R1f arrives...

Discussion in 'Asus' started by PROPortable, Oct 18, 2006.

1. Loaf.

Loaf. Scribbler - Standard Member

err probably not. those are probably just the copied specs from asus' global site. actual specs are at the top where you can actually configure it.

2. hobbyshop

hobbyshop Pen Pal - Newbie

would the US models come with just 1 stick of 1G ram? I was under the impression that it would be 2 x 512mb

yes, the extras should come with the tablet

and i think upgrading would void the warranty. asus only warranties the original config.

3. Nrbelex

Nrbelex Pen Pal - Newbie

Indeed :)

I can answer this... if you don't mind - Yes, any upgrades beyond RAM and the hard drive void the Asus warranty. Some even say upgrading the HD may do so but it's generally not considered an issue.

~ Brett

4. hobbyshop

hobbyshop Pen Pal - Newbie

so ram and hard drive upgrades don't void the manufacturer warranty from ASUS? how do you know? i was under the impression that any changes from spec would void warranty.. so keep the original sticks of ram, etc in case you need to make a claim..

maybe i misunderstood..

5. Nrbelex

Nrbelex Pen Pal - Newbie

www.notebookreview.com, the sister-site to tabletpcreview.com, has threads about exactly this topic found here, here & here. I hope that helps.

~ Brett

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  6. PROPortable

PROPortable Scribbler - Standard Member

Upgrading the ram and hard drive won't void the warranty - but if you don't have the original ram and hard drive upon warranty work, there's a good chance that the warranty will be voided. If a dealer offers to swap you your stock ram or hard drive - there's than obviously no way to go back.

Now, if the problem isn't related to those parts you swapped, they may never notice, but if your motherboard goes, those parts are all taken out and if the trace the problem back to that install - the warranty will be voided.

In terms of how portableone describes what they do with asus ensembles - I'd like to see proof of that. All of the hard drives in asus notebooks are "shock mounted" - they have a rubber bumper under the drive cover which helps absorb shock...... other than that, it's fancy marketing at best.

7. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Excellent sound advice there Justin and it's one that we all should well remember.

Again to hark on Justins words ~ if you change either the original RAM or Hard drive, ensure you keep the original, otherwise you may very well void the warranty in an unfortunate return.

8. Tsukiyomi

Tsukiyomi Scribbler - Standard Member

Fortunately, the problem is really down the RAM, since it comes with that traveller's drawer to add a SATA drive. And if you need more than that...buy a file server perhaps?

9. sxm

sxm Pen Pal - Newbie

so, dealers should NOT be offering to "upgrade" the hdd or ram, because we wont have the originals to get our warranty.

umm, does the US R1F come with 1x1GB or 2X512MB of RAM??

if it comes with 1x1GB, and we insert another 1GB stick, and we send the item in for repairs, will asus void our warranty?

thanks for answering our questions Justin and asnwering the marketing of shock protected hdds

10. PROPortable

PROPortable Scribbler - Standard Member

Yes..... we've been doing it this way for years now and there are always people who don't believe us or think we don't do it because we're not capable. We put more value in Asus' warranty than we do the extra money that would come from an upgrade like that which takes 3-4 minutes tops. If you're offered to upgrade for a nominal charge, you're certainly not getting the original parts with the unit... I could get into the ethics of this stuff, like the fact that the ram, hard drive, and cpu would need to be resold in a custom system (used parts which are then sold as new - no one will say your parts may be coming off of an ensemble) - but that's an issue for us as well.

If you don't have the original parts, Asus can tell you to go back to your dealer. The US may be more leinent in some situations, but Taiwan isn't... and that means the global warranty is diffinately history... they don't care and they don't touch the system if one thing is out of place.

Like said about, the hard drive is no big deal. It's not a big money item, but you could install it in the second hard drive kit and use it for backups and extra storage..... no biggie at all...... and ram, for the most part, is just an added item.

What it really comes down to is the cpu... if that's swapped, you're physically breaking the warranty sticker and that's an obvious breach of the warranty and even if it weren't, you wouldn't want to have a cpu which costs a fourtune just sitting around doing nothing..