R1F accessories & performance questions

Discussion in 'Asus' started by eva04, Oct 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jdwilson

jdwilson Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm tempted by the R1F. I was looking hard at the Gateway & Toshiba 14" models, as I want a desktop replacement. I know that seems kind of counter-intuitive, but then I take it to long meetings and I have everything with me and I can work on my email & stuff without having a laptop up in front of my face. I just lost my Acer TMC300 model when I left my last job, and I want to get a more powerful processor than Acer offers currently. I definitely got the slows when running a lot of software even though I had upgraded memory and HD to 7200 rpm.

So my #1 hesitation is the low end processor, but it seems from reading the forums that Asus is not going to offer a higher end processor in the states. So that's not my question. If anyone has any insights as to a performance comparison between the Gateway & Asus core duo TPCs that would be great, but I suspect it is a little early for that.

My question is about upgrades.
    1) I saw a "cooling base" marketed as an upgrade to the R1F, but I don't know what this item is. Comments I've seen suggest that the Asus is not as hot as my old Acer was.

2) Is a docking station available for the R1F or just a third-party port replicator? I love being able to plug in one cable and be powered, hooked up to a desktop monitor (for multi-monitor) and my printer. Can't do all that with a port replicator usually.

3) Is there any advantage/disadvantage to ordering MS Office pre-installed by the vendor? This means opening up the Asus box of course so I just wondered if anyone had any insights on that question since it seems like the software comes less expensive that way. I've got MS Office 2000 running right now and I guess I'm ready for an upgrade.

4) I think I saw a reference to a video upgrade, but I could be getting mixed up with another brand. Is there an option here (either Asus or aftermarket)? I really wanted an upgrade when I started using some simple GIS software and it took forever to render new maps, especially if I was also working on images in a photo editor as well.

If I buy the Asus, I'll probably buy a 7200 rpm drive and swap it out, keeping the factory drive for backup. I had very good results with this on my Acer and it is so much easier than other backup methods that it helps me keep up to date on backups.

I also appreciate all the advice about not ordering memory upgrades installed by the vendor; if I go to 2 GB then I'll do it myself. I'm glad that Asus didn't install 2x512 at least, that really annoys me when all the slots are loaded up.

This is my first post here but I used to post over at tabletpcbuzz on my Acer. Not much of an Asus group there so here I am . . .

John

2. Pyxus

Pyxus Pen Pal - Newbie

There is no docking station For the R1F (and no connector on the bottom, so they don't plan to release one apparently). Belkin is coming up (soon) with a nice docking Solution using the PCI-express slot though.
    Video is integrated (GMA950) so not upgradeable. The processor however is upgradeable...
    I posted Some "first impressions" about this tablet on Gottabemobile.com forums... (which kind of took over TabeetpcbuzZ forums)

3. PROPortable

PROPortable Scribbler - Standard Member

1. Whoever you saw that marketed by - it's not an Asus product and the R1 is probably one of the last computers that would need something like a cooling plate.

2. Nope, no docking station set.

3. Office 2000 sucks on XP... Office XP sucks on XP... You want Office 2003 SP2. You know, software really isn't cheaper like that.... OEM copies are cheaper than Retail copies, but you can still buy an OEM copy if you wanted, you typically just have to buy it with a hard drive or something like that.

4. Integrated Intel 950 graphics - I'll tell you right now that a tablet user really doesn't want the added cost, heat or lower battery life dedicated graphics would provide. the integrated solutions of today are actually as good as even the best dedicated cards of only a couple years ago.

5. If you go 7200rpm - get a seagate - they're quieter, more efficent (battery battery life, less heat). I wouldn't suggest it in a tablet period - I really wouldn't suggest it in anything under a 14" and even that's pushing it..... If you know what the benefits of the faster speed is and how you're making use of them - then that's one thing, but most people who think they need one both don't know how it helps and/or certainly really don't make use of it. The only bad thing about 7200rpm is that you've ALWAYS got that speed... it's not variable like the cpu or something.

Don't know what advice you'd want about not ordering your system with more memory but doing it yourself... what advice do you need when you already know you'll do it yourself?

4. jdwilson

Yes, Seagate 7200rpm is what I had before. I found it useful because I was doing a lot of work that tended to use lots of virtual memory - anyhow, the HD was always running and I often found myself waiting on it. After the upgrade, I noticed a definite performance improvement. I hadn't thought about the battery hit until visiting this site, but for me it is probably worth it.

No, there was no question hidden in the comment about memory. That was just appreciation for the expanation of the warranty issue which had never occured to me before reading your posts.

I agree about Office 2003 (although I think it is just a bumped up version of Office XP). Actually, Office 2000 is running pretty well for me under Windows XP Home right now but I do run into compatibility issues with files from more recent versions and there is the support issue to be concerned about.

Anyhow, whatever I decide on, I'm going to wait until the Vista coupon is available. That's actually ideal from my point of view, buy XP Tablet and get the opportunity for a free upgrade whenever I feel the bugs are worked out of Vista.

John

5. sxm

sxm Pen Pal - Newbie

ok, let me ask this w/o any other questions, in the hopes it wont get overlooked.

so is the ram, 1x1gb or 2x512mb?

ive asked once beforein another thread, but was never answered.

6. jdwilson

I've seen in some other threads 1x1gb.

7. Pyxus

Pyxus Pen Pal - Newbie

Mine came with 1x1Gb stick...

8. PROPortable

PROPortable Scribbler - Standard Member

Yes, the R1f in the US comes with a 1 x 1gb + 1 open SO-DIMM for a total of 2gb now - 4gb in the future through 2 x 2gb sticks.

I'll tell you right now, as an office 2k / XP / 03 user, xp bombed out more than 2k, but it wasn't even good... 03 is great, especially with SP2.... but of course we're going to have 07 out with Vista...

9. eva04

eva04 Scribbler - Standard Member

Hi,
    Mine came with 2x512, Australian configuration. I thought all of them came like that for dual channel purposes. Nevertheless, i had it replaced with 2x1gb.

Will

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.