R1F: slow response on screen edges?

Discussion in 'Asus' started by PROPortable, Oct 21, 2006.

1. hobbyshop

hobbyshop Pen Pal - Newbie

just wondering if it is normal on tablets, or just the R1F.. or just MY R1F... or if no one has ever noticed this at all...

i've noticed that when writing on the edge of the screen (top and bottom), there is a lot more lag in the computer picking up pen strokes.. so if i was writing, the letters would be jumbled because it's like it can't keep up with the pen strokes.

i noticed it when i was trying to write in the margins in window's journal...

any thoughts?

2. Pyxus

Pyxus Pen Pal - Newbie

Same observation here: both on R1F and on TC1100 --- So it's probably related to the Wacom technology.

3. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Yes... this has been noted by a couple of members for the Fujitsu T4210 as well.

Although, I myself can not produce this anomaly....

I had it down to the screen being the possible culprit but what you say about it may be Wacom, now that would make an interesting observation.

I would like to open this question out to other tablet makes (providing they are reading the ASUS section that is).

4. mattj

mattj Scribbler - Standard Member

same thing happens when u try to write in the margins or near the edge on real pen n paper, cause ur hand has no room to rest properly.

Maybe Wacom is trying to simulate this effect. lol

Just kidding. It's common to all tab pc's afaik.

Jobbo

5. eva04

eva04 Scribbler - Standard Member

Hi. You're not the only one with the slow response. I took it as being normal across all tablets.

6. alphaswift

alphaswift Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

hmm. I just pushed OneNote to the side of my screen and it seems to work just fine.

Secondary question....where's the Wacom driver information? Where can I update the driver ( or at least check for updates? )

7. okashira

okashira Scribbler - Standard Member

the new toshiba units supposivly don't have the problem.
    afaik, all tablets with the exception of the new toshiba's do it.

although, i have not read any reports on the x41, or the tc4400.
    just making an assumption

if your having the same problem i had on my t4210, no driver update will fix the problem.
    my unit did it on all four edges, and the lag zone was slightly wider along the left and right edges of the screen while it was in portrait, which was what made it most annoying.

8. Pyxus

Pyxus Pen Pal - Newbie

Could it be because they 'waste' one inch of black border around the screen edges ?

9. PROPortable

PROPortable Scribbler - Standard Member

All tablets I've used to date are like that, but after you use it a while, you typically stay away from the edges anyway... not because of that, but because it's more natural to center your hand towards the middle. I don't know what toshiba is doing, but it's all in the digitzer.... it's basically the size of the screen and with lcd's on laptops anyway, if the bezel covers the edge of the screen by 1/32" you'd be lucky... so they really maximize the screen..... the digitizer is the same size...... so it probably doesn't locate you as well on those outside edges.