R1f small review from Poland ? disappointed

Discussion in 'Asus' started by ignacykrasicki, Feb 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The chap you spoke with was probably Nick. He is one of two guys there who are the ASUS specials.
    Nick normally answers all correspondance.

Keep us informed on the progress or if you need any further assistance :)

2. mrfettucini

mrfettucini Pen Pal - Newbie

Could you please tell me how you got the fingerprint reader to work for scrolling? I can't figure it out!

Thanks,
    Mike

3. ignacykrasicki

ignacykrasicki Pen Pal - Newbie

fingerprint reader for srolling: protector suite ql -> control center (menu start or swipe your finger) -> settingm ->user settings -> scrolling

I've reinstalled Windows using recovery cd. My only choice was the hd partitioning, after this no other options (I don't have asus probe:( ). i've chosen two partitions (one for Win and the other for Linux). installation took about 3hours (very long I think).
    After this I've installed Ubuntu Linux (about 15min :) ).

All problems are the same after reintallation.

Shortly about Linux (tommorow I'll try to write more in "Linux on R1f"):
    - firstly Ubuntu update ...
    - no sound, soundcard installed, I must do some research (google)
    - small problems with resolution - fixed,
    - BT mouse works fine, one .conf changed,
    - wacom, hmm, doesnt't work properly in higher resolution. I think I can fix it (someday, somehow:),
    - wi-fi works.

4. BornLoser

BornLoser Pen Pal - Newbie

Awesome...it's good to see someone posting about finally trying Linux out. Keep us posted. I'd love to see a really good write up come out of this.

5. Chiii!!!

Chiii!!! Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi, I had the same problem and disabling password asking when waking up solved the issue I think...

6. mthode

mthode Pen Pal - Newbie

Can you post the output of lspci and lsusb for me, I'd like to see if the tablet is usb so that I can forward it through XEN (a virtual machine) and windows through it.

7. mrfettucini

mrfettucini Pen Pal - Newbie

Very strange, I can't get it to work. I tried enabling a hot key to turn it on but no luck. Anyone have any ideas?

8. ignacykrasicki

Today is a bad day.

About scrolling. Firstly I tried scroll-lock as hot-key but it wasn't working. When I'm using Ctrl+s, it works and it's usefull.

My R1f decided not to use external power. Thinks that it can handle everything on battery :) . When I plugged AC adpater today nothing happened. Green led lights on adapter, but tablet doesn't charge.

I'm going to give it back to shop tommorow and mention also about tocuhpad, scrathed pen and static sounds.

9. ignacykrasicki

Hello again!

After 4 weeks I have my r1f back, finally. It had to go to Holland, because in Poland they weren't able to repair it. And because of that it took so long.
    Now I have bios ver 305.

Main malfunction, charging - repaired.
    Touchpad - perfect (before it sensitivity was awful)
    Pen bay likes scrathing pen, nothing has changed. But they said that I'm going to get a new pen for free in few weeks.
    While on batteries there aren't any static sounds, AC adapter - a little static.
    Brightness control works in tablet mode.
    Maybe static and brightness works because bios was updated, I don't know.
    I don't know what they've done, haven't received any notes about repair:( Nothing in warranty book.

Still going to standby while using only pen.

What's funny, I found some files in recycle bin: bios 305, atk driver, and... two pictures (attached below) :) I believe it was the process of testing my tablet :)

I'm going to continue making Linux (Ubuntu) usable (sound and tablet features).

Have you removed stickers below keyboard (specification,splendid,etc.)? Will there be glue left or something?

Attached Files:

10. Lazaruspl

Lazaruspl Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey Ignacy. I removed the stickers. You then use the sticker itself to "lift" off any residual glue. Worked fine.
    The issues you mentioned about not coming out of standby/hibernation was fixed in the 305 Bios. A big word of warning to all who upgrade - make sure you reset bios to manufacturer's defaults after upgrading, otherwise (at least in my case) you loose the USB root hub (meaning - no sound, no tablet, no fingerprint device, which are all USB devices). I also bought mine in Poland by the way from Komputronik. Very happy wiht my choice!
    LAz

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.