Ram upgrade( T4210?)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by namrog84, Jul 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PYROTAK

PYROTAK Scribbler - Standard Member

depends im not sure actually. i have never actually forayed into the field of laptops with dual channels (that was what an innovation from like a year or two ago?).

i do know that originally with dual channel desktop systems that people had to buy matched sticks of ram for compatability issues with some motherboards. sometimes you could use different manufactures, sometimes you couldn't.

no idea how that applies to current dual channel technology. you guys should run memory benchmarks with sisoft sandra and compare results in memory bandwidth, those of you with dual channel supposedly enabled or supposedly disabled to find out for sure!

2. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Unless you own a Toshiba M400 and like taking the keyboard out first......:D

3. PYROTAK

haha are you serious?

nice job toshiba - bunch of morons!

4. NewbieX

NewbieX Pen Pal - Newbie

I have a newbie question. How do you know that particular RAM "fits" the Fujitsu T4210? Or is laptop memory all pretty standard these days?

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  5. PYROTAK

its in the specs i think its 677mhz ddr2 sodimm.

6. NewbieX

NewbieX Pen Pal - Newbie

Yeah. I just looked at the specs.

Two DIMM slots; max 2 GB (1 GB x 2), 200-pin SO-DIMM, DDR2 667 MHz with dual channel support

I understand now.

So, does this mean it would be better/cheaper to order a Fujitsu T4210 with only 512MB RAM and then replace/upgrade the RAM after you get it? You can almost get 2GB from Newegg instead of 1GB from Fujitsu for about the same price.

Does anyone know what brand of memory Fujitsu uses? I could understand their prices if they use Crucial memory.

Newegg Crucial 1GB = $139.99
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820145048

7. numbah

numbah Pen Pal - Newbie

I opened the T4210's memory compartment when I first received the computer. It was a Samsung brand DDR2 5300 stick if that helps. Anyone else receive different memory?

8. chunkypuffin

chunkypuffin Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi all,

new to this forum after trolling for a couple of months deciding whether to get a tablet or not (thanks p8rson for your help through PM) and about to get my T4210 (first ever tablet, who says christmas doesn't come early :D ). I ordered it with 512M RAM with the intention of adding a 1 gig stick myself but wasn't aware of the dual channel issue. Is this definitely the case and if so would it be such a loss in performance that I should just add a 512 stick instead?

Thanks in advance for your help

Craig

PS to site admin - quality site, keep up the good work:)

9. PYROTAK

its not going to be such as loss its just that you are going to have less total memory bandwidth.

and it was a huge difference back in the day dual channel vs not dual channel.

but lets not forget that total memory also has an effect on system performance

like I said, someone with a t4120 download sisoft sandra and run the memory bench and post the results.

if someone with dual channel config posts a bench and someone with a supposedly not dual channel config posts a bench they we will know for sure if it makes an appreciable difference or not.

10. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Craig,
    Did you get my lengthy email I sent you last Saturday?
    You asked for assistance with RAM.
    I sent a reply back more or less straight away but never heard back from you.....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.