RANT CITY MOC ( "miserable old curmudgeons")

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by dstrauss, Dec 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. soh5

soh5 Wait and Hope (Bronsky et al.) Senior Member

Yep. I am going to hold out for a thinkpad I think at this point. Connected standby has been terrible for the Surface line (owned the Pro 3 and Book).

The book gets incredibly hot when I put it to sleep. It is incredible how hot it gets when I put it to sleep. I've owned this book for a week and its done indexing, there is no need for this to occur.

2. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

As a cheap-ass user of computers and components almost exclusively obtained on eBay as used items, in reading over the endless problem reports on this forum and others, it suddenly struck me why I (almost) never experience these kinds of out-of-the-box problems...

You guys are the front-line, absorbing all the pain! Any device which makes it through its first life and onto eBay has been filtered for bugs and glitches and other dumb crap. The only problems I've had with eBay gear are wear and tear issues; a different class of problem. Otherwise, everything works as promised by the (archived) sales literature.

So hats off to you! Some cash poor eBay customer in the future working on hand-me-downs will appreciate your efforts, even if they don't realize it.

3. gcoupe

gcoupe Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

This explains why I get the distinct impression that quality is slipping in Windows 10 software.

The latest instance of that to hit me occurred when I came to fire up my trusty (20 year-old) HP LaserJet 5/5MP printer to print out waterproof mailing labels for our Christmas cards. I then discovered that the update to version 1511 of Windows 10 has broken the LPT port, and the printer won't work anymore.

Curse you, Microsoft.

4. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Apple fanbois are always ranting about how "it just works" because Apple controls both hardware and software. Well, guess what, Microsoft now have the opportunity for some upmanship, maybe they should focus on that instead of putting refrigeators with toasters on them in their presentations.

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk 4

Last edited: Dec 4, 2015
  5. Telstar1948

Telstar1948 Scribbler - Standard Member

I've got till January 15th to return my Surface Book (Best Buy holiday thing if you buy November 1 until end of December). I admit, I looked at the Thinkpad whatever and it had nice equipment (penable, touch, dGPU w/2G, I think i7 Skylake/256 PCIe etc) and it was around $900 give or take. I went ahead with the SB, but I'm still thinking about the TP even though it's heavier to some degree, screen isn't as nice.

6. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

My point EXACTLY. If Microsoft can't make it work flawlessly on the hardware they design and build, what the h@!! hope is there for any other OEM? Maybe "it just works" should replace meaningless marketing BS like "best laptop on any planet."

This is the fear I have for Microsoft. There is NO DOUBT the design and build of the Surface Pro 4 and Surface Book are second to none, but good lord MS - you are FORCING folks to look at alternatives.

7. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Brad Sams wrote about it here:

8. gcoupe

gcoupe Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Ah, gawd... Talk about cutting off one's nose to spite one's face...

9. dstrauss

I noticed Sams referred to Apple having similar problems with iOS 8 and iOS 9 (which is devoted to more stability). That is a gross overstatement, as we have six iPhone and four iPad users in our extended family, and NO ONE experienced shutdowns, restarts, or plain device failures as have occurred in Window 10 and the Surface devices.

This is NOT a common occurrence elsewhere - Microsoft is starting to skate on this ice with this one...don't misunderstand me - Windows 10 is LEAGUES better than Windows 8, but quality control is beyond sucks...

If they had to cut SOMETHING get rid of the entire Windows Phone division - hell, give it back to Nokia!

10. dstrauss

AveSharia likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.