RANT CITY MOC ( "miserable old curmudgeons")

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by dstrauss, Dec 3, 2015.

1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Ok sports fans, taking my cue from Meso about my broken "/rant off" - rather than sprinkling my Microsoft rants across multiple threads and ruining everyone else's enjoyment this holiday season, I will post them here, and encourage other ranters to do likewise - we can subtitle it "miserable old curmudgeons" for that matter. The place to blow off steam about Microsoft's ineptitude and shoddy practices - here's my latest rant from the SP3 Thread which began this exodus:

Welllllll...SP3 lost all external video support (surprise surprise) this morning when I plugged it back into the dock. Nothing would work; driver updates didn't help' changed DP cables (they are finicky so tried that) - NOTHING. Ran a system restore back to November; disconnected everything; started from scratch and finally got one, then second one, to connect. Now I'm wondering whether to reinstall the removed updates - wait, that's not an option; they are already reinstalled (not my doing) awaiting a scheduled restart in the morning.

What the hell - told it to restart and still working at the moment...

I HATE THIS MODEL OF WINDOWS 10 AS A WORK IN PROGRESS TO BE UPDATED WEEKLY WITH CRASH-INDUCING REGULARITY!

OMG - BILL AND STEVE - WHERE ARE WE WHEN WE NEED YOU?
    This is insane. B-busting updates that break existing hardware; new product release that require a System Update SIX WEEKS after release to stop fundamental video failures (REALLY PANOS, YOU DIDN'T SEE THAT IN BETA TESTING - OH WAIT, WE ARE THE BETA TESTERS); connected standby that STILL DOES NOT WORK RELIABLY...and I thought Linux was a tech support nightmare with so many different patches from so many different sources - thank good I don't need to support this POS at an enterprise level...

wataru and Mesosphere like this.
  2. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

Yeah Windows 10 has strange hardware support issues. Hopefully they'll get it all sorted out sooner rather than later.

3. dstrauss

Windows 10 Updates + Skylake + Intel Drivers + MS Hardware Innovation + Marvell Wireless + NVidia GPU = DISASTER!

4. jhoff80

jhoff80 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Yeah, one of the first things Satya Nadella did is let go of a large portion of testers in favor of programmers doing their own testing (and Insiders doing testing).

It's great in theory and saves Microsoft a ton of money, but testing is not always in a programmer's skillset. Plus, when you're debugging your own code, you're too close to it and introduce bias. And then the Insider Program is finding a ton of bugs, but I'm not sure that helps when we don't have the kind of advanced debug tools that an internal test department would have.

It seems to me that we're seeing the results of that now. Windows 10 was released buggy and incomplete, and received its first major patch and is buggy and incomplete. Windows 10 Mobile is buggy and incomplete on the 950 and 950XL which are actual devices on the market now. And the Xbox has been far buggier since updating to Windows 10.

Hopefully Microsoft is able to get a handle on this soon, because it could quickly get out of control.

5. dstrauss

I think it is on the edge of out of control already. Updates bring new problems, and don't solve the old ones (witness in our own little community here the number of folks still having video driver issues after the great savior yesterday). It is astounding to me that Panos got through the introduction of the SP4 and SB without a complete meltdown. It is only anecdotal (this forum and mine and my son's personal experiences), but the Surface Book is a POS when it comes to being a reliable hybrid I could count on in my practice or his law teaching program. You cannot get attached to a device that either randomly shut downs; overheats; and/or drains battery when closed...

"When I close it, I'm saving every bit of battery life with no drain..." ummmm, no, I don't think so....

6. soh5

soh5 Wait and Hope (Bronsky et al.) Senior Member

I am returning my surface book. I closed the lid, woke up in the morning at the office and the surface book was incredibly hot with no battery left.

If I am spending 3k for a device, this shouldnt happen.

AveSharia and ships10 like this.
  7. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

What's odd is that Windows 10 is solid on the lowly Atom. Build 10586 works fine. So does connected standby. In fact, the new build improves touch and feels more responsive.

Oh wait! Sorry for not ranting.

revmike and soh5 like this.
  8. soh5

soh5 Wait and Hope (Bronsky et al.) Senior Member

Bronsky always happy as a clam.

hiramkey and Bronsky like this.
  9. be77solo

be77solo Scribbler - Standard Member

Glad to see this thread, between your rants and all the damn iPad Pro talk scattered across all the other threads I was dreading even coming around this place anymore...

long live real machines with real OS's (even if Dale hates them this week ha) :D

10. dstrauss

Dale doesn't hate a real OS - and I refuse to even acknowledge the existence of the iPad XL, BUT

I am furious about the kind of experience that soh5 and many others are having with Surface Book, and to lesser extent the SP4. This is "the ultimate laptop" according to Panay; far from it. There are much less expensive HP and Dell offerings that are more stable and reliable. That is unacceptable BECAUSE it was portrayed as the flagship device, and should NEVER have been released - there is no way they couldn't have known about the display driver issues and crappy (dis)connected standby.

AveSharia likes this.