R1f arrives...

Discussion in 'Asus' started by PROPortable, Oct 18, 2006.

1. Tsukiyomi

Tsukiyomi Scribbler - Standard Member

Once I get my R1F, I'll do my best to write a review of it, but it probably won't be until the weekend that I have it done.

2. hobbyshop

hobbyshop Pen Pal - Newbie

that's SO great that there are extras! ASUS never ceases to amaze... heh, funny that they didn't let people know until they shipped them out.

justin, i'm amused that you're upset that you've sold out all your units.. just goes to show that you're more of an asus-lover than a business out for money!

3. Anonymouse

Anonymouse A nondescript mouse

Well, not to say that he's not an asus lover, but I bet he wishes he wasn't out of stock with such a high demand right now, so that he could sell more to people. Of course, if he was out of stock after selling 50,000 of them, then I don't think he'd be so upset ;)

4. supernova

supernova Pen Pal - Newbie

I mentioned those extras in my review! Except the 2nd hard drive kit - slash - drawer. I haven't tested it yet but it looks very solid and decent.

It was silly me who mentioned the wobble and I agree it's not as bad as I made it out to be. It's my first notebook with a centre hinge so I wasn't used to the screen being able to move left to right at all, even if tiny.

The only thing I'm unhappy about is Windows xp... I wish I could install Apple's Tiger on this machine! less crashes and software hangups. And as I mentioned previously, I installed the Wacom Enhanced Driver and because it caused my startup to be painfully slow, I uninstalled it. But startup remained slow. So I did a CCleaner on it to remove dead registry lines, but still slow. Now I'm thinking of reformatting and reinstalling Windows. What a pain.

5. PROPortable

PROPortable Scribbler - Standard Member

Well, trust me, those in this business for money aren't in it for long - usually by time they get their first year taxes done they realize what's up.... Yes, they make great products, but it's always an uphill battle to inform people. Like right now, I'm happy with say the R1, and I'm upset that there aren't more right now because after those of you in this forum get the ones you have, the word will start buzzing about them and that's when the real demand picks up and wow.... there's nothing to sell. So, after a big build up of advanced orders and just the general noise generated by a new product...... by time all of those out there who have either waited for them to actually physically appear and maybe even wait for some forum members to get theirs and give it a little review - there's nothing left.

So, actually in the end it becomes more of a pain in the rear because people will call and email and im and whatever else and ask about them and if they were actually in stock, they could just order them and we probably wouldn't even need to answer any questions....... but when they're out of stock, we get the questions from "when will they be back?", to "I thought this was new and why don't you have any?"

So, although I know a new tablet from Asus isn't going to sell 50k units, and it certainly wouldn't even sell the 400-500 at launch that the W3v's did last year...... being limited to a couple dozen is pathetic..... even if no one really buys them at first, there are more than a couple dozen people interested the day it first appeared in the spring at one of the computer shows..... so it's just not the perfect situation.

6. Nrbelex

Nrbelex Pen Pal - Newbie

The group-buy through MilestonePC has not yet filled its pre-order so check out my sig for more info.

~ Brett

7. Loaf.

Loaf. Scribbler - Standard Member

PortableOne recently added the R1F to the list of tablets they sell as well.

8. sxm

sxm Pen Pal - Newbie

does the bt mouse and the carrying cases come included with the laptop? if so, then other resellers such as milestonepc and portable one should have them as well, right?

9. sxm

sxm Pen Pal - Newbie

ohh one more question... this one is to proportable... I see that some resellers have options to "upgrade" the r1f. doesnt upgrading anything void the warranty?

10. sxm

sxm Pen Pal - Newbie

wow, they list the specs as 2.0 GHz, shock mounted hard drive, 1x1GB Ram....??? is this correct?