R1F for student

Discussion in 'Asus' started by LxMike, Apr 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LxMike

LxMike X61 Canadian Owner

Hi, I'm a studian going to college, and in my science program we need a laptop to take lab record (temperature, pressure) so on. I'm interest in Asus r1f (portability, big screen for ultraportable:D , fingerprint(?))and the gateway cx210(performance:D , cheap price:D :D ). I want to know how light exactly is the r1f, what's the battry life(real life experiance) . I do some 3D modeling in my free time. it the integrate gpu is able to handle Blender(the program i use). it's the 400$ extra worth of it , because with gate way, at 1200 I can get a cx210 with dedicated gpu and a bigger screen and 12cell battry.

PS:I don't really trust the gateway compagnie because i read somewhere the custumer service is bull****. and for my school program, I'll need to carry it everyday, since i'm planning to take notes with it.

2. scrambler

scrambler Scribbler - Standard Member

Given your need for 3D modeling, this is a bit of a complicated choice as the gateway dedicated gpu may be a definite advantage. On the other hand, in terms of portability, the Asus has the definite advantage, with 5.25 pound with the battery and DVD it is probably a good pound lighter than the gateway.
    The battery is another story in itself. The Asus battery starts at 3 to 3.5 hours, but right now many people are having early wear of it. On the other hand, you can have an additional battery using the modular bay, which then gives you 5+ hours.
    If the 3D modeling is your top requirement, I would try to install it on a regular laptop with the same CPU you would choose for your Asus tablet, and with the same Intel Graphics as the Asus. Many widely available OEM notebook share these specs (like HP, DELL...) so it should not be too hard to find one to do the experiment. If your 3D modeling program runs fine on the Intel Integrated Graphics, then the Asus is I think a better choice, but if it does not run fast enough on Integrated graphics, I would not be worried about Gateway, and feel fine going that route.

Hope it helps

3. LxMike

well the battry are ok, I belive there are plug at school, but i've tried to run the Blender program on my old pc wich have integrade graphic and it work(but it take 2 hours to render the model..)

but betwin the cx210 and r1f witch on is more well made, because I'm planning to use it at least 2 years before changing it , so I don't want the laptop broke after only 1 year like my ipod nano..

4. scrambler

scrambler Scribbler - Standard Member

The final rendering (not the real time display render) is not dependant on the graphic card, but on the Cpu and memory. So the recent core2 duo with 1 or 2gb of memory will make a huge difference compare to an old PC.
    If the software Interaction is fine on an old pc with integrated graphics, then there is a good chance that it will be even better on the R1F, as again a strong Cpu and a good amount of memory will help boost the integrated graphics performance. I would recommend taking 2Gb if you can and the best Core2 duo you can afford.

5. LxMike

ok thx man gonna orther it soon, but one last thing, is the 13.3'' screen too small to take note ? I checked an apple Macbook with 13,3 in display and it look really small...

6. Gennaro

Gennaro Pen Pal - Newbie

The screens on tablets are going to be small, but the ASUS screen size is just about the same size as an A4 peice of paper. If the size of paper is ok with you, I don't see how it will be a problem.

EDIT: The ASUS is also widescreen, the macbook probably wasn't.

7. SimsHsia

SimsHsia "I will do science to it" Senior Member

A 13.3" screen, the R1F has, is about the size of a A4 piece of paper (8.3" × 11.7"); which is a little bit less width-wise, and a bit more height-wise (-0.2" W, +0.7" H) than a regular Letter paper size (8.5" x 11").

8. The Niles

The Niles Scribbler - Standard Member

I placed an a4 piece of paper to my screen and the screen is smaller on all sides then the a4. I was a little shocked to see how much smaller it actually is. I'm okay about the size of the screen though. Plenty of room to make your notes.

9. BornLoser

BornLoser Pen Pal - Newbie

I have been taking notes in my physics courses with the R1F for three months now and have had no problems. My physics dept., on the other hand, has a contract with gateway and gets all their tablet PC's from there. Currently, all my professors use the M285-E for lecturing and it's hard to find one of them that doesn't a) hate the finepoint technology or b) have some other problem with the machine.

I've used them both for note taking (before I had the Asus, I used the Gateway for my research) and I'll tell you that as far as student use goes, the R1F beats the Gateway in every possible category. Portability, stylus use, everything....just better.

I would recommend updating all your drivers (of course) and making sure that the 'no picture after returning from stand-by' thing is resolved as that can be very irritating if it occurs in the classroom setting.

As far as 3D goes, I can't really help you since I haven't done any of it on the R1F. I do, however, use Flash and Photoshop extensively and haven't seen a hiccup on my R1f ( 2.0 Ghz C2D and 2MB RAM). I know this is an apples to oranges kind of thing comparing 2d apps to 3d, but I just thought I would add that.

in response to your last question about the size being too small, I wouldn't want the screen to be any bigger really. The 'about the size of a piece of paper' screen feels very natural to take notes on, especially in the classroom setting.

Hope this helps,
    BL

10. LxMike

1-you mean 2GB :D coz my old desktop got 64mb of ram :D

2-how we know if the screen is wide screen, because every laptop I've seen have a regtangular screen

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.