R1F FIRST REVIEW and US pricing!!!

Discussion in 'Asus' started by kda, Oct 12, 2006.

1. Tsukiyomi

Tsukiyomi Scribbler - Standard Member

Has anyone else been able to get their hands on this machine? I'm really wondering how good is the base Core 2 Duo compared to the Core Duos that were in the last generation of tablets(not Asus). I had a M400 from Toshiba that they refused to replace when I broke down and I got a refund from them - now I'm looking for a good tablet from a reputable company to replace it with. I know Asus from its graphics cards and motherboards, but how good are their tablets compared with everyone else?

2. Loaf.

Loaf. Scribbler - Standard Member

well this is their first tablet that they have brought to market. they have been in the notebook business tho, and those have been well recieved and are generally of very good quality. probably wont see any reviews on these until mid-late october when the first of the pre-order's get shipped out.

3. mbagga

mbagga Pen Pal - Newbie

WHAT HAPPENED?
    I was sooo excited when I learned that Asus had finally set a date, and we could start to pre-order our R1F's. But then I looked closer...

Initially, it was to have a t5600 for $1799, now its a t5500? That is a huge difference... (1.66 vs 1.83)

Plus, the only thing that is customizable is the ram and hdd speed? I can do that myself if I wanted. Why can't we customize the processor? What is the point of getting a core 2 duo if we cant get the 4mb of L2 cache?

Also what happened to the modular battery? When will that be available?

Finally, is there any way to get credit for the "free gift", or use it towards another accessory perhaps? I have several wireless routers that are sitting in my closet. I dont need another paperweight.

After getting really excited, I feel let down. All that adrenaline wasted, what a shame.

4. PROPortable

PROPortable Scribbler - Standard Member

All accessories for every new Asus model typically come in 4-5 weeks after the first shipment of that system... so the batteries should be available in November some time.

5. unclesam

unclesam Pen Pal - Newbie

...had you been satisfied with M400?...and why would u consider asus this time as it's gonna be their first venture with tablets?...thanx:)

6. hobbyshop

hobbyshop Pen Pal - Newbie

if you configured the R1F (i'm assuming with milestone), would that void the warranty with asus? (Ram, HD)

7. Tsukiyomi

Tsukiyomi Scribbler - Standard Member

My M400 never quite worked right from the first day, so I'm not too satisfied with it or Toshiba's customer service (if you want to know more, I wrote up a long post about my experience in the Toshiba forum). As for why considering Asus, I know their reputuation from motherboards and video cards, so i can be assured that their build quality is good. Also, they are the ODM for Apple and IBM, they also have some sort of joint patent with Fujitsu on tablets - how, I'm not sure.

8. unclesam

unclesam Pen Pal - Newbie

thanx Tsukiyomi...

9. PROPortable

PROPortable Scribbler - Standard Member

I know you guys don't follow us over on the NBR forum, but you should read up over on the asus forum over there a bit as some of these questions can be answered very easily just by searching a bit.

The answer to this is simple..... if you by a system in any form other than stock, you void the 2 year global warranty from Asus and must rely on the dealer picking up some sort of replacement coverage to cover you...... you no longer have the global coverage that allows you to get your system fixed at any Asus facility around the world and nor do you have Asus' support and warranty which you can guarentee will be around in the next 2-3 years to keep you covered.

If you want to add ram, you should do it yourself. If you want a bigger or faster hard drive, you should do that yourself as well and use the drive that comes with the system either for external storage or get the 2nd hard drive kit for the modular bay and use it for addition storage or backups on your R1. That way, you'll have the original parts and maintain your warranty with Asus. They bring in one configuration of every model and that configuration is what I'm referring to as "stock" and "original". Some people think when I say "original" that if they buy it modified, that's still ok. However, Asus has not licensed anyone in the world other than their own techs to modify their systems...... so you should basically get a sealed box straight from Asus if you intended on keeping your warranty.

10. hobbyshop

hobbyshop Pen Pal - Newbie

good point... i mean, if we're paying for the asus warranty (built into the price)... would be wasteful to just void it right away. hehh.. i'll at least wait for a bit. heh