RadialMenu/Toolbar 0.4.6.326

Discussion in 'Software' started by incrediclint, Oct 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

I also experienced some pen and touch issues on my SP3 while working with RM, Toolbar Creator, and TouchMe in conjunction. Even sometimes with just RM and Toolbar Creator together. Pen and touch kept dropping out and being very unresponsive. I rebooted a few times, and it sometimes helped for a bit, but the problem kept reoccurring. I tried various versions, turning off this and then that, etc, but never came to any definitive conclusions about what was causing the problem.

Has anyone else been having this sort of problem? Does it have something to do with using RM in conjunction with other programs like TouchMe or Toolbar Creator? I thought maybe, but I also wondered of it was just that I had a SP3 with issues ...???

2. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I've removed TouchMe engine, which I never really used anyway.

3. incrediclint

incrediclint Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm sure it's on issue where the same number of "up" events aren't be sent as "down" events, for mouse, pen, or touch. Between Toolbar Creator and RM, it's probably RM as there is a lot of events RM has to block and deal with for touch /pen specific features.

As for as touchme goes I know it doesn't block the default gestures and events, like pinch to zoom/rotate. The default gestures get launched as well as the ones for touchme (the brightness 4 finger gesture also activates zoom in sone applications for example). Other than that, I've had no problems with touchme/radialmenu both running.

RadialMenu does still cause some issues when it's running and your in the metro ui though. Still haven't tracked all of them down.

4. Steve B

Sadly, I absolutely adore the TouchMe gesture engine, and use it religiously when browsing on the desktop (opening tabs, closing tabs, navigating between tabs, etc.), as well as quickly and easily moving windows, opening the on-screen keyboard, etc. I would rather not have to choose between the two programs, as I really love both of them. Though in truth RM is primarily for use with art programs, during which time I don't use TouchMe engine at all. So, hypothetically, I could turn one program off when I turn on the other, as their usage cases don't overlap for me.

Is it a known problem with the two programs running at the same time?

5. incrediclint

I haven't experienced any, and there shouldn't be any problems.

6. Steve B

Cool. Perhaps it's my SP3 then.

I didn't see you were posting at the same time I was. I see now that you largely answered my questions in your previous post. Thanks. :)

7. incrediclint

Anyone having issues when in the metro UI/start screen in windows 8? I find that if RM is running, I can right click in the metro internet explorer window, but can't click on any of the menu options, like when your trying to copy text from a website etc...

It shouldn't be causing any issues, because all the event handling in RM is supposed to be disabled when your in the metro UI/ start screen....

8. HoodedRobin

HoodedRobin Pen Pal - Newbie

Absolutely loving Radial Menu, it's been an absolute delight to use with Blender and in conjunction with ArtDock.

A couple of issues that have popped up between the version v0.3.6.255 and v0.3.10.276:
    - There's an annoying little rectangle now popping up whenever I switch programs, I'm guessing it's to do with Radialmenu announcing a menu switch but no text appears in the box. And if it did, announcing that it's switched is still quite annoying to the eye.
    - In the new version when i select an option in a submenu and then do something else and then activate Radialmenu again, the menu pops up still inside the submenu that I finished in last time which is very annoying and I can't seem to find an option to change this behaviour.

So now I'm back using v0.3.6.255 and happy again :)

9. incrediclint

Both fixed for the next release. There is now an option to enable profile switch notifications, by default they are off. The submenu thing was an unintended result of some code changes. It's all good now though. Thanks for the feedback!

10. incrediclint

The next release will have the capability to remap up to 5 keyboard/hardware buttons as long as those buttons send keyboard commands. Instead of doing Surface Pro 3 specific remapping I decided to make it more universal. The method I'm using to do this is essentially the same way AutoHotkey remaps keys, so it's capturing keyboard presses, and not capturing it at a deeper hardware level as I do with the stylus/touch.

Some caveats with the SP3 though:

The windows key on the side sends no commands until after the key is released, so remapping this key will be limited to fire and forget commands, ie. no hold to activate/release to deactivate type toggles.

Same thing for the pen top button. It sends nothing until it is released, and then when it's released it sends Windows Key Down, F20 Down, Windows Key Up, F20 Up. Apparently F20 in the start screen / metro UI opens onenote, hence the reason it sends the windows key first to activate the start screen. The order that it does this presents problems since it's not using the windows key as a modifier key. Normally I could check for Windows + F20 key, block both of them and launch our own custom command, but this isn't possible because it's not being used as a modifier - the Windows Key UP command is sent BEFORE the F20 Up command, if it were a modifier it would be F20 UP, then Windows Key UP.)

So basically remapping the windows key on the side has the same effect for the pen top button as well, as well as any other windows keys for the type cover for example. Disabling the windows key altogether though fixes some things. With the windows key disabled it will be blocked for both the windows touch button as well as the pen, so then you can remap the pen top button as any other keyboard command. So I'm adding an option to disable the windows key specifically for SP3 users. I know the surface hub has this option, but it doesn't seem to work on my SP3, and I think that option disables it at a driver/hardware level more then likely rather then blocking all windows key presses.

Anyway, TLDR:

Is 5 buttons enough for most devices you guys are using?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.