Random Lockups when on battery

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by Dolvich, Jul 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Charles P. Jefferies

Charles P. Jefferies Administrator Super Moderator

An update to my experiment here - as I stated before, I had the TM enabled and the security chip disabled. That worked the first two times on battery but after I restarted on AC and then went on battery again, I was locking up in 2 - 3 minutes. So I disabled the TM and enabled the security chip like I had before and now it's fine.

2. maverick46

maverick46 Scribbler - Standard Member

I just wanted to give a quick update on what IBM is doing with my laptop. They are replacing the system board and I should have it back sometime this week. I will update you guys then.

3. Syngm

Syngm Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello all. Found this post while trying to find a fix for my new Lenovo X61 Tablet Brick. It is hard to believe the problems I am having, but here they are on this forum. Initially when I got my tablet, I installed some programs and started using it. It didn't take long to learn that this tablet has some big problems... Locking up randomly, BSOD blue screens repeatedly. I flashed the bios, updated the TM turbo memory and spent all sorts of time on the thing- no change. I restored the computer to factory condition, only to have the same problems. Then the thing crashed and would not boot. Now I am restoring to factory settings for the second time. I tried to talk to tech support, but was placed on hold for 15 minutes each time (3 times), only to have my call transferred then droped before getting to a tech. I would do a clean install, but without a CD ROM it is difficult to do so. If anyone has any ideas I would love to hear about them. This is messed up!

4. g2tl

g2tl Scribbler - Standard Member

If you can access the safe mode, go there, uninstall the TM, and disable it from device manager
    If you cannot access anything at all, unscrew, take out the keyboard, take out the palm rest, and then take out the TM module.

5. X6t-fan

X6t-fan Pen Pal - Newbie

I also spent ages trying to figure this out. One would not expect a brand new system to be bluescreening out of the box ... I thought those days were over as I have not seem one single one since XP SP2.

Anyway, here is what I did and it seems to be working fine for the last few days - no freezes or bsod's.

Download: Intel® Turbo Memory driver 1.1.0.1010 (8/2/2007) from http://downloadcenter.intel.com/fil...dows+Vista*+32&lang=eng&strOSs=164&submit=Go!

I had the following changes in drivers after using the Intel updates:

Intel(R) 82801HEM/HBM SATA AHCI Controller
    Before: 7.0.3.1001
    After: 7.0.1.1001

Intel(R) Turbo Memory Controller
    Before: 1.0.1.1010
    After: 1.1.0.1010

It seems the AHCI driver was rolled back and the TM driver updated. Strange, but it seems to work! Anyway, my X61t was pretty much useless on batteries before this and now it is very solid. No problems whatsoever - even with Readydrive and Readyboost enabled.:)

It is also essential I think to do the clean install as suggested in this forum. The bloatware definitely does not help stability and memory ... It reduced my active processes by at least 20!

Always be careful and backup etc. What worked with me may not work for all. X61T (7767B7U)

Hope this helps,

Marc

6. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Scribbler - Standard Member

Has anyone else tried X6t-fan's fix? I sure would like to Readydrive and Readyboost working, but I am afraid to try it again. It's my work machine and it really screwed things up with the TM enabled the first time I tried. Thanks.

7. jywang

jywang Scribbler - Standard Member

I tried the 1.1.0.1010 and instead of getting freezes, I've started getting BSOD with 0x00008086. I've since disabled both readyboost and readydrive from the Intel Console but just got another BSOD 0x00008086 and I double checked and it is still disabled.

I don't recommend the new driver yet. It is best to keep the older one and have both disabled.

8. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Scribbler - Standard Member

Thanks jywang, that's what I was afraid of.

9. Draxus

Draxus Pen Pal - Newbie

I got an x61t a few weeks ago and thought I'd share my experiences with the problem. I got the 8086 bluescreens when on battery out of the box. Messing around with new drivers and such did nothing, and I ended up doing a restore since I wanted to remove some of the bloatware and hoped it would fix the problem... which it of course did not. I reluctantly disabled TM and the lockups went away. The new driver gives me BSODs instead of lockups. I've even installed the leaked vista SP1 and sadly it still locks up. I did notice something I haven't heard mentioned yet, I'm curious if anyone else has seen this. When I got a lockup (not BSOD), if I waited long enough, often a message would pop up reading "Faiure - security options". Everything remained locked up though. It made me wonder if CSS was indeed related somehow.

In any case, for me keeping TM disabled with the older drivers works just fine. I'm still using CSS and all the other Thinkvantage software. Sucks to have wasted the $50.

10. jywang

jywang Scribbler - Standard Member

0x0008086 BSOD resolved (or at least for the last 24 hours...)

Recap: I was getting system freezes with the 1.0.1.1014 drivers that Lenovo released. This was in combination with the updated storage drivers that were 7.0.3.1001. So, I decided to install the latest turbo memory drivers (1.1.0.1010) from Intel OVER the Lenovo drivers. Immediately, I started getting 0x00008086 BSOD instead. So, finally, I disabled the turbo memory from the console and yet I continued to get the 0x0008086 BSOD.

Finally, yesterday, I decided to do the following steps:

1) UNINSTALL Intel Turbo Memory from the Programs control panel.
    2) After rebooting, I verified that there was a device in the device manager that had no driver.
    3) Next, I installed the new 1.1.0.1010 Turbo Memory Driver from Intel.

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?strState=LIVE&ProductID=2813&DwnldID=13805&agr=N&lang=eng&PrdMap=2813

4) After reboot, I immediately installed the Storage Matrix 7.6.0.1011 from Intel.

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=N&ProductID=2101&DwnldID=13806&strOSs=164&OSFullName=Windows%20Vista*%2032&lang=eng

Both of these drivers were released by Intel on 8/2/2007. I'm not sure why the Intel Turbo Memory drivers were released with the older Storage Matrix drivers.

In any case, for the last 12 hours, I've had no BSOD and I'll report back if any do occur. But, at least, this seems like a good way to go about getting Turbo Memory working...

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.