R1F FIRST REVIEW and US pricing!!!

Discussion in 'Asus' started by kda, Oct 12, 2006.

1. mbagga

mbagga Pen Pal - Newbie

After hours of researching and lurking, I have discovered some information that was too important not to be shared. Going through hundreds of google links, I have found the official first complete review of my future tablet, the R1F.

The only problem is that the damn review is in Czech, and I have tried several Czech online translators but each one has failed to translate the page properly. This is why I have come to you, my fellow tableteers. I need your help to decode the valuable message.

The website has done several tests, including battery life, and even operating temperature. I would, and I am sure others would as well, truly appreciate it if someone could translate the important parts for us.

Here is the link:
    http://notebook.cz/__/,clanky,recenze-notebook,2006,asus-r1f,index.html

I have also found a discussion on notebookreview.com where there is a group buy scheme going on. They have discovered:

R1F 13.3"W / T5600 / 1GB / 80GB / SuperMulti / Tablet PC $1799 USD

which I think is a damn good price considering I am a tablet freak and have owned many tablets. 2 Acer tablets(10.4" which was too small, and the 14.1" which was too heavy but was the coolest running laptop I had ever seen), the Compaq slate 10.4" (loved the form factor with detachable keyboard but was slower than hell), and a Fujitsu t4010 (which I recently sold because it got really hot and was too slow to play 3d games very well and I could not get vista to run on it).

I am hoping the 13.3" Asus will be the best of all the worlds, and according to what I could decipher from the review was that it looks very cool, runs very cool, and the performance is amazing.. Wow! I cant wait!!

Anyways, its good to finally be a part of the team, and I hope someone will help us out with the translation.

Peace,

--Deep

2. hobbyshop

hobbyshop Pen Pal - Newbie

do you have a link to where this group buy is? that may be rather interesting... also, is there a ship date set yet?

long time ago, when i was reading about the RIF, i heard that the OS will be installed in the flash so start ups will be REALLY quick... now that it has been released.. i don't see anything about that feature. anybody know anything about that?

3. SimsHsia

SimsHsia "I will do science to it" Senior Member

There's a Asus R1F Tablet PC tour, here. :)

4. hobbyshop

hobbyshop Pen Pal - Newbie

yah.. saw that.. don't see anything about the OS being installed in flash... am i just not seeing it?

5. mbagga

mbagga Pen Pal - Newbie

http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=72918

That is the link for the group buy. There are about 26 pages of stuff, most of it unimportant.

In summary it says there is an Asus reseller called MilestonePC.com that is taking group orders for certain merom notebooks. If orders for that certain notebook reach 150, they will either provide a decent discount or an expensive free gift (battery, warranty, upgrades, etc). You are not obligated to buy the notebook if you decide not to.

Just follow the link on the first page and tell them what notebook you are interested in (R1F WHOO HOO). Advantages are that you will probably be one of the first ones to get the new tablet, PLUS the notebooks will be customized to your liking once they become available. You do not have to pay anything upfront. Just shoot over an email.

So essentially tell everyone to sign up, considering you dont have to buy if you dont want to.

Oh and by the way, anyone translate that review yet?? I am going to have to call Asus tomorrow and bug them some more on ship dates (and ask why the Czech have it before us!!!).

Peace,

--Deep

6. Nrbelex

Nrbelex Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi, I'm running the group buy mentioned above and mbagga pretty much nailed what's going on. If you have any questions feel free to shoot me a PM (at the notebookreview.com forum). I came looking for this thread since we suddenly just got a few orders for this convertible in a row which surprised me. So let as many people as possible know about this to ensure we get the gift Asus will give out with enough orders. We have over 150 members so we're well on our way (you have to assume a good number of people who expressed interest won't actually buy so we still need a bunch more).

Thanks!
    ~ Brett

7. Nrbelex

Nrbelex Pen Pal - Newbie

P.S. - If you want a guess on the release date, it sounds like Asus is aiming to introduce all their Merom-based notebooks/convertibles around October. If you join the group you should be one of the first people in North America to receive it.

~ Brett

8. MilestonePC.com

MilestonePC.com Scribbler - Standard Member

First time to post here, here are some photo I took last week of R1F:

R1F1.JPG

R1F2.JPG

R1F3.JPG

R1F4.JPG

Started from yesterday, I received some e-mail, some people wanted to have R1F added to our group buy list, so far I got 8 request of it in two days, that doesn't look bad.

It is not enough to add it in to our group-buy yet , but I have kept these request on my file and wait for more request, once we can get more request in about 2-3 weeks, say reach 40-50 pcs, we can officially add it to the list.

Right now, I only have a price for it, no ETA yet, but should be after mid Oct.

R1F 13.3"W / T5600 / 1GB / 80GB / SuperMulti / Tablet PC ---- US$1799

9. mbagga

mbagga Pen Pal - Newbie

MID OCTOBER?!?!! What happened to May, then June, July, August, beginning, Mid, then End of Sept, and now Mid October??!?! What is going on? This has to be a joke. I dont even think there is a tablet anymore. I think someone just photoshopped some a fujitsu and wants to see how long people will stay without a laptop.

Plus what happened to the embedded OS?

In addition how is the UK and Australia getting them next week and we cant even get an estimated date of arrival from Asus itself, let alone any resellers?

http://www.retailing.com.au/prod_14...D_2.0_120_1G_13W_XPT_90NGAA1111C1161SA0H.html

These guys say their shipment is coming in on the 14th. Come on Milestone PC, pull some strings and get them for us early, or should we just order them from the Aussie's and enjoy them a few months in advance?

Hey milestone PC, any more pictures or thoughts on the tablet? How did you like it? That is, if it exists...

--Deep

10. MilestonePC.com

MilestonePC.com Scribbler - Standard Member

Two related models with this forum has been made quite long ago, Asus just didn't put them in mass production, I don't know why, I mean R1F and R2H. Late March this year, I saw these two models the first time, I didn't take alot pictures of them, I had couple of pictures posted on NBR.com at that time,
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/showpost.php?p=1318944&postcount=36.

At that time, R1F was just a demo, Asus has not decided how to bring it into the market, that time was an Asus dealer meeting. I was told on that meeting these 2 models should be in the market in June and July.

When I saw these two models the second time last week, they had better sign to come soon, they looked like in prodution already, they had stickers on them, not like the first time, just bare uints, no sticker on them.

They are both solid built like all other Asus models.