R25 in my hands...

Discussion in 'Toshiba' started by jeffreycentex, Jul 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. annalina614

annalina614 Pen Pal - Newbie

HI guys! I'm trying to buy my first tablet and I'm wondering if this is a good one...
    I'm a student and my expectations aren't too high but i really like the RAM and resolution of the screen. I heard that the higher the resolution the better the handwriting recognition. I mainly want to take notes in class (Engineering classes = lots of power point presentations), surf the web, write documents, play movies, and edit photos.
    I'm a little weary of the computer because there aren't any reviews out yet.
    Do you think this is a good buy?
    Thanks!!

2. SkiBunny

SkiBunny Pen Pal - Newbie

I think you'll save $100 on this at amazon.

3. SkiBunny

SkiBunny Pen Pal - Newbie

Can't comment on the quality but... core duo, high res screen, 1 gig ram, super multi optical, tablet for $1200 at amazon?
    Yes a fine buy!

Amazing compared to what you got and paid last Xmas.

Of course, if you wait til next Xmas, you will get a much better buy than this one (eg. Intel Conroe machines for probably less money than core duo machines today). But we'll never buy if we always look at the better thing on the horizon (as there's always something better later)

4. NiVeDh

NiVeDh Pen Pal - Newbie

Amazon doesn't have it in stock I think. It says "Pre-order this item today". Any idea when they'll get it?

EDIT: Never mind... "Estimated ship date for this item: September 18, 2006"...

5. jeffreycentex

jeffreycentex Pen Pal - Newbie

Compusa has them for shipping, but not in the stores at $50 more (note the mail -in rebate).

Also note that the mail-in rebate (or choice of power supply or floppy/cable lock) @ Compusa is Toshiba's, not CUSA's, so it may work with ones bought at Circuit City.

Once I bumped the machine up to 1.5 GB, everything screams... I won't let anyone else touch my baby!

FWIW, I use the R25 in my capacity as a Civil Engineer - working on AutoCAD designs in the office, running hydraulic/hydrologic modelling software, field reports, etc and it works well for my needs.

6. NiVeDh

NiVeDh Pen Pal - Newbie

Just ordered from CC, I'll go pick it up in an hour or so.

It came with a free Lexmark all-in-one printer.

How did you upgrade yours to 1.5GB? Did it come with 1 1GB SO-DIMM or did you take out a 512MB SO-DIMM and add another GB?

I'm going into Nuclear Engineering this fall at Georgia Tech, I hope this serves me well. :D

7. gimpy

gimpy Pen Pal - Newbie

How is the sound/picture quality? I use my computer for mainly school and media, is it a good media notebook?

8. NiVeDh

NiVeDh Pen Pal - Newbie

Video quality is great. Built-in sound sucks but it is OK w/ headphones. Mic sucks.

9. jeffreycentex

jeffreycentex Pen Pal - Newbie

Mic is better than the R15 or the Gateway 2618.... But not better than the M200...

10. Mahlon

Mahlon Pen Pal - Newbie

Is the screen in the R25 the same screen as the Tecra M7. I know they are the same size and the same resolution, but are they the same screen?

And Jeffrey, did the slight cursor drag go away when you removed the Toshiba Power Utility? Or is it still a bit draggy?
    I was looking into the M7, but at almost $700 more ('cause I'd add a few things to the M7), and if the R25 is doing pretty good, I don't see why not. Plus, in Tennessee tomorrow, we have a 'tax free' day where there won't be our usual 9.25 percent sales tax. So that would save me 'bout a $100 bucks or so....

man, it's hard to by a tablet. I never thought I would be as confused our picky.

Thanks,
    Mahlon

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.