R1F availabilty in UK & other R1F info

Discussion in 'Asus' started by mikerogers, Nov 10, 2006.

1. mikerogers

mikerogers Pen Pal - Newbie

For anyone in the UK who is trying to buy an R1F and struggling to find one in stock anywhere, I may have news about stock levels.
    I had to return my R1F, as I mentioned in another thread, as it's touchpad was faulty. I had to press really hard on it to make it work. Reinstalling the drivers, and also trying new ones, didn't solve it by the way.

Since then I have been struggling to get any date for a replacement from anywhere in the UK, so in the end I thought I would phone Asus UK, to ask when new stock was going to arrive.
    I spoke with the Asus UK sales organisation. They say they are aware of some faulty touchpads and they have been working hard to resolve it and other unspecified problems. They didn't say which other problems so I told them about the pen scratching issue, which they say they didn't know about, and also the static through the audio jack problem.
    Anyway they claim that they held back the last shipment in Taiwan, (that was due this week in the UK), to give them time to sort out the problems. Because of this they say shipping is only now about to take place, of several hundred units, and that they will not arrive in the UK for about 2 weeks. It's possible that this may also be affecting the supply of R2H units in the UK as well, although I'm not sure.

I hope this may be of interest to anyone wondering why they can't get hold of the R1F at the moment.

On another point of interest, I asked about any plans for dedicated graphics options for the R1F. They said that they are not aware of any plans but if there are any then it would not appear for about 6 months, as this is the usual minimum product development time. They also said, that because they perceive it as primarily a business machine, and also due to the current fairly high costs of dedicated graphics options that they didn't think it was pending, but possibly when prices on these graphics chips drop.

Mike

2. alphaswift

alphaswift Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

It's more likely that Intel will introduce a chip-set upgrade that will include improved graphics. Asus will more than likely go that route. The next big release is called 'Santa Clara' or 'Santa Rosa' or something like that ( google it ). The big new thing for the chip set is supposed to include the instant-on support via Flash memory enhanced hard drives. I can't remember anything on a graphics upgrade though.

3. mikerogers

4. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Mike, I know you have been in touch with asusnotebooks.co.uk but have you tried them again recently.
    Ask for Lima, she may be able to give you further news.

5. mikerogers

Yes thanks, I have been in touch with them yesterday, and she was talking about a possible 2 more weeks as their shipment hadn't arrived this week as planned.
    On that basis I asked for a refund and decided to wait until they arrive and also have a look at other options.
    Maybe I need to call them again from what you are saying.

BUT... I may buy the higher spec model from Germany for the same price (inc delivery). The more I thought about it the more I found myself feeling really quite irritated that another country, and indeed another EU country, receives a better spec machine than we do in the UK, for the same price. Tablet PCs already cost a premium price as it is.
    Indeed Austria gets the higher spec model as well but their taxes are very high.
    I am trying to get confirmation that no extra tax is payable and that the warranty is ok here in the UK, and then if I might go ahead with that. However if I do I will probably get a full pre-delivery inspection.

I still haven't finally decided what to do. I loved the machine, apart from it's problems, (touchpad, sound prob and pen scratching). By the way, I found the Intel onboard graphics (Intel GMA 950) quite competent really.
    It's a little annoying that these issues seem to be present on early models, and particulary as it's Asus who are usually so good about quality.
    Possibly I sense a rush to market on this product.
    It might be worth waiting until these problems are rectified, hopefully very soon.

Mike