R20 or M7?

Discussion in 'Toshiba' started by g2tl, Dec 24, 2006.

1. revaaron

revaaron Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm trying to decide on a tablet. I need to get at least a D2C T7200, 100GB 7200rpm, 2GB 667Mhz RAM. I'm using this as my main machine and photo-editing (especially on the road). I tested these specs out already and they will process in 3.8minutes what my dell 700m will process in 12minutes.

I'm looking and the only different between the R20 and the M7 is $600 and the video card. I wanted the 128MB card cause I'll be pushing 1900x1200 to a dell 24" monitor when I'm at home and I need to be able to edit pictures on that. right now, both of my laptop can't handle the monitor. if I try to use my photo-editing lappy, no jpgs or java runs on the 1900x1200 screen.
    my work lappy does it, but the screen jitters.

I configured both of these machines:

$1,956.29
    Satellite R20 Tablet PC - Toshiba Laptop PSR20UTC5TN8

> Average build time for customized orders is 8-10 business days. Order by December 12th for Holiday delivery.
    > Add Accessories > View Product Specs
    CPU: Intel® Core™2 Duo* Processor T7200 (2.00GHz, 4MB L2 Cache, 667MHz FSB)
    Operating System: Genuine Windows® XP Tablet Edition 2005
    Memory: 2048MB PC5300 DDR2 667MHz SDRAM (1024MBx2)
    LCD: 14.1" Diagonal WXGA+ Display* (1440 x 900) with High Brightness and Wide View Angle
    Graphics Controller: Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 950 with 8MB-128MB dynamically allocated shared graphics memory
    HDD: 100GB HDD (7200rpm, Serial-ATA)
    Optical Media: DVD SuperMulti (+/-R double layer) drive
    Bluetooth: Bluetooth (v.2.0) + EDR
    Expansion Bay: Toshiba Tablet PC Reserve Pen
    Standard Warranty: 1 Year Standard Limited Warranty

$2,569.00
    Tecra M7-ST4013 Tablet PC - Toshiba Laptop PTM71UTC5N3K

> Average build time for customized orders is 8-10 business days. Order by December 12th for Holiday delivery.
    > Add Accessories > View Product Specs
    CPU: Intel® Core™2 Duo* Processor T7200 (2.0GHz, 4MB L2 Cache, 667MHz FSB)
    Operating System: Genuine Windows® XP Tablet Edition 2005
    Memory: 2048MB PC5300 DDR2 667MHz SDRAM (1024MBx2)
    LCD: 14.1" Diagonal WXGA+ Display (1440 x 900) with High Brightness and Wide View Angle
    Graphics Controller: NVIDIA® Quadro® NVS 110M with TurboCache™ and 128MB of dedicated graphics memory
    HDD: 100GB HDD (7200rpm, Serial-ATA)
    Optical Media: DVD SuperMulti (+/-R double layer) drive
    Mini-PCI/WiFi: Intel® PRO/Wireless 3945ABG (802.11a/b/g)
    Bluetooth: Bluetooth Version 2.0 + EDR
    Standard Warranty: 3 Years Standard Limited Warranty

2. SimsHsia

SimsHsia "I will do science to it" Senior Member

Hi revaaron,

This is a bit out of your subject, but will contribute to your decision on whether or not to get a unit with an integrated graphics chipset (Intel GMA950) or a dedicated graphics card (nVidia). Just the other day, I saw a video review of the Fujitsu ST5112 with an Intel GMA950 Graphics chipset being able to utilize a Dell 24" Widescreen at 1900x1200. While seeing this video review, I did not see any jittering on the external display.

On the Intel website detailing the Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950 (GMA950) it states, "Up to 2048x1536 resolution for both analog and digital displays ... at 75 Hz maximum resolution".

However, if you wish to try it out upfront, you can do a 48 hour demo, courtesy of Allegiance Technology Partners, to test the Toshiba M7 - however the test model is only a Core Duo. You just have to pay shipping and handling. The R20/R25, however, is not up for demo, but the M400 is almost similar, having an Intel GMA950.

Or, I'll give it to actual M7/R20 users and/or other users in the community who may have a Dell 24" LCD display as well to report their findings to you. :)

3. Barry J. Doyle

Barry J. Doyle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The Tecra product line is aimed at the business market while the Satellite is more or less a "consumer grade" machine. That said I don't think the $600 difference is warranted, however the dedicated graphics might just be the extra edge you need for the type of work your will be doing - especially on an external monitor.

4. revaaron

yeah, that seems to be the question now.
    I have a 700m that I just got working again (LCD inverter blew).
    but my GF got a 1705 dell and it's awesome... over 4x faster.
    so I want the same specs, but in a tablet (since I'm doing a lot more dodging and burning tool work than she is).

to $600 or not to $600. that is the question! this laptop has to last me at least 3 years.

the comparable gateway is $1605, but I heard their pen works horrible and always needs to have it re-calibrated. I called up toshiba direct and they basically laughed at me when I was mentioning the price of the M7 being too much. she said to go with the satellite and it was the same exact thing minus the video card.

5. revaaron

I still don't know...
    I don't know if I should just buy the tablet with 512MB RAM and then buy 2x1GB of 667 RAM or what!

6. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

It will be a lot cheaper to purchase the RAM separately from an independent.

7. WEBSRFRINMD

WEBSRFRINMD M200, M7

Same goes for the hard drive!

8. revaaron

can you link me to a 100GB 7200rpm SATA drive that will work in here?
    and the memory?

9. revaaron

looking online, if I buy the memory/hd from them it's $2569 total.
    if I buy the memory/hd separate, it's $2363.
    so.. there's a $200 saving...

but what about the warranty?

10. gimpy

gimpy Pen Pal - Newbie

don't get the extended warranty, it's not worth it.