RadialMenu/Toolbar 0.4.6.326

Discussion in 'Software' started by incrediclint, Oct 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

So you can't create an event that would be like "pen button pressed_double tap_on desktop = launch radial_menu"? I don't think that action interferes with anything. It would come darn close to Wacom's method of launching.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk 4

2. ron2k_1

ron2k_1 calibuchi Senior Member

Or 2 (or 3) consecutive presses of the right click pen button without touching the screen in hover mode? Nobody really double right-click these days. ..

Swiped from my Galaxy Note 8 using Tapatalk

Last edited: Oct 23, 2014
  3. incrediclint

incrediclint Scribbler - Standard Member

RadialMenu 0.2.4.94 - released October 24, 2014
    - Added: Toolbar: More options for positioning the 3 main UI buttons.
    - Fixed: Toolbar button background color change when hovering and buttons in the toggled state.
    - Added: Toggle commands can now be switched to 'hold' commands by unchecking "Toggle". Doing so will mean you have to hold the button down for it to remain active, just the same as a keyboard. Primarily for modifier keys. It will not trigger key repeat though.
    - Changed: All buttons now fire on mouse down instead of mouse up, this is a side effect of the toggle command being changed and how we handle mouse down / mouse up events. Easily fixed if it presents a problem in the future.
    - Added: Toolbar: Customizable buttons, color, border size, icon size.
    - Changed: 'Use center button as right click' only activates by right mouse.
    - Changed: 'Use center button as right click' mechanics changed to show button for 2 seconds.
    - Added: 'Use center button as right click" option to settings.
    - Added: Center button right click functionality.
    - Fixed: RadialMenu: "Menu Follows Mouse" now works correctly with dpi scaling.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2014
    ron2k_1 likes this.
  4. incrediclint

Wacom has direct access at a hardware level and can integrate it into their driver. If I did access it on a hardware level, it would only work for specific hardware and wouldn't be universal. Pen input isn't standardized like touch input is, pen is specific to each device.

When it comes to detecting pen input globally, I can detect it, but it registers as mouse input. I can tell if that input came from a mouse, pen, or touch device, but I can't get any information about the device itself such as which pen button is pressed. It's more difficult because of the way windows handles pen input. For example, with right clicks for pens... it doesn't send a single mouse down message when you press the pen button... it waits until you release the button then sends both the down command AND the up command. If you press the button down and while holding it down move the mouse, it sends both the mouse down command and mouse up command. That's the problem I've been having trying to get it to work better with my tablet.

Without global access to targeted pen data I have to base everything off of the converted mouse commands so I could do a "double CLICK on desktop" to show radialmenu but nothing pen specific. BUT, I saw that the surface pro might actually use keyboard codes for some of it's commands, those I can read no problem and it's something I'm looking into.

I can also detect touch input, but no details about it, so it would be a "if ( leftmousedown AND isTouchInput) ShowRadialMenu)()" type thing but it would always do it for every single touch event that generates a mouse down command.

I'm looking into reading raw input and trying to decipher that, but so far it doesn't appear their is a global way to do that without having an active window either.

As I said above, I can't get the state of the pen buttons specifically, only the mouse commands that windows converts those to... and no events are generated until the action is complete. I could do 2-3 CLICKS, but that's it.

Now if I had an active window that had focus... I could do all and anything we wanted... but ... sigh.

ron2k_1 and Kumabjorn like this.
  5. Kumabjorn

Thank you for a thorough explanation. I could obviously be wrong but I think those of us on N-Trig devices are more interested in your app since Wacom already provides a radial menu for Wacom enabled digitizers. So if there is a possibility to make a specific SP3 I'm all for it. :p

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk 4

6. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I haven't tested this build yet, but as of a couple of days ago, RadialMenu was working very well on my Surface Pro 3, including recognizing right pen button clicks.

7. ron2k_1

ron2k_1 calibuchi Senior Member

Thanks a lot for trying. As KBJ is saying, we SP3 users don't have this kind of luxury. So it'd be a very useful tool if we can call it without much effort. I was thinking of calling it like this (even if these aren't possible, hopefully you can get some ideas that can be put into practice):

1. In Metro OneNote there is this little pen icon on the top right corner. It's there all the time, and sometimes get in the way. But when you tap on the icon, it expands into a radial menu.

