R1F specs dilemma...

Discussion in 'Asus' started by PROPortable, Oct 3, 2006.

1. unclesam

unclesam Pen Pal - Newbie

hi everyone

i'm facing the following 2 dilemmas

1-rif 1.66g core 2 duo+ 100g 5200 vs. 1.83g core 2 duo + 100g 7200

2-r1f afterall or portege m400?...

thank u all asus fans...;)

2. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Regardless of configuration, totally forget the Tosh and go with the ASUS.

3. unclesam

thanks a lot p8rson

i will take the word of a super moderator and pursue the r1f(...as already content with W2...);...however have u got any hands on experience or is it merely intuition?....thanx

4. PROPortable

PROPortable Scribbler - Standard Member

Well Asus in general has been very good and their high end models and mainstream models are still better than anything toshibia has ever put out..... so that makes picking any asus a safe bet over a toshiba.

5. unclesam

Thanks Justin...that's really reassuring...by the way u don't ship to europe, do u...tried your site but got a drop down menu with america only on check out...anyway, what ur expert opinion would be on my dilemma...1.66g 2 duo + 100g 7200 or 1.83 2 duo +100g 5400...(think ram is customizable up to 2g in both cases...)...should i get european or american version in other words...the top notch one from the aussies is only distributed nationwide... :cool:
    Kent, UK

6. essjae

essjae Pen Pal - Newbie

Don't buy Toshiba! I did, my M400 is in the repair depot and has been there since 9/11. Second time in for repair.
    Customer Relations regularly disconnects calls from their queue.

7. unclesam

Thanks essjae for input...sorry for your mishap with toshiba...know how it feels...see the bright side tho...there is always one to a downside...;)

8. PROPortable

PROPortable Scribbler - Standard Member

The site is only for credit card orders and we can only accept domestic cards. We've been shipping to Canada and Europe since we started and since demand in Europe has been going on for many more years than it has here, our international business has always been big. We simply deal with international orders over the phone and email and payments are usually made with bank transfers, although some prefer certified checks, money orders and western union.

Also, we only offer FedEx shipping for our domestic customers. For international, we offer FedEx, but because they're very expensive, most prefer USPS Global Express, insured.

So, yeah, we ship to Europe.

Well, the CPU really isn't THAT important, especially when you're talking 1.6 to 1.8ghz... The hard drive is another story, but it's something I've always suggested be added later or bought at the same time, but never really just "swapped"....... it's really best to keep Asus' warranty...... 7200rpm is nice, but only if you really use it. If you don't, it's just a battery drain and will create more heat and a bit more noise. However, if you are into big read and writes (like photoshop files of 300mb or more at a time), then you'll see the difference and could make use of it. If not, 5400 is certainly good enough for a tablet. In terms of more space, you could always use the modular bay. Either buy another drive and use the stock in that bay for extra storage or back ups... or get an external holder for it.

In terms of what I think would be nice in that unit..... it's up to you, obviously. I'm not a fan of putting 7200rpm drives in anything under 14" and I really don't even like 14".... 15 and 17" are fine because they're bigger and hae more room and usually aren't on battery power as much as the little ones. What most people don't understand is that a tyical tablet user actually makes more use of a tablet during the day than most would use a notebook. Most people don't just type for no reason, but people doodle when they get the chance...... So, battery life is important and what you need to do is make a good balance for yourself and decide what is right for you.

9. Fido

Fido Scribbler - Standard Member

The concern with the CPU isn't about clook speed. It is about the 2mb vs 4mb cache. I would like to know what kind of difference 2MB would make.

10. Loaf.

Loaf. Scribbler - Standard Member

obviously a bigger cache would be better, but the only one with the 4mb cache is the 2.0ghz and that'll probably drain a battery faster while creating a noticable amount of extra heat.