Random Lockups when on battery

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by Dolvich, Jul 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. krypticide

krypticide Scribbler - Standard Member

Unless there's a hardware defect, there definitely should be a way to avoid BSODs. I've run my tablet for 3+ hours on battery and have only once gotten some weird behavior...

2. curarine

curarine Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey, folks. Been watching this thread and have tried a few things for these problems. I know I'll be the most recent in a long line to say this, but I believe a solution is at hand:

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Product_Filter.aspx?ProductID=1809

Version 7.6 of the Matrix storage software includes fixes for the BSOD and battery hang problems, explicitly documented in the release notes. It appears (2 hours in) to have worked for me. I've been able to re-enable turbo memory and operate on battery using the Lenovo-included "Energy Star" power configuration. The system is stable through standby and resume, and with Active Protection and Active Rotate enabled.

Hope this helps someone else. I know how frustrating this problem has been.

I'm on a 7767-96U: X61t SXGA+ / 120GB 5400RPM / 2 GB RAM / Vista Business / Turbo Memory / Bluetooth / 802.11 ABG

3. ygthb

ygthb SQA Start-Up Guy

so, Just install this matrix driver, reboot, re-enable TM, and go?

4. curarine

I installed the driver, rebooted, enabled TM and rebooted again. I can't see why you couldn't do both (while plugged in) and then reboot once.

Of note, i'm 8 hours of use in, and no signs of lockups with this solution. Things are running a bit faster, too.

5. drifter

drifter Pen Pal - Newbie

last night i went through the steps outlined by jywang. It was fine for about 8hrs and then froze on IE. At this point don't know what to do next! another problem that i'm having is that my trackpoint keeps on fighting me and drifting back when released. any ideas?

6. jywang

jywang Scribbler - Standard Member

You might want to consider uninstalling trackpoint drivers from Lenovo. You can tell if it is installed if you have tp4serv.exe in your process list. This driver is problematic when switching users and the only disadvantage I see if uninstalled is that you lose the middle button for scrolling.

Please let us know if you get another freeze. I think the jury is still out as to whether or not the 7.6 storage drivers and the 1.1.0.1010 tm drivers have resolved all issues.

7. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Scribbler - Standard Member

I installed version 7.6 of the Intel Matrix storage software and now my two check boxes to re-enable Readyboost and Readydrive are greyed out in the Intel Turbo memory console. I'm probably doing something stupid. Anyone have any ideas they could share? Thanks!

8. curarine

I don't know why they'd be greyed out. Mine were unchecked (as i had disabled TM), but when i checked them, i got a message prompting me to reboot. notably, the check mark doesn't actually appear before a reboot. you have to click the first box, choose not to reboot, click the second box, choose to reboot, and rerun the utility to see that everything is properly enabled.

It's a poorly designed utility at best.

2 full days in, now, and the only problems i've had are with the LCD bezel (like everyone else) and occasional access connections problems (but i know from my non-lenovo desktop that this is probably a Vista networking issue)

For the record, i'm using the 1.0.1.1004 TM driver -- the newest available through system update -- and the current 1.04 BIOS. I haven't needed the 1.0.1.1010 TM driver. I have the Trackpoint enabled and haven't had problems with it.

9. krypticide

krypticide Scribbler - Standard Member

To fix the drift, just let go of the trackstick for a few seconds. It will re-calibrate itself. The problem is that if you hold the trackstick in a particular position for a few seconds, it thinks that the new "home" location, so you'll end up fighting with it. Just let it go and you'll be fine.

10. ygthb

ygthb SQA Start-Up Guy

I think there is an issue with IE7 and Vista, I have had it lock up on more than the tablet, so we might be able to discount that.

I installed the new matrix driver, enabled readydrive onthe TM andreadyboost on the ultraII 2 GB sd card I leave in all the time, seems to be working fine.

As a question, would this setup usethe whole gig of TM for readydrive? then the 2 gig for readyboost?

ART

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.