Go thread helping @Kumabjorn through nightmare BT connection problems with arcane registry hacks? Does it REALLY have to be this bad in 2019? Why are we still struggling with registry hacks, processor voltage tweaks, and near hackerdom gymnastics 25 YEARS AFTER WINDOWS 95 WAS RELEASED?

We haven't evolved at all since DOS XMS and HIMEM.SYS on the 80x86 platforms...:eek::mad::eek::(:eek::confused::eek::rolleyes:

Dear Microsoft:

I have a Modest Proposal (aka Jonathan Swift). Please fork Windows 10 and Office 2016 immediately into a new secure SKU. NO NEW FEATURES EVER - just malware, security, and hardware compatibility updates. I'll pay you $1000 per year for a combined license to both. No more UPGRADES; no more FEATURE-ITIS; no more FILE FORMAT CHANGES; no more WATERED DOWN MOBILE VERSIONS. A license in perpetuity for a business productivity platform that will continue to run on whatever hardware life brings to us.

I'll even agree to buy your latest and greatest gaming/consumer crap rig for the fun adventurous stuff - JUST LEAVE MY BUSINESS DEVICE ALONE!

Sincerely.

dstrauss

PS - get Adobe to likewise freeze the current version of CC into a SKU'd bundle with with your Win10 (REALLY) Pro SKU, and I'll hand over $500 a year to them as well.

Somehow lock this all down through the TPM module, perhaps even with secure ROM for the OS and Software, and you will do more for mankind than all the years of Jobsonian disruption at Apple.

Your grateful licensee slave,

dstrauss

Last edited: Jan 29, 2019
  9. dstrauss

So now it is Windows, Office, and Adobe CC that have drawn my ire. The entire Windows stack is FUBAR - it's like the Great Pyramid of Giza is inverted. Here's suggestion number TWO - a ten year plan:
    • Buy Qualcomm - yes, buy it as your in house foundry
    • Custom re-write Windows for native execution on ARM
    • Re-write, not just recompile, Office as a native ARM application
    • Pay (at least subsidize) ARM native versions of
      • Adobe CC
      • Google Chrome
      • Facebook
      • Instagram
      • Twitter
      • Netflix
    Dear Intel:

So long, farewell, auf Wiedersehen, good night
    I hate to go and leave this gruesome sight

So long, farewell, auf Wiedersehen, adieu
    Adieu, adieu, to yieu and yieu and x86 too!

So long, farewell, au revoir, auf wiedersehen
    I'd like to stay and taste my first champagne

So long, farewell, auf Wiedersehen, goodbye
    I leave and heave a sigh and say goodbye -- Good riddance!
    I'm glad to go, I cannot tell a lie
    I flit, I float, I fleetly flee, I fly (to ARM)
    The sun has gone to bed and so must I

So long, farewell, auf Wiedersehen, goodbye
    Goodbye, goodbye, goodbye x86

Kumabjorn likes this.
  10. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

that's quite a turn around from having no interest in the GB2 b/c of ARM.

dstrauss and yodamiked like this.