R1F - thumbs up? or down?

Discussion in 'Asus' started by elandra, Nov 11, 2006.

1. horsefly81

horsefly81 Pen Pal - Newbie

Sweeeeeeeeeet! Thanks everybody, that's exactly the kind of info I was looking for. Next, does anybody know: If I am in the states and order an Aussie R1, and then hardware goes bad within warranty, where can I get it worked on in the states? California(where the Asus international location is?) or do I have to ship it back to the Aussie reseller? I looked on the Asus site and didn't see the answer to this. Thanks again! Looking forward to getting an R1!

2. techaholic

techaholic Pen Pal - Newbie

Three thumbs up :), really nice tablet. Vista 64 rocks, as said runs better than XP. Really good to write on, feels just like an ink pen. Super fast performance. They even partition the drive so all I did was put the Vista DVD in and zoom you have a dual boot tablet, XP & Vista. Love the DVD drive with it's car like DVD mount, no pop out tray here, plus the ability to swap it out for an additional Sata 2.5" drive Rocks baby....

3. Loaf.

Loaf. Scribbler - Standard Member

here in the US, the warranty is a 2 year GLOBAL warranty. i'm guessing this warranty is the same for all other countries and if so then i think all you'd have to do is ship it to the nearest asus location, which for the US would be in cali.

4. macuis

macuis Pen Pal - Newbie

So far the only negatives I have are: headphone static; slight screen rippling; slight upper left keyboard flex; slow log on screen start up;and minute stylus scratching. Other than that, once I have everything up and running, everything is quick and responsive. One of the best tablets ever.

5. saranya

saranya Pen Pal - Newbie

the only thing that is fixable is the slow log on. either you're using the default install of asus or you just have a lot of stuff loaded onto your computer, although the 5400rpm drive affects that a little.

wait til you try vista, mine boots in under 30 secs.

6. mthode

mthode Pen Pal - Newbie

It that boot time to the login screen or to the desktop?

7. cecirdr

cecirdr Scribbler - Standard Member

Two thumbs up from me. Despite the static on the headphone port, it's a keeper. Eventually, I'll send it in to get fixed (when Asus comes up with a concrete answer about how to repair it). Until then, I'm happily using the computer. There's just too many positives to let that one issue drag me down. It'll get fixed eventually.

8. elandra

elandra Pen Pal - Newbie

Here is a little example of the inking. I think it looks better on the R1F than the video clip shows but the compression seems to have made it a bit fuzzy.
    First time tablet user and first time experimenting with Camtasia Studio.
    Hope it helps
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gp91X3G3M-s

Elaine

9. horsefly81

horsefly81 Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks elandra - but how the heck is that a real video without them showing the stylus actually doing the writing? I'm confused, but thanks for the video!

10. elandra

elandra Pen Pal - Newbie

Your welcome:)
    I don't have the equipment to make the video you are suggesting. Would need a zoom to be able to see the stylus writing on the screen.
    I still give my thumbs up to this tablet.
    Elaine