R1f arrives...

Discussion in 'Asus' started by PROPortable, Oct 18, 2006.

1. PROPortable

PROPortable Scribbler - Standard Member

Ok, well the R1f's have shipped from California and will arrive sometime next week. This means that our advanced order is closed and the remainder of the stock will go live. Only 18 units remain from what will be here on Wednesday.

2. hobbyshop

hobbyshop Pen Pal - Newbie

That's great! Thanks for the update!

Do you know how long the turnaround will take from when you get the shipment from Cali to when you can ship them out again?

3. PROPortable

They're leaving California today, we should have them on Tuesday or Wednesday. This would mean Wednesday or Thursday shipping from us to the advanced order customers...... then orders that come in from today on, would ship starting the following day.

Now that the units are in the US, the advanced order is closed. Now, for any placing an order from here on out, you need to follow the directions above to get one of the gifts as part of the member program. Those who placed advanced orders were able to get these without any quota on posts or membership length -

4. Tsukiyomi

Tsukiyomi Scribbler - Standard Member

Wow! That's great news! So we're looking at Friday/Saturday delivery back to California or so? Can finally stop using my old laptop for school. Cheers!

5. PROPortable

Sorry guys, as of 1:30pm EST - we're sold out. If you already have an order in, from this morning or were part of the advanced orders, your tablet will be here towards the middle of next week and some may even get it prior to the weekend, but we'll have to see what day this coming week they actually come in...... If they come in on Tuesday, we can ship on Wednesday and 2Day shipping means Friday delivery. If they come in on Wednesday or even Thursday, it mean Monday or Tuesday delivery.

6. PROPortable

We're working on getting another small shipment for the week of the 22nd. Anyone who was unable to get an order in can send me an email directly and I will let you know if there's going to be available stock for you from that shipment and basically put your name on one if you want. There aren't going to be many, so for right now I'd rather not allow backorders through the site. Basically now that we've shown a shipment has arrived, the interest in them just went up about three fold and frankly there may not be enough stock to fulfill the interest we've seen today since we told people the advanced order customers will be getting theirs soon...... so since only a select group of people will ever read this message, I'm telling you the only way to have even the oppurtunity to get one from the next shipment would be to drop me over an email.

7. sxm

sxm Pen Pal - Newbie

when people get their r1f's, please please review them.. I would like to see more reviews than just the one avalible. Thanks.

8. PROPortable

I don't think will be a problem...... but I'll warn you... people tend to leave the forums once they recieve their new system - granted they get what they expected - they seem to just go to work with it. 100% of people who don't like something will find every way to tell people about it - forums, etc. I'd say I've seen close to maybe 5% of people who love what they get review it and try to help others understand why they like it.... but that's rare.. i'd say those people have to be totally blown away and also have little to no life to get back to........ When you consider most people are taking time out to do research, once they get it, there's no need for that anymore. So those that do share their experience really should be praised......

.... I guess all I'm saying is that don't be surprised if no one talks about it once they get it because they very well may just get back to their lives...

9. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Very true.....

... and thank you for the kind thoughts. :)

10. PROPortable

Just a few things I'd like to point out on the US R1F. I just recieved a couple units that we had overnighted to verify the configuration of the packages that we're getting on Wednesday. There are a few things that were unexpected that simply make this a better purchase and also just wanted to address one issue I noticed some others talking about....

Extras:

1. instead of simply coming with the travelers drawer, these packages are coming with the 2nd hard drive kit.. That's a $35 item that by itself can be used as a travelers drawer, but could also accept an SATA hard drive for extra space or backups.

2. The DVD burner is a slot drive..... Doesn't suit everyone's fancy, but it's only the second model we've ever had that has sported one and it's the first super slim 8x super multi burner to have a slot load.... so that's super high end in itself and expensive.

3. The system will come with a nice khaki colored carrying case and a bluetooth mouse. Also, it will come with a nice khaki colored carry sleeve, which was certainly not known prior.

Build:

The production unit is just like, if not slightly more refined from the demo we had earlier in the summer. The only concern I've seen anyone mention around the world was something about the screen wobbeling. It is on a pivot point and if you pull on the left or side side it will move around a bit, however in terms of the opening and closing, that's as solid as any other Asus notebook. I don't think this will be a problem for anyone, as it is even tighter on the pivot itself than the demo, which I thought was just as tight as any other convertible with a pivot that I've ever used. It's just the fact there is no way to support the edges to keep from having a little bit of rotational movement, but I can certainly say that it's only when you physically pull at it. So, I'm happy with the finished product. I'm just upset that we are already sold out of them.... Hopefully, we'll be able to get a bit more for next week, but even those are going to go fast. I already have a list that started on Friday that is a dozen of so people long just from this forum. If you're interested, I can certainly do my best to help out, but in the end production is limited and the US supply is pathetic and will be for the rest of the year.