R1F - thumbs up? or down?

Discussion in 'Asus' started by elandra, Nov 11, 2006.

1. horsefly81

horsefly81 Pen Pal - Newbie

Would a few people respond as their overall impression of the R1F. I am a grad student and have been waiting for a L-O-N-G time to hear "reviews" of this tablet. Any help would be great.
    By the way, could some philanthropic individual post a picture of the inking capabality of this puppy (as in some writing or something?)

Thanks a lot!

2. eva04

eva04 Scribbler - Standard Member

Although the R1F does have problems such as audio static and silo scratches, i would not settle for another tablet! Overall, I give it the thumbs up. Though, the static really is a problem, perhaps you should wait a bit until Asus figure out the problem.

By the way, theres plenty of reviews around on the forums by certain individuals.

Cheers,
    Will

3. saranya

saranya Pen Pal - Newbie

Also an mba student and I'll say thumbs up also. Other than the 2 main problems that have been discussed (static, silo)...there is nothing I can think of that I'm not satisfied with.

build quality is good, weight is good (light enough that I can carry it with a one handed grip), screen is good for a tablet (angle when looking down on the lcd could be a little better...this has an effect when in tablet mode...I had a classmate remark it was hard for her to see when she was next to me)

Add on Vista and this thing is a blessing. If you've had the professor's who make you print out 30+pages in lecture power point slides...NO MORE. you scribble and write whatever on them on the tablet.

4. mattj

mattj Scribbler - Standard Member

Thumbs up. Will give a full review this weekend. Once i've recovered. Just got back from a crazy road trip with a bunch of friends. Got to teast out nearly every aspect of this lil fella including drawing in car and drawing while drunk lol.

It's a long awaited bedtime for me now tho.

But i will say this now. Thumbs totally up!

Jobbo

5. eva04

What's the compatibility like on vista? what do you lose? i know it's a resource hog but what can you do. Which tablet functions do you lose? im assuming you can still write with the stylus? I read somewhere on this forum that buttons dont work or something? finger print reader? forgot... I'd be nice if u could write a lil review hehe

Cheers,
    Will

6. noskill

noskill Pen Pal - Newbie

Well, ASUS just announced that R1F is WHQL certified for Vista. Which means almost everything works right out of the box.

As for features, Vista has built-in handwrite recognition and built-in screen rotate features.

So you're losing nothing, but gaining a lot instead ;)

7. woutervegter

woutervegter Pen Pal - Newbie

8. eva04

Wow thankyou, i'll look into getting vista then =)

9. alphaswift

alphaswift Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Thumbs up. The only problem is the static -- for now I'm carrying my Ipod with me.

10. saranya

saranya Pen Pal - Newbie

With Vista, you lose nothing as far as any hardware issues (well, sometimes buttons don't work but I don't use them often so it's a non issue for me. Benefits outweigh the cons...and I'm using beta drivers as far as the asus control panel). I find it runs a lot smoother than with Winxp. And as said earlier, it has all the tablet functionality built in already plus some.

the sound drivers are kind of buggy in that sometimes it will get louder than what has been set for the volume.

I do recommend 2 gig's of ram though.