R1F info

Discussion in 'Asus' started by nfwolfpryde, Aug 3, 2006.

1. nfwolfpryde

nfwolfpryde Scribbler - Standard Member

Called Asus again today. Now they're saying that they expect final specs for the R1F within the next couple weeks, and that it should be available for purchase towards the end of this month, maybe into the beginning of September.

I'm at a very precarious spot here guys. I want to get a tablet before the 23rd, when I start fall semester.

SO: Do I go for the heavier, but more powerful Gateway with the worse digitizer? Or do I wait for an undetermined amount of time for the less powerful Asus with the better digitizer? Also, Asus told me that the R1F is going to have integrated graphics. The Gateway has a dedicated chipset... what do I do?!

Has anybody played WoW on the Intel 950 chipset? Can somebody give me a general impression of how it runs? Thanks!

2. Barry J. Doyle

Barry J. Doyle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

You are rolling the dice no matter which direction you go. Although we are looking at the release of the Asus tablet with great optimism, there are no guarantees as to how great it will really turn out. Have you considered other models outside of the Gateway as an alternative?

3. PYROTAK

PYROTAK Scribbler - Standard Member

How about the display resolution??

as for the integrated graphics....son of a *****!

4. dukefan6842

dukefan6842 Pen Pal - Newbie

having seen/held an r1f this month, i can say that i wouldnt be too excited about it if i were you . build quality is ****, hinge is wobbly, and the latch was already broken on the demo unit i saw

5. Telo

Telo Pen Pal - Newbie

Skip them both and get an Acer c204. I've been VERY happy with mine so far.

6. nfwolfpryde

Well, I really wanted a Core Duo, so the c204 isn't something I'm interested in. But yes, I have considered laptops other than the Gateway and the Asus. The m400 or the R25 seem like a good idea, but I was really hoping for dedicated graphics. And, the Asus R1F seemed like a nice compromise on size, which is why I was (am?) so excited about it. We'll see when some good R25 reviews come out. The Fujitsu is an option too.

7. Loaf.

Loaf. Scribbler - Standard Member

did u consider the fujitsu t4210 or was the screen size too small? the integrated graphics from what i've read in the fujitsu forums from the 4210's experience with gaming can handle WoW decently. tho i dont play WoW so i couldnt really say what "decently" really means.

8. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Not that I doubted from the outset but indeed the T4210 has a fine way of handling graphics rather well.

You would be surprised just how well the integrated chips of today can handle an awful lot of processing power requirements.

9. nfwolfpryde

Yeah, I looked through the WoW forumns and the general consensis is that the GMA950 chipset just isn't powerful enough to handle the instances (big, huge boss battles). But, I might just have to decide that no gaming will be done on this machine and keep it utilitarian. I'll take a look again at the Fujitsu.