R1F FIRST REVIEW and US pricing!!!

Discussion in 'Asus' started by kda, Oct 12, 2006.

1. PROPortable

PROPortable Scribbler - Standard Member

Listen, the option to bring these "ensemble models" into the states as "barebones" was on the table early this summer.... That's the only real way to make customizing these units affordable and really a good idea... the only problem was the volume that needed to come and for something like this which is an unproven system (brand new design), it takes a lot to beleive in a product THAT much when you don't know how well it'll sell...... especially a tablet, whose market has been very limited from the get go.

2. sxm

sxm Pen Pal - Newbie

ok, here I go

this is my first post here, and im very interested in the asus r1f tablet pc.

Although there are other posts on the r1f, im posting it here, because im in the US and others might be asking the same things here in the US

What I would like to address and question here is the different configs throughout the world. (US-R1F-K018T vs UK-R1F-K009T vs AU-R1F-K010T)

As all us US people know, we get the lowest config avalible, while the UK gets the middle, and the AU gets the best of the best. edited: Prices DO seem to reflect these configs. (1799 for US, guy from UK said he paid 1420 (~2637US), guy from AU didnt post price) Read post below for additional pricing.

Ive read through several forums on tabletpcreview, and noone is asking these questions or making these statements

First, the CPU is the C2D, but the cache is different. The AU (T7200) config of 2.0ghz has 4MB of cache while the US (T5500) and UK (T5600) config is only 2MB. I dont know about everyone else, but to me, that is a HUGE difference. On asus's site, they said there would be a T7400 version, but I cant find any config for that. The CPU speed is an issue, but its something I can live with. If possible, I would like to get my hands on the AU config since it's the best (4MB). Which brings me to my next question.

Power. Will the power cable/brick be US compliant? Ive never been to AU, so I dont know what voltage, or plug they use. Who knows, maybe the power cable/brick will be compliant. EDIT: info on ac adapter "Output: 19 V DC, 3.73A, 65W Input: 100— 240V AC, 50/60Hz universal" So I'm guessing that It should work in the US.

HDD issue, I can deal with.

Please reply w/ any info or other issues I'm not addressing. If anyone can post the price of the unit in AU, that would help too.

Thanks alot for listening.
    sxm

edited: fixed and added info

3. hobbyshop

hobbyshop Pen Pal - Newbie

4. sxm

sxm Pen Pal - Newbie

5. youngmicroserf

youngmicroserf Pen Pal - Newbie

First post, so hello - I've been reading this particular forum as a source of info for my very probable imminent purchase of the ASUS R1F in Germany - which also gets the T7200/120GB model.

Obviously, prices will vary somewhat according to a number of variable, of which ASUS' hedging and marketing policy will be not the least important. But, overall, I'd say that, while model configurations may reflect marketing policy in specific markets, the price seems to reflect the configurations, and not the customer target groups.

The streeet price for a Tecra M7 in Germany, for example, is about 2,800 €, the RRC over 3000, as they're targeting only businesses with tablets in Europe. Sales from other markets, where pricing apparently reflects a different target group, say the educational market in the US, are effectively restricted by binding at least big retailers like amazon.com, and, as usual, localisation issues of keyboard and OS.

And there's also a tendency to forget that most US displayed US prices do not contain any sales taxes or vat, regardless of whether these will be applied or not. That, on the other hand, is the case pretty much everywhere else, including Britain.

The recommended retail price for the computer in Germany is currently, referring to an ASUS brochure, € 2199 which would (*1.25 for USD conversion and /1.16 for VAT deduction) lead to US equivalent of 2382 Dollars RRC. The best street price as of tonight is €1884 plus shipping which would be about 2030 USD (plus shipping and additional localisation issues that will certainly not be taken care of by the retailer).

But given that ASUS offers a global warranty as far as I know, if sales to other continents are possible, why not benefit from globalisation ;).

6. alphaswift

alphaswift Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

You're comparing Apples and Oranges. You guys need to keep in mind that the system specs in NA, Euro and Aus are different. I'd pay the Aus price for their system if I could get my hands on one.

7. youngmicroserf

youngmicroserf Pen Pal - Newbie

Alphaswift, I think the Australian and German version (K017T) have the exact same configuration - and cost about the same rrc.

But as the German price contains 16% VAT and tax free shipping to private non EU customers is possible, you could save if those 16% if you find a shop willing to get an export customs stamp to be allows to reduce the price by the amount of the tax. I'm not sure they would not charge 16% percent for the service as I never bought a computer abroad, but it's a possibility.

It's likely similar in the British case (no idea about Australia), which has the obvious advantages for English speakers...

8. mchinand

mchinand Pen Pal - Newbie

Why aren't the three configurations offered in the different markets, so the consumers can decide which one to purchase?

9. alphaswift

alphaswift Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Well, the three systems listed above in an earlier post all have different configs. To me, UK = Euro. I'm not sure how ASUS breaks their territories.

10. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The UK may be European but it doesn't use the Euro.