Random Lockups when on battery

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by Dolvich, Jul 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dolvich

Dolvich Scribbler - Standard Member

Lately I've been experiencing some random lockups. I'll be surfing the web, click on a new link and the link won't load. IE (or firefox, has happened with both) will then lock up. Soon after the entire computer will lock up. I can't ctrl-alt-delete out or do pretty much anything other than power it down. Its happened when using other applications as well, but mainly when surfing the web (granted 95% of what I've been using the laptop for lately has been surfing the web). It also seems to only occur when I'm running on battery power.

It most recently happened a few hours ago and after having to shut down the system, a file was corrupted and I had to restore my system. Since then it seems to be working ok (knock on wood) but the lock ups seem to be pretty random and I also haven't reinstalled any software. Anyone have any idea what might be wrong? I submitted a report to IBM but from reports about their customer service and the fact that the lockups seem to be random, I have my doubts about them being able to help.

2. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

It would appear you have some form of corruption on your system.

Have you tried sweeping the Tablet for signs of Spyware?
    It could simply be a remote access file or similar that has infected your machine causing the lockups.

3. Dolvich

It may have been spyware (can't check now since I wiped the system), although I had Nod32 and Windows Defender active the whole time. Since the wipe, its been working ok. I'm going to give it a few days, run it on battery as much as possible before installing anything to see if it happens again. It could be a problem with some of the software I've installed although I can't imagine what would be causing the conflict.

Edit: I take it back. Just crashed on me again. Haven't installed anything new. Very frustrating and talking w/tech support now.

4. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

If you've wiped the system then yes I would agree it has probably vanished now.

If it were not spyware then lets hope it was corruption in either a software conflict or a corrupt driver of some sort.

What we don't want to hear is it being some sort of hardware issue.

You are doing right by not installing anything for the time being..... It will prove if you have an issue with the hardware.

Have a look at the 'Event Viewer' to see if any errors are showing.
    Click Start/Control Panel/Administrative Tools and select Event Viewer.

5. hmorgan25

hmorgan25 Pen Pal - Newbie

i experienced this, did a recover twice...then reloaded from scratch, and it solved the problem. I believe it to be inherint in Lenovo's image of winVista.

I had major crashes, total lockup in Windows Journal mostly, but in other apps as well. Then after a fresh install, and loaded back the Thinkvantage SW, i started to get a BSOD 8086 with 0x0000000 (all zeros) weird.

So i uninstalled the thinkvantage button driver and shortcut menu, and all bsod issues, locking up issues completel 100% went away, it now has been running perfectly for 5 days, and i run it mostly on battery. it runs beautifully. the only thing i really don't have now that i care about is auto-rotate, but that is what was causing my bsod mostly. i may try to reinstall the shortcut menu SW which is what gives you the capability of autorotate, but after a they release a newer version.

I don't think support can help you, but i hope i'm wrong.

6. g2tl

g2tl Scribbler - Standard Member

do you guys have Turbo Memory?
    I had the same problem, so I uninstalled TM software and disabled the hardware
    supposedly there's a conflict b/w TM and active protection

Check this thread out. It might help

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  7. hmorgan25

hmorgan25 Pen Pal - Newbie

I have TM, and have the intel TM SW installed no issues, yet.

8. dp22

dp22 Tablet Fan

I had a few lockups as well when I was on battery. I was using one note though so I didn't lose any info when it did. It locked up 3 times while I used the entire battery. It could be TM but I have no idea now. I actually thought it was the heat!:rolleyes:

It works fine now but I'm mostly not running on battery.

This is bad news... but I kind of expected it when new models come out with new technology. There's bound to be bugs that Intel and Lenovo need to sort out.

9. Sassafras

Sassafras Scribbler - Standard Member

I had to remove Windows defender from my slate awhile back because it locked up my computer. Have no idea if this pertains to your issues, but if you had put defender back on and it froze up...it could be that. Though since it only does it on battery power...probably not. Thought I'd throw it out there though.

-Sass

10. Dolvich

Support wasn't all that helpful. They basically just had me run system update to make sure I had up to date drivers. They were very friendly though. To be honest and fair, I'm not sure how they would've been able to diagnose the problem over the phone. It was something that would happen randomly and not something I could replicate on demand.

They over-nighted me a box to send the laptop in to get serviced. I got it on Thursday (because Wed was the 4th and a holiday in the US). I dropped it off Thursday night at a DHL pickup and it got to their service center on Friday morning.

I'll let you guys know how it goes and post about my overall experiences with their tech support. My main worry is that the crash won't happen for them and they'll send it back as-is. I do have turbo memory so that could be the issue. I don't know why the problem would only occur on battery though. I used it for about a week, for the most part on AC power, and it never crashed. Based on the thread g2tl posted, it seems like I'm not the only one with this problem. Hopefully Lenovo recognizes it and comes up with a fix soon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.