2. If by default the menu is called with a KB sequence, I guess we can create a button on the toolbar, and call that sequence. Where would the radial menu pop on the screen if we do it that way? I guess this way we can use lblb's toolbar and your Radial menu. Do you know if there would be any conflict by the 2 running concurrently? I guess, you would say, "Why use that toolbar, when you can use mine?" There are some goodies there like the Presets and SP3's pen BT button remap, volume and start button remaps. Cool cause I can use the volume buttons for modifier keys while the pen is down...

3. So no action with pen possible? Sorry, but this is, at least to me, a bit difficult to comprehend. So, no right click and 2 taps on the screen with pen, 3 fingers on screen at the same time, tap with 2 fingers and holding them down...

4. Some icon on the task bar while script is running that will call the radial menu when pressing it, and hide it when pressing the button again. Then again, I usually keep my task bar on auto hide...

I haven't used your recent releases. I remember using one of your first betas on the other thread, and I difficulties un installing it and had to user CCleaner to do some clean up. Is there a procedure for uninstalling?

I'll give this a try when I get a chance (hopefully tonight) and leave some lunch money in the Donate section.

Swiped from my Galaxy Note 8 using Tapatalk

8. incrediclint

1.) The toolbar in RadialMenu can now be collapsed down to a single button that shows/hides RadialMenu and RadialMenu appears centered over that button.

2.) There should be no conflicts with RadialMenu and Toolbar Creator running side by side. Remaps is something I saw on the AHK forums as well and something I considered adding to RM at some point. Between RM and Toolbar Creator... everything is covered. I'm not familiar with the hardware buttons on the Surface, I know my Motion Computing LE1700 has a few hardware buttons and I wrote an application that allows me to remap those as well as adding per-application profiles for them, it might be usable for other tablets too but I'm not sure.

3.) Windows has a built in function for global hotkeys, just the same as pressing F1 in windows brings up a help dialog. These hotkeys are for keyboard events only though. Windows also allows developers to use keyboard and mouse hooks that allow us to read input from those 2 devices without having a window on screen of our own, this is how I am accessing the mouse events to show/hide radial menu. When an application doesn't have a window displayed on screen it can receive no messages at all except for a few system events and keyboard/mouse events via the hooks. There is no way to hook into touch input or pen input globally. Both require an active, visible window and even then only that window receives them.

I have however been able to read raw input. This will allow me to do something along the lines of what we're trying to accomplish, I'm not sure yet how close we'll get to the goal but I'm working on it now. It may require those with a Surface to do some testing and collect some data for me to use to get it implemented specifically for Surface tablets.

There have been quite a few improvements in the past week. The trouble uninstalling RM, what kind of problems did you have? As far as I'm aware the only thing left behind after uninstalling is your settings/profiles located in the user/appdata folder. RadialMenu is actually portable other then the settings file, it can be copied/moved and launched from anywhere... it'll still store it's settings in the same place in users/appdata though.

Lastly, the keypress events I added have all the extra keyboard functions such as media play/stop/rewind, volume, etc.. pretty much any special key that a keyboard -might- have can be used as an action for a button, not all of them have been tested yet though.

9. Kumabjorn

Any help you need! Any at all.

Sent from my SC-01F using Tapatalk

10. BorisTBear

BorisTBear Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello!

I have used Version 0.2.2.78 on my Samsung Ativ Tab 3 without any error - perfect alternative for the wacom menu.
    Now, I tried to install the "normal" release of 0.2.3.83 and 0.2.4.94. After the installations are finished, the start of RadialMenu causes an AppCrash (see below)..

The "special"-x86-release of 0.2.4.94 starts without any error but the right click functionality of the center button is not working. How in earlier releases any click will close the Menu.
    Also the mousefollowing Menu seems now permanently to be deactivated and there is no Symbol in the taskbar anymore.

Just my two cents in incorrect english ;)

Boris

Problemsignatur:

Problemereignisname: APPCRASH
    Anwendungsname: RadialMenu.exe
    Anwendungsversion: 0.2.4.94
    Anwendungszeitstempel: 544aa5be
    Fehlermodulname: KERNELBASE.dll
    Fehlermodulversion: 6.3.9600.17278
    Fehlermodulzeitstempel: 53eeb4c3
    Ausnahmecode: e0434352
    Ausnahmeoffset: 0000f896
    Betriebsystemversion: 6.3.9600.2.0.0.768.101