R1f small review from Poland ? disappointed

Discussion in 'Asus' started by ignacykrasicki, Feb 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ignacykrasicki

ignacykrasicki Pen Pal - Newbie

I've just received R1f ( t7200, 1GB ram, 100GB HD, 6cell battery) and I I'm going to share some observations and ask questions to another users.
    Last year I bought HP TC1100 and my point of view is biased by using that tablet.

First of all, touchpad isn't working properly. Control Panel -> Mouse -> device settings -> ... >sensitivity . If if put slider on light touch (leftmost) it is possible to use touchpad, but not comfortable. When it's one step right I need to use 'potion of strength' to make it work. I'm really looking forward your opinion (It's the first reason why I'm considering giving it back).

I've expected much more on viewing angles, horizontal is ok, but vertical – bad. TC1100 is much better, cannot compare these displays (friend has dell notebook with ultra-sharp lcd, also much better). I wish I could compare it to other tablets – m400 or tc4400.

Before buying I was laughing when i saw post about someone who's carrying stylus not in it's bay afraid of scratches. Now I deeply understand. I've inserted stylus only once there and it has two scratches. I doesn't think that warranty include this. In TC1100 stylus is nice, not so thin. It has strap so it is impossible to lose it, and it fits bay perfectly.

After hibernation LCD often (not always) starts only for hibernation bar progress. Then it goes off and I have to shutdown computer (maybe reinstall). It usually happens when it hibernates directly from standby.

If you're not using computer it goes sleep (standby), smart. But when I use only stylus (tablet mode) it also get into standby (annoying). There are only 3 buttons in tablet. TC1100 - i've used to Qmenu with everything I wanted combined with extremely usefull jog dial button.

Fingerprint reader isn't necessary for me as a security device, but nice for scrolling and app launching (like journal).

When in tablet mode I cannot change brightness: hot keys are hidden and PowerGear software forgets to adjust brightness (looks like bug).

I found on many sites 1,9kg weight, exciting - it's for 3cell battery and empty multi bay. My version (6cell, dvd-RW) weights 2,3kg.

Now I'm going to reinstall Windows (hope some problems will dissapear) and install Linux (Ubuntu). If anyone's interested I can write something about it later

I'm awaiting commets and your opinions.

2. alphaswift

alphaswift Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Must be nice to have a T7200 chip. My system is working perfectly, so maybe we can trade if you are not happy with yours ;)

Touchpad: I'm not having problems with mine. That said, I rarely use mine. I hate the touchpad as an input device and only use it in an emergency. I use the BT mouse that came with it or my trusty Logitech 610 ( why oh why won't they make a BT version of that mouse! ).

At the end of the day, the sensitivity thing would be driver related. I haven't done it myself, but try hitting the Synaptic web site and see if there's a different driver to try.

Vertical: I've actually never heard of anyone complaining about that before. You're right though -- you can see the screen better from side-to-side than top-bottom. Not a big deal for me though....are you in a low-gravity environment? :)

3 buttons: I agree with you that when in tablet mode, the button selection is not good. I did have to play with the Power4Gear settings s bit and I still don't have it right. Also -- there does seem to be a bug with the screen settings in Power4gear application. It does go dim when not expected. I am going to try NHC and see if that works better.

Hibernation: I don't have that problem...but I did do a reinstall. I do have MSDN so I downloaded the base XPT and I find it does run more smoothly, without the junk of the factory config.

If you just got the system, I'd work through the tweaking a new system typically demands....and let us know how the Linux install goes.

Good luck!

3. MilestonePC.com

MilestonePC.com Scribbler - Standard Member

Thank you for posting your opinions, i would mostly agree with what alphaswift had to say.

1) touchpad responsiveness and sensativity is a problem with your Synaptic drivers in my opinion, consider reinstalling this driver BEFORE you reinstall Windows.

Your next question is why? Because try to fix the synaptic drivers before so that when you reinstall windows you can easily solve it and don't have same problem twice.

2) I have to agree with you about the viewing angles, however many ASUS don't have spectacular vertical viewing angles expect for v6va with the IPS screen. When in tablet mode I did not find any problem using and viewing the screen. I also would like better viewing angles for ASUS laptops in general.

3) The buttons in tablet mode, yes a Jog Dial would have been really nice and quick to change windows, however you will have to opt for the slower task manager and use your pointer.

4) When in tablet mode that's basically that's right you can't access the buttons where the keyboard is, however you are suppose to pick and chose your powermode when using it, but i definately understand where your coming from. You can change the powermodes and access some stuff through windows but it is a nuissance when you compare it to the availability of the buttons that are already there.

5) Standby/Hibernation/Tweaking - I personaly don't like Stanby or Hibernate, i would personaly disable both functions, but for others this is something they need. Hence before you reisntall windows, play around with these settings, try to get them to work to your likings, if you can, if you can't, then you know you have limitations.

As for weight discrepencies, Always take that with a grain of salt, i try to view multiple sites, multiple comments regarding the real weight of the system.

All give R1F another shot, now knowing and voiceing your opinion, if you absolutely don't like it or just thing its ok or absolutly great, we will not dislike you for your own valued opinion.

