R1F Secondary Battery & HDD

Discussion in 'Asus' started by P8RSON, Oct 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eva04

eva04 Scribbler - Standard Member

Hi everyone, just wondering whether there really is a secondary battery available for purchase. I'm referring to the one that goes into the modular bay, ie dvdrom. If so where can i get it? Asus are too vague in their description.

I don't know about you guys but i only got one 6 Cell battery with my package.

The empty bay that they provided has a connector on it, which im pretty certain is for the secondary HDD. Now i'm not too familiar with laptop parts as i am with desktops... From my understanding, laptop hdds vary in size (the one in my Dell is a lot bigger than the one in my brothers Asus W3.The particular one that the R1F takes is a SATA, correct? Depending on the price, I'm looking to buy a 120gig HDD for it. Can anyone advise me as to which specs i have to look out for? Can it just be a plain old SATA 2.5" HDD?

Any help would be appreciated!

Cheers,
    Will

2. sxm

sxm Pen Pal - Newbie

120gb can get pretty expensive.. check out newegg.. i doubt that they make 4200rpms for sata's but try the 5400rpm one. some people say that the 7200rpm will drain the battery faster, some say they dont, but the 5400 is good enough speed for the average user. other than that, get one w/ a respectable warranty. 3 or 5 yrs.. 5yrs being better of course. as for the size, i THINK that they come in 9.5mm and 13mm heights.

as for the modular battery, i dont think that they have one out yet.

if you DO get the additional hdd (2 hdds running), please post the specs and the battery life w/ a standard battery. thanks.

3. PROPortable

PROPortable Scribbler - Standard Member

The extra and second batteries aren't available yet... nor are the other accessories... They usually come in on the 3rd or 4th shipment of a model, typically no sooner than a month after release.

They used to just include a "travelers drawer" to limit weight, but that drawer was the same one use for the 2nd hard drive kit - minus the connector and screws. They decided to just put the kit in the package which was nice. That's an SATA connector on there, so you'll need an SATA drive and you can basically put any 2.5" SATA drive you want in there.

4. eva04

Hi,
    Thanks for the reply. I actually have a supplier already, just need to know which model to get. I'm thinking the WD 120 scorpio ve. Any comments?

5. soda97

soda97 Pen Pal - Newbie

Do you know how long extra is that secondary battery and how much weigh added?

Thanks in advance,
    soda

6. PROPortable

I personally wouldn't use a western digital in anything other than a desktop. For a notebook I'd suggest Seagate hands down.

The optical bay battery is as many cells as the main, so logic would put it as double the life... which is what is would give you.

7. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I'll second that on the Seagate hard drives.

Absolutely terrific in laptops/tablets.

8. PROPortable

... 5 year warranty - put that to the bottom of the list, but it's huge for some people... it does stand to their quality just because they're backing them up but I can atest to the fact that we've had less problems with Seagate than even Hitachi and Hitachi's are great, they just run a bit hotter.

... Better performance than Hitachi
    ... Best battery life vs power I've seen
    ... low noise
    ... low heat

Their 7200rpm drives are the only 7200rpm's I'd put in a notebook.. and their 5400rpm drives have the heat and battery life of a hitachi 4200rpm....

9. eva04

Yeah I used to be a big fan of Seagates too until one of the drives died and took the raid array with it. Lost a few hundred gigs of data that day =( Oh! note it happened twice! Well yeah, Western Digital have done it for me in terms of desktop HDDS.

So u guys are suggesting a HDD brand that i've now blacklisted. I really hope their laptop hdds differ greatly from their 3.5" versions. Anyway, do you have any proof to back that up? benchmarks, reviews or such?

Ah! What a dilemma...

Cheers,
    Will

10. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Fujitsu Siemens use them in their T4210 tabletpc.
    As in the Seagate ST96812AS.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.