R1F questions for all...

Discussion in 'Asus' started by BornLoser, Oct 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. biocmp

biocmp Pen Pal - Newbie

I am waiting right now for the release of the fuji t4215, and the ibm x60/61t, so while I am waiting, ASUS seems to become more and more appealing. But I do have a few questions, because I get nervous when dealing with a company that is entering a new market.

They have their things to improve,(pen, noise, screen wobble or so I've read) To all who have purchased are you happy with your decision? Does the pen track well?

Can you take the optical drive out and load it with a 'phantom' bay? I don't know the proper word for that, but basically a space filler to make it lighter while toting it to school?

Has anyone had any problems with failing systems? bios? I am scared to death to be in class taking notes and trying to clip some websites, and then, BAM! computer goes into panic mode and I have to send it off to get it fixed and then I am without at least my notes for the day if not more (depends on how often I back-up, which isn't as often as I'd like)

Ok, anyone who has anything to say to try and 'win' me over to asus, please feel free. I would love to by into the idea that this could be a great tablet, but with all of the problems so far and just a few have been ordered, it does make me nervous.

thanks, chris

2. cecirdr

cecirdr Scribbler - Standard Member

Despite what you're reading about the glitches with certain R1Fs, overall they're an awesome machine. I've had no problems whatsoever with anything else other than the pen scratches in the silo and the noise in the audio out port.

The screen is bright, the computer is fast and quiet. The pen tracks well and with the standard battery I get 3.5 hours of use at 50% brightness and wifi on. The media bay is modular. You can put in a dummy tray (comes with the tablet) or an extra battery for longer run time. The pen is slightly offset from where it's writing...most likely due to my changing the angle I'm holding the tablet and/or the thickness of the screen overlay. It's not a problem for me though.

It's an awesome machine that fills a niche where there's no other player at the moment...13 inch screen and a moderate resolution of 1280x800. Right now all other tablets are 12 inches and only 1024x768 or they're 14 inches and heavier (or don't come with an optical drive built in) So I don't regret buying one. Asus will figure out this noise and pen scratching thing. Once they get it down to a standard procedure for repair, I intend to send my unit in to get fixed.

If I hadn't already bought one though...I'd be inclined to wait a bit though.

Ceci

3. eva04

eva04 Scribbler - Standard Member

wow, well put buddy! I support what cecirdr says 100%. I'd also like to add that the screen wobbles is overexaggerated. If anything it wobbles less than a standard laptop. The hinge is pretty sturdy. However the rotating mechanism does get worn out fast which would be the cause of the wobbling when the lid is closed, but still not a serious concern.

4. alphaswift

alphaswift Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The pen scratching thing is overrated. I am holding a stylus in my hand right now ( well actually it's in my mouth as I type this ) and the scratches go away if you wipe at them with your finger. It's no big thing.

I still think the tablet is great and I currently have a broken optical drive on my R1F. How's that for love?

Additionally the wobble thing is a non-starter. It's no worse than any other regular laptop I have owned.

5. biocmp

biocmp Pen Pal - Newbie

So, if you had to do it all over again, when would your order an Asus? Now, or in 4-6 weeks to try and give them time to figure out what is up with the audio, etc?

I would like to order, but I will wait until I know for a fact that, at the very least, my audio works correctly.

I might just pull the trigger on an Asus. We will see. Are there any student discounts? I received a pretty nice student discount from tabletkiosk, which really won me over because they are concerned about students.

PS___ Can you take out the optical drive!!???

6. MilestonePC.com

MilestonePC.com Scribbler - Standard Member

Despite i am a reseller i'm sure you've read my review of the R1F, aside from that, these comments here are correct!

As for the Audio, I have concluded that, some people have this issue, hence they are isolated issues. For example, I didn't have any audio issues, but 2-3 here have had problems, but many haven't. If you do have problems either wait and deal with it for a while or just send it in right away for ASUS to fix it.

Student prices and student discounts, if they are given them, that's GREAT :D, go for it.

As for the "Hot Swap Modular Bay" meaning you can swap out the optical drive for a Hard drive and a Battery in the months to come. So yes you can Take out the optical drive, then insert the Hard Drive tray that already comes with packaging.
    Taking out the optical drive should bring your weight very close to 4lbs.

7. biocmp

biocmp Pen Pal - Newbie

You may have just won me over! That is very good news. Now, I am going to give them a call, or does someone know who I can call about student discounts and to place an order?

8. BornLoser

BornLoser Pen Pal - Newbie

Since this is a general R1F questions thread...Has anyone tried a linux build on the R1F yet? If so, what worked? what didn't?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.