4. MilestonePC.com

MilestonePC.com Scribbler - Standard Member

I forgot to mention the Silo and pen issue, as many people have stated YES this is a problem, it will scratch no matter what.

I'm sure you've read some comments regarding how to deal with this problem.
    Just to reiterate, all you need to do to remove the scratches is rub on them, and with some water that will also help. Now when i see the scratches on the pen, i don't mind because i know i can remove them, so i just let the scratches occur and remove them later or when it is filled with scratches. LOL

Some are looking into another Stylus to use, and some are looking into carrying it somewhere else other than the silo, you basicaly have a choice on where you want to place your pen.

5. BornLoser

BornLoser Pen Pal - Newbie

Please let us know how this goes...I think you're the first R1F user, at least that I've heard of, that is going to attempt a linux distro. As an Ubuntu user myself, I am extremely interested in how this will go for you.

Keep us posted!

6. dustinin

dustinin Pen Pal - Newbie

Could you post some pictures about the viewing angle issue, how bad is bad?

7. eva04

eva04 Scribbler - Standard Member

*Points and Laughs* Aint payback a ***** =)

8. mikerogers

mikerogers Pen Pal - Newbie

My first post here although I have been lurking for a few weeks.
    I registered to express my experiences with the R1F. I live in the UK.

I had EU model but it has been RMA'd as I had an issue with it, which tallied with the OP (ignacykrasicki's post).
    Supply seems extremely limited here in the UK, and I am struggling to even get a date for a replacement at the moment. Seems like several weeks off is most likely.

Most crucially for me the touchpad was virtually inoperable. It required a lot of finger pressure, and I mean a lot, to get the cursor to move. Even then it wasn't entirely accurate as having to press down hard the whole time makes smooth movement difficult.
    I reinstalled the Synaptics software, then tried a newer driver, adjusted for max sensitivity and so forth.
    Removed it from device manager, checked the bios etc, etc reinstalled again.
    I gave up in the end and phoned Asus.
    Asus EU support said it was almost certainly a hardware issue as they had had similar issues before, they said.
    They didn't tell me whether those issues were with R1fs by the way.
    I don't generally like touchpads, and I won't use it much, but when I do use it I'd like it to work properly. On this basis I asked for a RMA with the reseller.

I know others have reported their opinions on the hinge but here is mine:
    There was a bit of side play in the hinge in notebook mode,
    This isn't a big problem but I did feel that the slip catch that releases the screen from notebook mode was a little loose and allows a bit of movement before the screen turns, when perhaps it shouldn't.

Also worth noting, for me, was that in tablet mode there is a certain amount of play in the locking mechanism/catch. It allows the screen to move up and down laterally on the left.
    I think this might be deliberate design but I'm not sure.

Other points of a lesser nature I noted were:

The viewing angle I didn't find too much of an issue. Screen seems generally very good to me.

Stylus issue not a biggie for me. Seems some folk are trying to figure out a way of reducing the damage. I'll see what they come up with.

I had the same standby issue when using it in tablet mode. The screen would suddenly turn off. Could be a reinstall was needed to fix this.

Not having a key to adjust brightness is a bit of a pain. Software is the only way. Fiddly.

Powergear software seems to suffer the same bug as described previously, it forgets to adjust brightness.

I had problems with the wireless LAN and bluetooth turning itself off for no apparent reason. Annoying too. Maybe a reinstall will fix this too.

It is quite heavy but I can live with it.

Anyway, overall I liked the machine apart from the touchpad problem.
    The hinge and catch issues are a bit odd, but It doesn't bother me much.
    I'm certainly not worried about it breaking or anything.
    Most of the other points I mentioned I see more as niggling issues, and they may be resolved by a reinstall.
    It would be good if they are resolved however.

9. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Mike,
    First, welcome to TabletPCReview. I hope you will be happy amongst the members here and we look forward to hearing from the UK members.

I myself am in the UK and try to help out the guys on this side of the pond wherever possible.

All I ask is could you let us know where exactly you purchased your tablet from please.
    This helps in keeping a record of any problems which you come up against and we can build up a 'reputation list' of such suppliers.

Could you also keep us informed of any progress you have.

10. mikerogers

mikerogers Pen Pal - Newbie

The reseller is www.asusnotebooks.co.uk
    who seem to be actually a subsidiary company of Eworld Direct Ltd from Birmingham, according to their paperwork.
    Asus EU support say they know them and that they are ok, but obviously I don't know for sure.
    They have been reasonable about the problem so far.
    The notebook was un-opened and new when I received it, as far as I could tell, so I suppose this is a manufacturing and/or factory inspection error.
    They sent a courier to get it and return it to them, after me emailing them to describe the fault, and what action I took to try and remedy it.
    They said that they will probably class it as a DOA.(dead on arrival).
    They say they hope to have new stock at the end of this week.
    I'm not sure they will, as supply seems dry everywhere. I considered a refund (which they said they would do), and to try to get one from somewhere else, maybe pre-inspected as well, but no sellers have any.
    In fact I tried www.laptopsdirect.co.uk and they said they had none on their system, and they told me this was a good indication that there were none expected anywhere soon.
    I also spoke to Asus sales, and they said they would update my reseller with the latest shipping dates.
    However I reckon I'll be pretty lucky to get a replacement this week

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.