RAM and HD upgrade...

Discussion in 'Acer (Gateway)' started by Spartikiss, Nov 15, 2007.

1. Spartikiss

Spartikiss Scribbler - Standard Member

So...

My C140 is getting a little buggy... (Too much pron... :( )

Anyway... Since I'm gonna have to re-install Vista, I thought I might as well switch out the hard drive...

I've been looking to buy (from best buy) The hitachi 7k200 series external 200gb drive...

According to these guys here: http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=175994

If you get the right one (Serial number must start with DTG or DEG) , its actually the same HDD as this one here:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822145160&Tpk=hitachi%2b7k200

You can (assuming it has the right SN) take it out of the case and install it internally in the notebook...

Questions: Assuming this works... Can I still use the hitachi external case for my current 80gb HDD? Is this gonna work on my laptop (Main concern is... Are our HDDs SATA, ATA (is there a diff?), or IDE?

depending on how it all works out, I may just go with the one from new egg and get the combo, which includes an external HDD case that I'm pretty sure will work...

Also...

I originally upgraded to 2 GB of RAM through gateway... (Stupid I know...) But since my brother is planning on getting one of these beasts from MPC (He's gonna go all out... Max upgrade on the hardware except RAM and HDD... I'm gonna do the same for him as I do for myself with this HDD upgrade.. Lucky him) I'm thinking about just getting myself a 2gb MEM card and giving him one of my 1 MEM cards... This I'll order from where it's cheapest...

But...

What type should I get? PC___?

I'm a little confused... Overall I don't plan on spending more than $250 for all of this... if I can get the one from best buy with a Turkey day sale of some sort... Well.. I might just get all this for under $200.

I've got some time but... I'd like to be fully informed first...

questions are:

-Can I use the Hitachi case?
    -Are our drives IDE or SATA?
    -What 2gb mem stick should I get?

Any help would be appreciated :)

-Spart

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  2. Spartikiss

Come on guys... 15 views and no responses?

It makes me sad...

:(

-Spart

3. bpjen

bpjen Pen Pal - Newbie

not sure about the hitachi case, but the installed drive is sata, so the newegg drive is the one you want. (I have it, it is great) If the hitachi drive is sata, then you can use it, but the ones listed on the bestbuy website are 5400 rpm drives, so they are not the same as the newegg drive.

as for memory, the kind you want is 200-Pin DDR2 SO-DIMM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) I got this from newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820144066 and it is great (and about $30 cheaper than when I got it!)

I hope this helps.

4. Spartikiss

Stupid me... I deleted my response..

Thanks a whole bunch bpjen...

I'm really only looking at getting 2gigs (1x2gb) since I already have 2 gigs (2x1gb) from factory... Total would be 3gigs (1x1gb and 1x2gb)

I came up with this list here:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2000260381%201309221136%201309121116&bop=And&Order=PRICE

Do I need to match the PC25300 with what came from Gateway? I don't know but I'm pretty sure our notebooks support PC25400... Would it make a difference if they were mismatched? Which one is faster? Which one came with m computer? Is there a way to check without opening the system?

-Spart

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  5. tomtheweirdguy

tomtheweirdguy Pen Pal - Newbie

There is a very easy way to tell which kind of RAM is installed in the computer. Download CPU-Z from http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php, unzip the files to any directory, and run CPU-Z. On the SPD tab, you will see loads of info about your RAM, including what type of RAM it has. For example, mine has PC2-5300.

There is of course a plethora of information available through this software, and if you would like to know how to tell the program which core of your dual core proc to look at, just let me know. It defaults to Core 0, but can tell you all about Core 1 as well (even at the same time).

6. Spartikiss

What about the HDD...? Anyone?

7. bpjen

bpjen Pen Pal - Newbie

IF the hd in the case from hitachi is a 2.5 in sata drive, yes, you would be able to switch out the drives. as I said, though, from best buy website the only hitachi drives I saw were 5400 rpm drives. If you are going to switch out the drive, i'd go for the 7200 rmp.

8. Spartikiss

does clock frequency make a diff? CPU-Z says my 2 samsung 1gb sticks are running at 333Mhz...?

Shouldn't they be higher?