R1F thoughts after nearly 2 years use

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Grinner, Oct 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. weinilourson

weinilourson Pen Pal - Newbie

It's nearly been 2 years since my R1F purchase. Well... I love and hate it at times. I bring it around with me all the time, and I use it as my primary computer now. I have to admit that I use it extensively, and I do attach lots of peripherals to it. I just thought that I might report some problems, so that potential buyers might see if they can live with it.

1. The battery. I've bought a new batter, as well as the modular battery. I used to be able to use it, now I leave the battery at home, and bring my power cord with me to work instead. With the battery running, everything becomes REALLY slow (I'm using XP). So slow, that it becomes unusable.

2. Overheating. I've installed NHC hardware control, and everyday, it tells me that my CPU is over 80 degrees celcius. The laptop gets really really hot. It's better after I've removed the battery, and solely use the power cord.

3. Speakers. Everything sounds like they are from really far away. I have mine plugged to a pair of external speakers with an amplifier.

Otherwise, the R1F is a reliable machine. For me, the battery issue is a big problem. It just defeats the purpose of getting a laptop in the first place.

I might just have to re-format my laptop to get it running properly again.

weini

2. alphaswift

alphaswift Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Interesting thoughts. I got my R1F in October 2006 and I've been pretty happy with it.

I have a new battery and a modular battery and it lasts as long as I need it to, which is about 4 hours. I run the screen at fulll brightness, but CPU at only 25%. I'm typically just in meetings using OneNote, so CPU is not very necessary.

I've used a couple of external sound cards to address the static issue and settled on a Creative X Mod and I'm pretty happy with it. I recently picked up an IPhone, so I doubt I'll be using the XMod too much anymore. The speakers on the R1F are weak, but I think it's crazy to expect too much from any laptop speaker.

What I hate are the surface scratches on the lid. The lid can't take much punishment so it's looking a little chewed up. I carry the tablet in a bag and am pretty careful with it, so I don't understand the number of scratches that have been showing up.

I have 3GB RAM supporting Vista Business. I've also swapped out the HD for something a bit faster. Making these upgrades went very smoothly and have not caused any issues.

My system has been very stable with no crashes. It's too bad Asus has not been more proactive with driver updates, but certainly you can find all the necessary drivers at the manufacturers sites easily enough.

I'll be hanging on to this thing until the quad core laptops come out. I'm in no rush. I'd have to say that there's been nothing in the tablet market released lately that makes me want to upgrade any time soon. An Apple tablet would be interesting, but I hope they include solid support for pen use and not just touch.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  3. jdwilson

jdwilson Scribbler - Standard Member

Another veteran user here . . . I agree with the comments above, except that the battery replacement has made a big difference for me. I'm on Vista, upgraded RAM and HD, and this is now a great machine. Still have a hard spot in my heart for the lousy customer relations by Asus when all the battery, etc. problems developed. Even their resellers who post to this forum were apologists for Asus. The overheating issue is real, and I feel it has gotten worse, but it is tolerable. I will probably go at least another couple of years on this machine. I'm very unlikely to be a repeat Asus customer again but we'll see what's on the market . . .

4. Grinner

Grinner Pen Pal - Newbie

I've also had mine since October 2006 and I have absolutely no overheating issues. The only times it runs up to 75C (max. so far) is when I do stuff like video encoding on both cores. During normal use it always stays below 52C. Maybe you should clean the airvent?
    Annoying to me is the fact, that the laptop occasionally only drives the CPU at 1GHZ, even when it's on the power cord and the Batteryusage is set to High performance. Only multiple reboots or standby sessions do the trick. Very weird.

Otherwise a pretty good machine, although I only get about 4 hours with both batteries and mediocre screen brightness. I'd like more :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.