R1F overheating

Discussion in 'Asus' started by weinilourson, Apr 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. weinilourson

weinilourson Pen Pal - Newbie

I've installed NHC hardware control to monitor my R1F's temperature. I've often had >80 degrees C warnings, and I'm used to ignoring them.

In the past 2 weeks, I've had >95 C warnings and I'm forced to shut down to let my laptop cool off. This happens when I use my laptop at maximum performance while surfing the internet, downloading a file and perhaps using office.

I don't think these are CPU intensive tasks, and I would expect the R1F to handle them (I don't game at all).

I now overcome the problem by tuning down the performance, and it has become cooler. I've also lifted my laptop off my desk with some notepads to allow better cooling.

Anyone have the same issues? Any other ideas to cool down the laptop other than underperforming?

Thanks!

weini

2. TabbedOut

TabbedOut Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

It could be a buildup of dust inside the case, especially round the fan/heatpipes. If you feel confident doing so you might try opening it up and blowing out what's built up in there.

3. alphaswift

alphaswift Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

qft.

I use a can of air every few months on the vent to clear out the dog hair and other stuff that gets in my vents. I never open my R1, though.

4. Kyle Porter

Kyle Porter Veteran Moderator Senior Member

Opening it up would help reach areas that a can of compressed air would sometimes miss. No laptop is impervious to dust buildup, just some are better at blocking it in the first place.

5. TabbedOut

TabbedOut Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

My personal opinion (so take it with a grain of salt) is that unless you are squirting compressed air into your laptop at least monthly, blowing air into the laptop is pointless. If there is only a very light coating inside the laptop then the air will easily blow the dust out past the fan and out the air vents. Once the dust starts to build up though, the compressed air just doesn't seem to do much more than push the dust back towards the fan. Since dust seems to coagulate, and since there really is no easy way for those large dust "clots" to get blown out without opening up the laptop they inevitably get blown back right back to the heat pipes by the laptop's fan.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.