R1F Audio jack static sounds

Discussion in 'Asus' started by son_goku, Nov 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eva04

eva04 Scribbler - Standard Member

So, i was at uni today bored out of my brain. Decided to listen to some music. For the very first time I stuck my earphones into the audio jack and immediately i hear this static (hissing) sound (and it was on mute!). So i moved the mouse, and the static sound changed... it was as though the static was playing interference from the CPU processing. Oh yes, and the static becomes worse when i plug in the AC adapter. Sounds like EM Interferance?

Thinking it may have been the earphones i got another set and tested them, same thing. Took them and used it on an ipod; perfect sound quality... So i'm absolutely sure its the tablet.

I contacted Asus regarding the problem and got a reply saying i should upgrade audio drivers and flash the bios. Checked it out at the Asus website and it turns out i'm up to date. But I installed it anyway and the problem still exists.

Anybody out there with n R1F have the same problem? Maybe i got a faulty batch? Any help would be appreciated. I'll be calling Asus again sometime this week.

Cheers,
    Will

2. youngmicroserf

youngmicroserf Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi Will,

I had a notebook once that was completely useless for any kind of audio tasks because of the problem. While I suppose it must be hard to isolate the audio hardware from interferences, there are notebook manufacturers who manage to do so. I'm seriously hoping this is a problem of your particular machine and not one that is a design consequence. It would make me reconsider my intent to purchase the machine.

However, what I did before (and what has become more convenient since) is using USB audio hardware. Here (in Germany) there's a tiny USB Key like USB sound card for about 10€. It's probably also available where you are. Sure, a workaround, but one that's not too damaging to the mobility of the tablet.

Still, I'd also very much appreciate a response from anyone who already uses the R1F.

Thanks.

YMS

3. sxm

sxm Pen Pal - Newbie

i'd like to know the same. it would be a shame if I cannot watch videos w/ headphones

4. eva04

Hi YMS,
    No.. I don't think you understand, the static interference is horrible. I do have another laptop and do know what "normal" interference/static with earphones should sound like.. The static on the R1F is noticably worse. As for the USB sound cards, I've googled around and yeah... some people have taken on that approach and still ended up with the static sounds. I'll see what Asus has to say about it first.

sxm, if you want the R1F for videos, I really wouldn't recommend it. The screen is "grainy" and it does take getting-used-to. I'm used to it as it looks strikingly similar to a pda with a screen protector over it. I'm not saying the quality is -that- bad, but it would be far better on a normal lcd.

Cheers,
    Will

5. deepak

deepak Scribbler - Standard Member

hey isn't the graniness of the screen due to the wacom filter or whatever it is called. I am going to see an R1F this coming weekend and i'm eager to see how it looks. i will do a detailed analysis of the laptop before buying and i'll hopefully put up my review about it. thanks to eva04 about the static thing i'll check it out too before placing an order.

6. eva04

Called Asus regarding the interference i was experiencing. The techy told me to reinstall audio drivers and reflash the bios, of which i've already tried. He said if it's within 7 days of purchase I can return it to my retailer for exchange. So that's what I'm doing. I wish I could change it for something better... but there just isn't >.<

Also asked him about the pen scratches in the silo of which supernova brought to our attention. He said that if I could prove to them that the laptop 'silo' itself was the cause of the scratches, it would be covered by warranty. Armed with that information, I ever so slightly pushed the pen into the silo.... and on retracting it out from the silo.... there was a light scratch on the pen already. Imagine if i had put it in like any regular guy, it'd probably end up like Supernovas.

So just a heads up to those who are planning on getting an R1F. THE R1F HAS A STYLUS SILO PROBLEM. USE IT AT UR OWN RISK.

Cheers,
    Will

7. Pezhead

Pezhead Pen Pal - Newbie

I've had my R1F for about Two weeks and I've noticed the Same static Sounds. this is very common on small Laptops. My Picturebook Vaio had a similar problem. I haven't played it on external speakers yet. I noticed on my picture book that it was worse on earphones.

8. eva04

Hi Pezhead,
    Well i'm not too sure about the picturebook of yours, but i've got a Dell and my brother has an Asus W3N.. neither of them give static sounds, well no where near the intensity i get on the R1F.

Anyway, I'm returning the tablet tomorrow for replacement, hopefully the new one will eliminate this problem if not dampen it.

Ah yes, I wasn't able to take note of the URL but I read that the static could be caused by a driver issue. ie software & hardware not working nicely with eachother. If this is the case, i'm sure Asus are able to fix it if we all complain about it.... The techy I talked to today said he wasn't able to help me as there the tablet was too new and had no past problems/solutions to work from.

9. sxm

sxm Pen Pal - Newbie

so, if it is under warranty, does asus offer a replacement pen, or do they fix the actual problem like smoothing the opening?

you should have video recorded the act of inserting teh brand new pen and taking out the pen, like 10 seconds worth of video and zooming to where the scratches are.

whoever does a review and takes the guts to use the silo, please record the act. thanks

10. eva04

LoL! It's a 50$ stylus, i dont know if i want to put it thru again... As for the warranty, all he said was 'well if you can prove that the scratches were caused by the faulty pen holder, it would be covered by warranty' he didnt say if the pen would be replaced or whether they'll fix the silo, of which i dont think is possible unless they're going to do a mass recall, take them all apart, file down the aluminum framing and slap on a layer of plastic protector...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.