RAM Upgrades & Toshiba's Notebook Maximizer

Discussion in 'Toshiba' started by blindell, Jul 13, 2005.

1. wchutche

wchutche Pen Pal - Newbie

I've installed 2 gig of RAM on my R15. System Properties indicates the computer has 1.98 GB, which is fine. However, when I look at Toshiba's Notebook Maximizer, it indicates the computer has Total Physical Memory of 2032 MB but Available Physical Memory of only 1431 MB. Can anyone explain this to me? Is it a problem? The same issue happens on my Toshiba M45 conventional notebook, too. If I use the original 512 chip and only one of the new 1GB chips, I get a similar problem--reported Physical Memory of about 1.5 GB but Available Physical Memory of 1 GB. This seems like more than the shared graphics claims, right? I searched the Toshiba support DB and a few 3d party forums like this but didn't run across an answer. Apologies if I overlooked it.

2. Barry J. Doyle

Barry J. Doyle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I think there are 2 possibilities:

1. It is very likely that the software is not counting the RAM that is allocated to the integrated graphics as your total sytem RAM, therefore subtracting it from the total.

2. It is more often than not that Windows itself and various software utilities report the amount of physical RAM incorrectly.

Still concerned? Check your BIOS. You need to enter "setup" when you boot. Most likely this will be the place where your total memory will be displayed correctly. No matter what, don't worry. If your machine is running correctly, then your new RAM is fine - you would have problems if it was defective. Also, like I said it is very common to have these misreads by most software utilities and Windows itself.

3. blindell

blindell Pen Pal - Newbie

1gb = 1024mb, so 1.98gb = 1.98 *1024 = 2028, which is pretty darn close to the Notebook maximizer's reading (probably due to rounding, 1.9844gb = 2032mb)

The Available Physical Memory reading is probably due to some being in use (windows, programs, etc), and the graphics chip siphoning away the rest, leaving you with a gig and a half left to dedicate to programs not already running.

That being said, some motherboards (they especially had problems with this in the good ol days of 4meg ram chips) require ram to be replaced in certain combinations... ie something like: a 512, then a 1giger, but never a 1giger then a 512. Although your problem is probably addressed above, if your still concerned, you can call toshiba and ask them for appropriate combinations