R1F Audio Jack Static Poll

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Loaf., Nov 16, 2006.

1. mattj

mattj Scribbler - Standard Member

Great tabby! Would buy 10 if i had the money, just so they could sit there n look pretty.

Does everything i ever needed it to do and more. (been playing quake 4 on in the last few days.. sure its at low res., but still possible)

The pen scratching isn't happening any more. (use a needle file and grind it away for at least 20 mins. it would be better if u unscrewed the bottom, but it's good enough to just get in there and file back all 3 ribs. the last ones a lil tough to get too, but patience n perseverence is the key)

Everything else is all good. Only thing is this static!

======================================================================================

So here's the idea. Everyone with the static problem should post a msg here saying "yeh or neh" and where they got their tabby from n what version it is including any mods or addons and then we can kindly ask Justin to contact his buddies in Asus and give them the results.

Even if we only had 10-20 people, that's heaps considering that a large majority of purchasers are businesspeople who a) bought it as a gimic, b) don't have time to listen to headphone on it, c) bought it through the company and would just give it back to IT and ask for another notebook instead.

======================================================================================

So here is how you test for static on your R1F :

1. unplug the power cord.
    2. plug in any old ear/headphones into headphone jack
    3. select high performance mode
    4. turn volume up on full
    5. turn ear/headphone volume up on full
    6. move mouse around
    7. open windows
    8. drag windows around
    9. turn on mic
    10. turn on mic boost
    11. turn off mic boost DAMN!!
    12. remove ear/headphones
    13. plug yourself back into power

and

14. Add yourself to the list and say where u got ur tabby from n what version it is including any mods or addons.

Jobbo

2. mattj

* yeh.

* Australian R1F - T7200, 1GB Ram, Fujitsu 120GB SATA 5400RPM.

* No mods or addons.

Jobbo

3. alphaswift

alphaswift Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I think the info you want to collect is already inside the 'main' static thread. The problem would be pretty obvious to Asus if they were to walk through that thread.

Even though this thread represents a tiny percentage of all R1F owners, the problem is clear....where there's smoke, there's fire.

4. MilestonePC.com

MilestonePC.com Scribbler - Standard Member

Alphaswift is correct, this is a problem, an unfortunate one, but the R1F is still a great tablet.

I would also suggest you actually make a poll, you know one at the top, with 2 options or more.

5. mattj

how the f### do u make a poll? I can't see it. But then again. i don't live on here.

can someone else do it? I've got work to do.

Also i doubt that asus is gonna just randomly hop onto this site and read negative reviews.

I also doubt that all asus tab pc users will hop onto this site and i doubt that every r1f user even posts or reads forums on their device.

so i think a poll is necessary, but i just didn't know how to create it.

someone more intelligent than me can do it.

jobbo

6. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

And with an attitude like that your not going to get much help either.

What about the work we have to do, or does that not count?

Then what is the point of all this?
    Again, then why bother?

To create a poll is straightforward; When you create a new topic, before submitting, look towards the bottom of the topic creation window and you will see a small section named 'Post a Poll'.
    By the side of this is a window which you need to tick, followed by adding a number from 2 to 10 (the amount of Polls you wish to name).
    Then follow the instructions later in the Poll Options by adding a poll title for each of the numbers you are creating.
    Finally fill in the Poll Timeout if you wish it to finish on a certain date.

That's the easy way out.
    If we all had that attitude nothing would get done.
    All you need do is ask nicely.

7. eva04

eva04 Scribbler - Standard Member

I spoke with the tech when i picked the tabby up yesteday. He had tried 5 other R1Fs and they ALL had the static problem. I don't think it is to do with the sample size we have here (if anything its better since its world wide cases). I believe, that its the fact that people who have purchased it have not discovered the flaw yet. It took me a week to discover it. Either that or they find the problem minute as they don't use earphones.

Whatever it may be, we have yet to find a person without static sounds. I think it is safe to say Asus stuffed up this time. It is highly probable to be a design flaw.

Cheers,
    Will

8. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

It would be nice if everyone who noticed this problem contacted ASUS.
    Strength in numbers to admit there is a problem and hurry the fix!

9. techaholic

techaholic Pen Pal - Newbie

Well I just plugged my head phones and I had no static at all.

R1F T7200 from Aussi land.

Sweet tablet, Vista 64 running like a Champ, except the rotate button.

10. alphaswift

alphaswift Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I think someone mentioned the rotation button is fixed with the beta Intel video driver for Vista. Search the forums.