Random Lockups when on battery

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by Dolvich, Jul 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maverick46

maverick46 Scribbler - Standard Member

I've been running two days with TM enabled and the crashing has stopped. Seems that the matrix storage driver has fixed the issue.

2. jywang

jywang Scribbler - Standard Member

I wanted to give a quick update on my experience with the new TM drivers. At first, the new drivers seemed to work for me. I had installed them using the instructions I gave in this thread. However, after a few lockups and forced reboots that caused startup errors, I gave up and did a fresh clean Vista install with the new drivers instead of upgrading from the old drivers. This method seems to have worked for me.

There were a few pieces of software I did not reinstall the second time around so there is a small chance that one of the them might have been causing my problem. Regardless, I have finally been able to sleep and hibernate and use my X61t without any lockups and forced reboots.

I will make a posting soon on my clean install steps.

3. curarine

curarine Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm guessing a lot of people (myself included) developed enough data corruption before installing the 7.6 drivers to cause continued occasional lockups and application errors. Therefore, I think the clean install's a good idea, and will likely follow suit soon just to make sure i'm starting on solid ground.

4. tngreene

tngreene Pen Pal - Newbie

After 3 weeks of frustrating lock-ups, I tried the new Intel Matrix Drivers, and was able for the first time ever to use the laptop in tablet mode with no crashes. It's only been 1 day, but this is the best sign yet.

Another question (perhaps related, perhaps I should make it another thread): After I boot into Vista, the hard drive light flickers (i.e. the HD is being accessed) consistently. In XP, after a few minutes of boot up time, the HD would go dormant, but now, its constantly being accessed, even if I don't touch it for 20 minutes, with no programs running.

Is this normal for Vista? Related to lock-ups we're experiencing? Or something altogether different?

Thanks....

5. g2tl

g2tl Scribbler - Standard Member

It's superfetch.
    I tried disabling it, which did stop the crazy hdd party after booting up.
    I turned it back on as I actually saw a noticeable difference in performance.
    Besides, if you check using the performance and reliability monitor, the transfer rate of what superfetch does is small enough to ignore and do whatever I need to do.
    My only complaint is that I wish I could stop it when I'm on the battery.

6. tngreene

tngreene Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks..that explains it. Guess it;s not related to the lock-ups, which is good news. And, another 8 hours later, still no more lock-ups. I'm about done holding my breath.

Re: the superfetch, I wonder how much extra strain, if any, its puts on the HD...think the numbers of HD failures will start rising as more people have Vista/Superfetch?

7. krypticide

krypticide Scribbler - Standard Member

I get very infrequent lockups, maybe 3 times now since July 6, even with the new matrix drivers installed.

8. krypticide

krypticide Scribbler - Standard Member

Argh, lockups happening more often now... seems to kick in when Active Protection does.

9. doctorcilantro

doctorcilantro Scribbler - Standard Member

JYWANG - Did you do a clean install with F6 option to install via floppy utility?

I'm unclear on whether or not this is akin to a specialized SATA/RAID driver that must loaded upon install in the aformentioned manner.

EDIT - I see that the 64bit floppy is an old version - I'll jut stick to the new one.

thanks
    DC

10. xtg05

xtg05 Pen Pal - Newbie

Have you tried to DISABLE the Windows Hybrid Hard Disk Power Saving option?
    You can find the option from [Control Panel]-[Power Options]-[Change plan settings]-[Change advanced power settings]-[Hard disk]-[Windows Hybrid Hard Disk Power Savings Mode].
    I recently disabled the option, and now I have been without any kind of lockups for 6 days with my ReadyDrive-enabled X61T.
    Try it, and give me some feedback.:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.