R1F Stylus Pen

Discussion in 'Asus' started by PROPortable, Oct 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. supernova

supernova Pen Pal - Newbie

The stylus is now on sale individually here in Australia. AUD$49.

Good to know they're easily available and affordable.

Since mine got scratched I've been trying to investigate cause... I do feel rough edges where the slot is, so I might try file it out a bit. It might just be my notebook, be interesting to see if others experience the same thing...

2. sxm

sxm Pen Pal - Newbie

i also would like to know if the problem is on all r1f's

can you provide a link to the pen, if it was online?

3. eva04

eva04 Scribbler - Standard Member

Nope i have one too. the silo is made of ridged aluminum framing... Poor design i reckon. Anyhow, how about a link to the stylus pen if you have one. cheers.

4. Tsukiyomi

Tsukiyomi Scribbler - Standard Member

If it's really that bad with the scratching, I wonder how they missed it during testing. Perhaps they missed a plastic casing for that part of the machine? (dunno, just throwing an idea out there) Then again, its less plausible because more than one user on these boards has reported it..

5. supernova

supernova Pen Pal - Newbie

6. PROPortable

PROPortable Scribbler - Standard Member

I don't know if we're looking at the same thing ones, but the one I was playing with yesterday on the production models is as nice as a tablet stylus can get..... and it's size is standardized, so if you lost it, I really don't think you need to get another one from Asus. In fact, the packaging it comes in is just like every other tablet pc and wacom drawing tablet I've ever seen.

7. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Now thats reassuring to hear.

Why manufacturers can not apopt a simplified policy is beyond belief.

Mind you, the tablet market is not isolated in this... the PDA market is even worse but at least their pens are simply just different sized bits of plastic and metal!

8. Tsukiyomi

Tsukiyomi Scribbler - Standard Member

The obvious answer is that it will make them more money to sell us replacement pens. The other question is that with the first few tablets I had, compared to the Cintiq and Intuos pens I have felt a lot lighter, and more flimsy in construction. Seeing as they all use the same Wacom technology, why not use the same pen as the Intuos, if not the Cintiq? It saves the companies money from not producing their own pen, it gives us a better quality pen, and it gives Wacom an output for their pens.

9. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I concur.... Freeing manufacturers from design and construction but instead adopting a unified design.
    Yes it would fuel Wacom's pockets but I would rather this be the objective rather than having to source differing pens for differing tablets.

As is such the case now where I am in dire need for a replacement pen.

Oh and to make matters worse, Wacom do not directly ship their pens to the public outside of the US area.
    Not much fun for the UK or Europe.
    I instead have to go to a reseller and be charged an extortionate price!

10. PROPortable

PROPortable Scribbler - Standard Member

I know that Asus isn't depending on accessory sales like some companies do.... sometimes Asus even hates just having to carry little items like that which have a huge markup - even though they're the ones making the money on them.....

With the tablets, there's more room for a full sized standard.... with pocket pcs, the pens need to be based on the size available in the chassis of the unit to hold them... so they differ model to model and certainly brand to brand. Asus usually sells 3 packs of stylus' for the pocket pcs for $10-15 --- where HP would sell them for $40-50...... I'm not sure if they'll have extra stylus' for the tablets available, but I'm sure it'll be a decent price.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.