R1E "power on" problem

Discussion in 'Asus' started by r031nl, Aug 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. r031nl

r031nl Pen Pal - Newbie

I have a problem with my Asus R1E. Sometimes when I switch the notebook on, it directly falls out. The only thing I see is the LED of the hdd stays on for 1 second. It mostly happens after I took the laptop to somewhere. The only thing I can do, to bring the notebook alive again, is to press the reset button on the bottom of the laptop with a paperclip, or take the battery out for a few seconds.

I deal with this problem for half a year now, but the last time it happens more and more. So I decided to send the laptop to Asus' repair center. Today I got it back, unrepaired, with the message: Test OK, NB starts normally and even after 4 hours it doesn't falls out.

Is there anyone who has the same problem, or can give advise about what to do? Thanks in advance.

2. alphaswift

alphaswift Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The only thing I could think of is pretty low-tech. Use a piece of thin tape to hold the switch in place, but allow for side-to-side movement of the switch. Ugly, but it may be better than what you're doing now.

3. r031nl

r031nl Pen Pal - Newbie

@alphaswift: I don't mean that the button is falling out, but my laptop stops working after I switch it on.

4. alphaswift

alphaswift Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I'm just guessing, but maybe there's a bad power connector made worse by shaking the notebook. Asus should have tried shaking the laptop (slightly) to see if there's a problem rather than just let it sit there.

I'd suggest trying it yourself. When do have it working, turn it off and shake it slightly and see if it shuts down. Both of the actions you describe to fix the problem involve turning the laptop over, so just trying doing that before trying to turn it on again.

5. r031nl

r031nl Pen Pal - Newbie

I've tried what you said. The problem indeed occurs when I have shaked the laptop. But when I shake it while it's turned on, there is no problem. The strange thing is, that the laptop is sended by mail to the repair center. I'm pretty sure it has shaked a lot in transport, because when I received it back, the problem was there.

I think I make sure the laptop doesn't turn on, and then send it back again to see what Asus will do about it. Thanks for your replies anyway.

6. r031nl

r031nl Pen Pal - Newbie

I want to let know that my R1E is repaired properly for this problem. The second time they didn't just send the laptop back unrepaired. Instead, they contact me to specify the exact problem. Good service from Asus! Eventually they replaced the battery and the whole bottom case, so probably it had something to do with the connection of the battery.

7. mufunyo

mufunyo Pen Pal - Newbie

I've noticed it has something to do with temperature. If it gets "too cold" the fan starts blowing full speed for two seconds and the unit shuts off. Sounds to me like a temperature counter wrapping somewhere and going from 0 to MAX_INT or something. I sort of wish I'd had my R1E repaired during its warranty term, but I could never find the receipt and I was put off by the fact it has a crack in the case and figured they'd just point to that as the cause of whatever I was trying to get repaired.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.